max compressed shock length (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, i dont currently have front bump stops on my truck or i would go measure but with stock front bump stops what is the max compressed shock length you can fit? i have the slee 4" so in theory ill have to add the 2" bumpstop spacers but i wont know exactly what length extension i will need until i flex it a bit more. just trying to do a little shock research for my truck!

My 35" tires have been acting as my bumpstops on my 4" lift. It is not advisable and you will know when you max it out because you will hear your lug catch the fender nuts. But i have not had any damage caused by it (I am running OME long travels).

With stock bumps the max as per Darren M. @AutoCraft Aus who is using a 12" ICON has wrote 16". Anything more than that will need additional bump spacing. I completely agree as I'm currently running OME Ls with additional washers that extends my fronts out to 15.75"
This I would say is on the aggressive side. At full compression with full weight on two corners I have 1" of shock travel left for the bigger hits.
15.5" is a conservative number.

My 35" tires have been acting as my bumpstops on my 4" lift. It is not advisable and you will know when you max it out because you will hear your lug catch the fender nuts. But i have not had any damage caused by it (I am running OME long travels).

i have the slee 4" and have heard the same but with 37's i want to bump it to where they are just barely about to rub, of course i have stock bump stops on the way so i can start figureing it out. now i just need to find a place to flex the truck in the boulder/denver area!

With stock bumps the max as per Darren M. @AutoCraft Aus who is using a 12" ICON has wrote 16". Anything more than that will need additional bump spacing. I completely agree as I'm currently running OME Ls with additional washers that extends my fronts out to 15.75"
This I would say is on the aggressive side. At full compression with full weight on two corners I have 1" of shock travel left for the bigger hits.
15.5" is a conservative number.

yea i was looking at some 12" fox's but they come out to around 18.1" (stem/eye) and 19" (stem/stem) collapsed according to Downsouth which is a bit too long if i want to get 12" shocks its looking like ill need the 7100 short bodies but then i have to fix the mounting front and rear so i dont have to use adapters.

i guess my first step is to see how much i need to extended my bumpstops to not shred the wheel wells or my tires! thanks for the 16" number thats exactly what i was looking for!

Yeah, adding an adapter to the bottom of a shock really messes with getting a longer shock in there. This is why getting a pin to pin shock allows for max shock travel. The L shock has 11.3" of travel that will compress to 15.25" that is a big deal. The only shock I have seen that packs a longer travel is that 12" ICON shock. This again is achieved in that 16" window with no additional bump spacers from stock. That's amazing!

One additional thing.
Going from 315s to 37s gives about 1" on top of the tire. Here is where a 1" body lift comes into play. So a body lift takes away the need for 1" of bump stop.
4" I agree is a good lift for 35s, 37s, but I believe it can be achieved also with a 3 & 1 aproach. 3" suspension to avoid all the 4" problems plus a 1" body lift.
I just hate to restrict the up travel in the front. 80s just don't flex all that well allready, why stop it by adding bump stops.

That was just a bonus opinion.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Speak for yourself! My 80 likes to get twisted!
11713793_10102314901745333_2658515217518404913_o_zpst9ur2d0n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom