Maybe lend a hand or supervision? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

White Sheep

Darren
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm going to be off from 30 Jan - 7 Feb. During this time I'm planning on going to the auto craft center on Ft. Bragg (a DIY place that has a lift and tools) and replacing my 3" springs and shocks with 4" springs and Fox shocks. Also replacing the fan clutch, oil pump seals, and harmonic balancer seals.

I dont think its too hard of a job, but always willing to learn a few tricks a tips from others and have some good company. I also dont have to go to the craft center, could do it at someones house. Just cant do it at my house because my driveway is about a 10% incline.

There may be issues with us civilians getting on base?
Yeah, thats why I was saying i can also go to whomever's house that may have the tools. Rumor has it that some of the club members have pretty awesome setups.

Oil pump and crank seal is a pretty big job by itself. Not something I’d want to try to do in an afternoon in someone else’s driveway. Be prepared to Uber home if you do. Those JIS screws can be a pain.

Swapping springs and shocks are easy. BTW, rent two sets of spring compressors: one set for the spring on the truck and the other set for the new spring. The work goes much faster.

Oil pump cover can be hit and miss. The technique for removing the screws that I have seen is to hammer a JIS bit into the screw head, then attach the impact driver. The impact will remove each screw with little drama. Most folks don't set the bit deep in the screw head and it just strips the screw. Be sure to have replacement allen head screws ready to go.

Last edited:
Last night @Soju came in clutch during the final hrs helping me with the lift. And the man gave me a ride home because I left it there overnight to give it fresh eyes in the morning.

20210203_124820.jpg

20210203_124830.jpg

20210203_130355.jpg

I’m glad I decided to stop by after work to check on your progress. It probably would have been better if I didn’t show up in stinky gym clothes to work in close proximity to you. :hillbilly:

I’m glad I decided to stop by after work to check on your progress. It probably would have been better if I didn’t show up in stinky gym clothes to work in close proximity to you. :hillbilly:
When you came, I didn't care how you looked or smelled lol. I would took anything I could get.

When you came, I didn't care how you looked or smelled lol. I would took anything I could get.

Yeah you were on the struggle bus for sure. I can say that was the first time I’ve done any wrenching while wearing gym shorts. I found grease and road grime in all sorts of interesting places when I got home. Do not recommend.

Yeah you were on the struggle bus for sure. I can say that was the first time I’ve done any wrenching while wearing gym shorts. I found grease and road grime in all sorts of interesting places when I got home. Do not recommend.

and then I read this comment, sheeshaloo..... :)

Getting a few clunks and bangs I'm not use to hearing after the spring and shocks install when driving uneven road/bumps.

Do you all think it's the radius arm bushings? 🤔

Getting a few clunks and bangs I'm not use to hearing after the spring and shocks install when driving uneven road/bumps.

Do you all think it's the radius arm bushings? 🤔
Could be sway bar bushings as well. Rears wear out quickly on a lifted 80 anyway, and you probably made them unhappy with the new, bigger lift.

Your shock nuts could be loose also. I have seen them make a lot of noise before.

Could be sway bar bushings as well. Rears wear out quickly on a lifted 80 anyway, and you probably made them unhappy with the new, bigger lift.
I have new sway bushings in the garage. Was waiting on ANOTHER thing I ordered for Wit's End that claimed tk be in stock but wasn't 🤦🏽‍♂️

I'm on my third set of rear sway bar links in three years. It's not necessarily the bushings that wear out (although they do too). It's the ball-and socket end of the links. When they start to go, you'll hear a lot of rattling on uneven surfaces and the sound is difficult to pinpoint. It took me a couple of days to figure out where mine was making noise.

Also ordered them (front and back) earlier today. Should be here next week. Thank you. I'm just trying to make sure I'm going down the right path.

The good thing is they are not expensive. Front ones seem to last. Rears go to crap in about a year on my truck.

The good thing is they are not expensive. Front ones seem to last. Rears go to crap in about a year on my truck.
Hmm... I've had a rattle for a few years that I haven't been able to identify.

@roadstr6 Moog for $26 each or OEM for $46 each?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom