Membership Exclusivity (1 Viewer)

do we allow membership of non-toyota owners?

• Yes

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • Yes, but by review only.

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reading a few comments here on the board and a few discussions with friends, I have a poll I'd like everyone to think hard about and then vote. It's a simple yes or no question and the voting will be anonymous.

As a "TOYOTA" club should it be "mandatory" that each paying member be a TOYOTA owner?

My two concerns are first that we have potential non-owners who would like to be members but have at this point been excluded. Second is that we open up membership to Non-owners and then the flood gates open and everyone and their momma joins us cuz now we're a 4x4 club.

Your thoughts?

FYI:
I will abstain from voting so as not to sway any votes.

Last edited:
I think something like:

(linear inches of desert pin stripping)/(sq inch chrome) * (percentage of Toyota + instances of trail damage + # of solid axles)

Should be used to determine eligability.

well there are several nice guys out there with like minded interests who wheel with the group, or plan to in the future. i think we could keep the cruiser cameradere while a few non toyotas join in the fun dont you??

I won't vote as it would constitute a conflict of interest.

Since we are probably what precipitated this discussion, for those of you who don't know us, a little background:

We used to live, canoe and wheel in AZ for some 8 years full-time until we moved away in 2000 :frown:, and recently became part-time residents again :). I have had my FJ40 since December 2004, and 2005 Thanksgiving and around Christmas went wheeling with some members of the Copper State Cruisers and others that hang out here on the board. My husband Michael wheels a GMC Jimmy and joined for some of the runs. He liked the runs, he liked the people, and he appreciated that he could join in. He also participated in some discussions on this forum, and after all this, he felt, it was time to support the club and pay a membership fee. Because he also knows and wrenches on my cruiser, we felt there was some connection..........:D

We don't want to make a big deal out of this; hell, our schedules have been so that I could make it to only one Sonic cruise in the past year. Michael would make sure to keep his truck out of any group pictures on official Club runs. If we were to be real sticklers for detail, he should be the member of the club, since the AZ registration for the FJ40 actually runs in his name......... :whoops:

Again, we don't feel too strongly about this and won't be offended either way. After all, we have been cruising the Copper State long before this club existed ;p, and will continue to do so in the future. Hope to see you out there on the trails..........:grinpimp:

I was not satisfied with just voting No... I need to elaborate.

Not sure of the context here but here is my personal feelings.

If the requirements say Must own a toyota... that is a requirement.

But... if someone tells me they own one and joins, I will never bird dog to find out.

Claudia,

You (or Michael) aren't really the ones who brought this to my attention. As a matter of fact Michael gets in cause he's married to you, and you own a Cruiser and Az is a community property state and therefore he get's half ownership qualifying him either way.

My personal thought from the begining (and I'm sure I could find the post here somwhere) were that the club be open to "Toyota Owners and enthusiasts" alike. Some enthusiasts might be on the hunt for the right Toy and still be interested in membership even though they aren't yet an official owner. I would hate to turn these fine folks away with "go buy a Toyota then call us back". It just doesn't seem fair.

The fact that there's never been an actual set of requirements written in stone for all to see is what's clouding my thought process at the moment. I'm currently back in the process of defining, for the world to see, who we are and what we're about. We're at a point where I as president don't feel it's fair for all of our members to join a group with no real guidlines for membership and club p...p...pol...politics (damn I hate that word). The real thought goes back to the fact that there's good people, good wheelers out there who want to be part of this by joining or ranks through paid membership but if owning a Toy is a "requirement" it ain't gonna fly for them right now.

Our emphasis here has always been and will always be Toyota. I don't want that to change. We will also always allow other makes to join in on our runs, but the real point of contention for me is where is that line.

BMAN said:
After reading a few comments here on the board and a few discussions with friends, I have a poll I'd like everyone to think hard about and then vote. It's a simple yes or no question and the voting will be anonymous.

As a "TOYOTA" club should it be "mandatory" that each paying member be a TOYOTA owner?

My two concerns are first that we have potential non-owners who would like to be members but have at this point been excluded. Second is that we open up membership to Non-owners and then the flood gates open and everyone and their momma joins us cuz now we're a 4x4 club.

Your thoughts?

Would leasing a scion count?

Just wondering where you are going to draw the line.

Jared

Hmm...If you're asking if we should have non-Toyotas in the Copper State Cruiser club.....I don't see the point.

We seem to meet up with people on the trail, or allow them to join in group runs already - but I don't see the point of membership for them.

If it was like "Arizona 4x4 Club" then I don't think it would matter - but I'm not joining an "Arizona Jeep Club" with my 80. Are there really any people with non-Toyotas wanting to join a Cruiser club?

We are messing with the original concepts for the club, the way I always heard it is; All other makes are welcome at events and trail runs but to be a member you must own or intending to buy a Toyota vehicle with a factory 2-speed transfer case that you intend to wheel. I don't think we ever excluded anyone that has other brand wheelers in the family, Jonathan has a heep that he loves and refuses to get rid of and we even let him bring it on runs! :D

I don't have a problem wheeling with any brand truck, but the club was formed as a Toyota club, is this something we want or need to change? If we want to remain a Toyota club and accept token others it should be by vote and they should have something to offer, like bring your truck and they will make free sliders, or supplying free beer and food for parties and runs! With a vote we can keep out the riffraff, like, "this is John and he has a sheep" we can just vote NO! and get on to other issues.:bounce:

I am undecided on what my vote is going to be at this point.

I have no vote: I'm not a member. I have an opinion, though. (Shut up Kevin.)

You have a public forum. If people want to get to know you, and Toyotas, welcome them on your runs. Welcome them on your forums. When they buy a Cruiser, welcome them to your club. I personally would make an LC a requirement. They aren't your average Toyotas- they're a breed apart. Don't get me wrong, I'll run with anyone in anything, but the club seems to be about LC's. That's the common denominator.

An option would be to have an 'affiliation' membership- not quite sure how to word that, but basically a person who supports the club but is not a full member.

On another note, what's with the 'factory 2-speed transfer case'? If I SAS my Prius (using an 80 axle, of course) I can't join the club?

A third note: Is there someone who goes 4-wheeling that I can hand $20 to? (Shut up, Kevin.) I don't interact well with the USPS. And I own a 4Runner...

-Spike

-Spike- said:
(Shut up Kevin.)

Like that's going to happen!:rolleyes: :D

-Spike- said:
On another note, what's with the 'factory 2-speed transfer case'? If I SAS my Prius (using an 80 axle, of course) I can't join the club?

Correct, no low range = not a wheeler, think Rav4.

-Spike- said:
A third note: Is there someone who goes 4-wheeling that I can hand $20 to? (Shut up, Kevin.) I don't interact well with the USPS. And I own a 4Runner...

That would be Phil, he is back on the main land and will be itching for a trail ride soon, or you could show at his shindig and smoke everybody but Rhino on the flex ramp.:D

I think as it goes we are broader then most "Cruiser" clubs in allowing any make Toyota. Mind you I am not a snob by any means and that is why I made my choice to join this club instead of AZLCA. I liked the Toyota format loosely followed with the land cruiser core.

We are a Toyota club, it is even in our logo, and I feel it should remain as such. I don't have any problem with owners of other makes wheeling, partying, or even dropping by and hanging with us at our monthly cruise in, but I feel that we should keep membership and club votes only to members with Yotas. I mean this was one of HJ60's reasons for stepping down as club VP; he was selling his 60 and felt club officials should own Toyotas. So do we now tell him it is OK, you don't need your 60, and bring him back as VP if he has the time to spare? No disrespect intended Kevin, you've done great so far, but I am just asking a question here. I know I may be only the 27th member of this club and by all means am not a seasoned veteran as the 26 before me, so therefore I will trust in you that you make the right decision here. As for me I say no, otherwise I might as well have joined any other 4x4 club that accepts all makes and models. Sorry if I have ruffled any feathers, not my intention.

Also, just a thought here; shouldn't this poll be limited to club members only? As it stands anyone can cast their vote.

Last edited:
CSC has been very successful with ~50 Club members in 9 months. As a club we have yet to document the by-laws based on the original concept. As a founding member I support original concept and would like to see it documented before talking about changing it publicly.

Also it is not my shindig it is a club event and everyone that comes will make his/hers contribution. I just offered up my yard so our spouses and kids could have an opportunity to meet. The goal to support more family activities another original CSC concept.

Well if you ask me being a member of my own club and being somebody who would never join... If you ask me the name says it all, if it don't allpy to you then I'd say you can't join.. If you wanna extend this past Cruisers to any toyota owner fine but I would go no further then that..

I vote NO, but in the case of someone like Claudia and Michael, because they are married and one of them has a Toyota 4x4 I think the other should be allowed in if they choose to supports the group. Otherwise, a Toyota 4x4 should be a requirement.
Thinking about some more, isn't Michael already in, by right of marriage. In TLCA your family is included in the membership. The membership card I have for TLCA has my wifes name on it as well as mine, but we didn't pay extra dues. Food for thought, if Michael wants to donate some funds to support the club that would be great, but I think he is already in.

my view

The club is copper state cruiser.which i took as Toyota Land Cruisers ===web site ===== ih8mud.com Toyota Land Cruiser Assosiation <Club House Corner>SO why not open membership to people who own a TOYOTA LAND CRUISER are Planing on the purchase of Toyota Land Cruiser with NO Time Limited Or wish they had a Toyota Land Cruiser.But the club is a LAND CRUISER CLUB like 25's-40's 45's 55's 40's 60's ect's
I think of a club as a group of like minded people/were copper state cruisers not off roaders not 4x4 ers well i'm going to bed now just my 2 cents worth:beer:

I find it interesting that non Toy owners would actually WANT to pay to join a Toy club. That must tell ya that we're a bunch of cool cats to hang out and go wheeling with. I've been on a couple of outings with standard 4x clubs (there's a lot of them). They were cool, had good mixes of vehicles, but there's just something about being in a club that's ultimately dedicated to the Cruisers and Toys. There's a common ground for everyone that exists beyond the transfer case.

Back online this morning and happy to see that we got a little action on this one.

Lest anyone think otherwise, my intention is not to change the original concept. We've done well and operated at a level much higher than many of us probably thought we could without a "set of rules". Like I said, I am finally getting back to workin on a draft of those rules for us to function by and got to wondering about everyone elses opinion.

This feedback is good. Keep it coming.

I......being one of the few Jeep guys in this forum, voted no. This is a Toyota club...even more so, a Landcruiser club, but of course it doesn't seem to be an only "Landcruiser" club either...but that's up to the club to decide.

Truly I could care less if I am a paying member of any club, all I want to do is wheel and hang out. I'm not a paying member of any club, unless you count being a "sponsor" with AZVJC, which means I donate funds yearly to the cause, and I have randomly donated to small businesses that deal in our hobby and are ORBA members.

There are enough clubs out there for everyone to be a part of, no matter what make of vehicle you drive. I don't need to be a paying member of CSC to wheel with and hang out with all you crazies:D You should be able to keep the club as what it was meant to be.

BTW....Does it count that I have a FJ45 wagon in my backyard?:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom