Master Key Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fooldall1

Handy Enthusiast
Threads
All:

A buddy of mine picked up a nice 99 a few days ago. He didn't realize that all he was given were valet keys.

Is there any way around the 600 dollar dealer fee for creating a new master? Everything I know/read indicated that an EXISTING master key must be inserted for the programming of a new one.

Thanks, All!

I'm also interested. Where can I obtain a master key? Thanks

I have the same problem. I was not aware I had all sub-keys and now I cannot program a new key. Dealer wants $260 to program the new key.

I also made the same mistake of buying my 2001 with only valet keys, but I didn't want to pay the $600 in labor for Mr. T to replace the ECU through their program, so I figured out how to reflash the ECU myself. It was a PITA (+good bit of soldering), but only cost me $30 for 2 new keys and clean ECU. I can write up how I did it if you're interested.

I also made the same mistake of buying my 2001 with only valet keys, but I didn't want to pay the $600 in labor for Mr. T to replace the ECU through their program, so I figured out how to reflash the ECU myself. It was a PITA (+good bit of soldering), but only cost me $30 for 2 new keys and clean ECU. I can write up how I did it if you're interested.

Something like this?
Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

My understanding is that on a 99 you'll have to get a one time ecm replacement and have a dealer program a couple masters to it.

Good luck.

I think your link might be dead, because it brings me to their homepage. I pretty much copied what this guy did, though I like to think it was slightly less shade-tree
DIY: Immobilizer Hacking for Lost Keys or Swapped ECU: 9 Steps (with Pictures)

My understanding is that on a 99 you'll have to get a one time ecm replacement and have a dealer program a couple masters to it.

Good luck.

Yes, that is also what I heard, because Mr. T realized it was a bad design they offer one free screw-up per VIN but you have to pay the $600 +/- labor fee to install the ECU

I just went through this yesterday myself. I was unaware the key I was using was a valet key. Fortunately I had the blade from the master key in the ashtray and they were able to cut a new key and drop the guts from the keyless entry into a new shell. Worked out quite nicely for $60.

All -

Adding a twist to this conversation, I have the exact opposite problem as @fooldall1 initially mentions - I have a 2001 with a master key, but PO only provided the one key at sale and needing to make a 2nd/backup.

Here are my questions:

1. where do I buy the blank (complete with lock/unlock/alarm features)
2. Do I tap you on the shoulder @gatormark91 for Techstream help once I have the key?
3. who cuts the key?

I feel like I"m asking dumb questions here, but I've been reading through the blog and unable to figure these out.

I called my local yota dealer and Toyota customer service and they told me they don’t do the ECU replacement anymore. Any contact info for someone that knows otherwise? Or some info on who to contact or what to reference in order to do this?

I called my local yota dealer and Toyota customer service and they told me they don’t do the ECU replacement anymore. Any contact info for someone that knows otherwise? Or some info on who to contact or what to reference in order to do this?

index.htm

^^^^^^ Can re-flash your ECU and program new keys (Masters) to it.

index.htm

Great site for info, but keep in mind most decent locksmiths have a tool that can flash the ECU.

I took my 2000 ecu to a locksmith just down the street from me, he had a tool that just attaches to a specific chip in the ecu and runs a flash in about 5 seconds. Also had him cut two new TOY43AT4 keys I brought. I then took the ecu home and plugged it into my truck and was able to add the two new keys as masters. My old valet still shows as a valet though. Total cost was $100.

index.htm

Yep, I've contacted him actually. I just keep seeing people say they get this done via Toyota and everyone I've talked to at Toyota said they don't do it anymore. Just checking.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom