McGuire's '87 FJ60 Build: SOA/ 12H-T swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dude , I'm so excited for you.

Thanks Mike! I'm getting pretty pumped now that the motor is in and I can start tinkering with the wiring to get it fired up. We will have to meet up once it's on the road again so that you can check it out.

have you decided on a wiring system? 24 volt? 12volt conversion? split system?

I am converting the motor to 12V. Already have the alternator, starter, etc. The past few days I have been tackling the wiring (pulling the old emissions wiring out and splicing the diesel specific stuff in). It looks overwhelming but honestly I haven't had any problems thus far and I am a wiring newb.
IMG_2962.JPG IMG_2964.jpg IMG_2965.jpg

what was the issue?

My 12V starter was a bad unit. I hooked up the 24V starter with 2 batteries (isolated from the rest of the truck) and then hot wired the post to the ignition wire and it fired right up. I found a local shop that is going to fix up the 12V starter so that I can drive it.

That sounds awesome!

Man, I'm missing my diesel.

All of them, but mostly the 4bta.

My 12V starter was a bad unit. I hooked up the 24V starter with 2 batteries (isolated from the rest of the truck) and then hot wired the post to the ignition wire and it fired right up. I found a local shop that is going to fix up the 12V starter so that I can drive it.
good stuff man glad you figured it out

Fabbed up some brackets for my BMW seats. Still need to get the drivers side recovered but man these are so much better than my flat worn out 60 seats. Very adjustable. I'm only 5'11" but the original seats still made me feel cramped.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1443197382.465469.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1443197394.038321.jpg

Now onto the passenger side...

Quick update:

3" straight pipe is in and sounds amazing! The location on the rear fender is kinda bad for off-roading but I will fix it up down the line.

I'm going to the local off-road park to test out how the 12ht handles the rocks this weekend, kinda nervous/anxious. The throttle is TWITCHY compared to the 2f... The hand throttle should help out with that.

Also got my sweet "turbo" badge installed on my front fender! Purchased it from diesel42 here on mud and it is a beautiful piece of metal. Almost too nice to be outside of the cab.

Also I have finally been able to log some highway miles, which means the mandatory post diesel swap mpg report... So I was getting around 18.5 with a mix of idling, stop and go kinda driving. Not to bad, but I logged some strict highway miles (cruising 65-75mph) and it came out to 19.4mpg! Not bad for a rig that has a huge winch, front and rear bumpers, sliders, 35s, 4:56 gears and a driver with a heavy foot! That is nearly double what I was getting with the 2f, so there will definitely be more road trips in the future! (Mike I want to join the big bend run this spring!)

Anyways next step is gauges (boost, temp, oil pressure, and pyro) then 37s! I am doing a lot of research on tires and I am really liking the reviews on the new toyo open country R-Ts. With the amount of highway driving that I do M-Ts really don't make sense, plus I want a smoother/ quieter ride:)

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444708215.659210.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444708226.298152.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444708237.819340.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1444708251.259782.jpg

need a video to clarify the sound check ;) Cool with the turbo badge!!!
I will do a walk around video one morning :) Thank you, it isn't the stock red one, but I wasn't able to find any for sale...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom