Master Key Question

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by fooldall1, May 1, 2017.

1. fooldall1

fooldall1

Albums:
    All:

A buddy of mine picked up a nice 99 a few days ago. He didn't realize that all he was given were valet keys.

Is there any way around the 600 dollar dealer fee for creating a new master? Everything I know/read indicated that an EXISTING master key must be inserted for the programming of a new one.

Thanks, All!

2. gatormark91

gatormark91

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, you ask me. I have a working install of Techstream. :) I'll message Mike about it.

smileyboy likes this.
  3. smileyboy

smileyboy

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm also interested. Where can I obtain a master key? Thanks

4. Adventure Hawk

Adventure Hawk

Media:
    Albums:
    I have the same problem. I was not aware I had all sub-keys and now I cannot program a new key. Dealer wants $260 to program the new key.

5. Benjamin Ebrahim

Benjamin Ebrahim

Media:
    Albums:
    I also made the same mistake of buying my 2001 with only valet keys, but I didn't want to pay the $600 in labor for Mr. T to replace the ECU through their program, so I figured out how to reflash the ECU myself. It was a PITA (+good bit of soldering), but only cost me $30 for 2 new keys and clean ECU. I can write up how I did it if you're interested.

6. labcab

labcab

Media:
    Albums:
    Something like this?
    Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

7. DuckLN

DuckLN

My understanding is that on a 99 you'll have to get a one time ecm replacement and have a dealer program a couple masters to it.

Good luck.

8. Benjamin Ebrahim

Benjamin Ebrahim

Media:
    Albums:
    I think your link might be dead, because it brings me to their homepage. I pretty much copied what this guy did, though I like to think it was slightly less shade-tree
    DIY: Immobilizer Hacking for Lost Keys or Swapped ECU: 9 Steps (with Pictures)

Yes, that is also what I heard, because Mr. T realized it was a bad design they offer one free screw-up per VIN but you have to pay the $600 +/- labor fee to install the ECU

scoonr likes this.
  9. FloydPutnik

FloydPutnik

I just went through this yesterday myself. I was unaware the key I was using was a valet key. Fortunately I had the blade from the master key in the ashtray and they were able to cut a new key and drop the guts from the keyless entry into a new shell. Worked out quite nicely for $60.

10. scoonr

scoonr

Mr T should recall and fix this on their nickle!

11. Gnarwgn

Gnarwgn

All -

Adding a twist to this conversation, I have the exact opposite problem as @fooldall1 initially mentions - I have a 2001 with a master key, but PO only provided the one key at sale and needing to make a 2nd/backup.

Here are my questions:

1. where do I buy the blank (complete with lock/unlock/alarm features)
    2. Do I tap you on the shoulder @gatormark91 for Techstream help once I have the key?
    3. who cuts the key?

I feel like I"m asking dumb questions here, but I've been reading through the blog and unable to figure these out.

12. Gnarwgn

Gnarwgn

13. 6lug

6lug

I called my local yota dealer and Toyota customer service and they told me they don’t do the ECU replacement anymore. Any contact info for someone that knows otherwise? Or some info on who to contact or what to reference in order to do this?

14. flintknapper

flintknapper

index.htm

^^^^^^ Can re-flash your ECU and program new keys (Masters) to it.

15. itsmekai

itsmekai

Great site for info, but keep in mind most decent locksmiths have a tool that can flash the ECU.

I took my 2000 ecu to a locksmith just down the street from me, he had a tool that just attaches to a specific chip in the ecu and runs a flash in about 5 seconds. Also had him cut two new TOY43AT4 keys I brought. I then took the ecu home and plugged it into my truck and was able to add the two new keys as masters. My old valet still shows as a valet though. Total cost was $100.

16. 6lug

6lug

Yep, I've contacted him actually. I just keep seeing people say they get this done via Toyota and everyone I've talked to at Toyota said they don't do it anymore. Just checking.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.