Metal Building or Wood Building ?

I have a 36 x 48 metal pole barn.
wood 6 x 6's and 2 x 6 purlins all around with steel sheeting on the sides and roof.
From a construction point it was quicker and cheaper than wood frame construction.
If your looking at all steel, they are sometimes cheaper, but I like to have some wood to drive a nail in once in a while.
Bobmo

I have a 36 x 48 metal pole barn.
wood 6 x 6's and 2 x 6 purlins all around with steel sheeting on the sides and roof.
From a construction point it was quicker and cheaper than wood frame construction.
If your looking at all steel, they are sometimes cheaper, but I like to have some wood to drive a nail in once in a while.
Bobmo
What about the life of the building? Which one is more durable and long-lasting?

bkfj40

Wishin i was in Wydaho
SILVER Star

longest lasting would be a concrete building...but it wouldn't be the easiest on the budget.

how big of a building are you looking at? what is your budget?

those are the two things that will likely drive the design

longest lasting would be a concrete building...but it wouldn't be the easiest on the budget.

how big of a building are you looking at? what is your budget?

those are the two things that will likely drive the design
I am looking for a 2 car garage.

I built a 30X40 shop over 15 years ago.
I welded my own girders and tied them together with angle iron then lathed the sides with 2X4's on 24 inch centers and 2X6's on the roof on 19 inch centers then covered everything with metal siding.
Lined the inside with r21 on eoof and 19 on walls.

A few years ago found some &^%$$# termites on one upper corner but they didn't seem to hurt the metal part much.
I guess I should have used treat but always heard that it should only be used for the base because of fumes.
With all the welding, painting and plasma cutting dust and fumes the treat would have been like an air freshener.

My regret other than wishing for more square footage is I went with ten foot walls.
Wish I had gone twelve.

It took 36 yards of concrete, Had to do a 5ft X 40 ft wall before the floor was pored, metal and wood, and a couple of friends that was willing to work for some BBQ and beer came to just shy of $10K .
Probably double that now.

Concrete costs will come close to your budget. Id just call up the metal building companies and get to comparing....prices vary wildly with roof style, size, wind resistance, and wall height.

Lil'John

SILVER Star

Location might help.

I wouldn't sweat the material too much. Wood houses last longer than humans by a long shot; one of my houses was build in the 50s and looks good. My current house was build in late 70s and is also in good shape.

Size would concern me a bit more as the larger the building might dictate wood vs metal especially if you want to keep the middle open. But a 'two car' garage isn't a big span.

Metal would concern me lightly because of the potential condensation on the inside of the roof.

As someone else noted, if you are doing any concrete, a typical 18'x20' garage will eat up a good portion of your budget quickly; I JUST did a 2500 sq-ft driveway and it was double your budget. :eek: Granted, this was in Calif and way in BFE. But it had minimum of grading work.

Top Bottom