Manual vs. Power Steering Pros and Cons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guys, as Cruisin noted true manual steering and inoperable power steering are two different animals. They do not compare at all.

My FJ40 had manual steering. Even though it was designed for it and even with its huge diameter steering wheel, it totally sucked. Maybe if I had the stock tire setup and kept it only on the pavement it would have been acceptable, but I had 33s and wheeled it.

I like power steering so much that I even upgraded my pump to a Saginaw unit on my 60 when the stock one finally started leaking. It's even easier to turn now and plus pumps are now available everywhere for cheap if I ever need one (don't expect to though). JMHO.

Don't find any "pro" to manual steering, especially off-road. I would be tempted to swap over to a GM PS pump though.

hit a bump with your power steering out and it damn near rips your arm out of socket

Old thread.. but..
I was wheeling my CJ5 on Sunday with manual steering and when climbing a hill the steering wheel jerked on me. It dislocated my shoulder.. very scary.

To make manual steering livable on a 60 you would want to reduce caster to about +1/2 degree.
The truck would lose road manners but would be easier to steer. The thing about positive caster is that the more more you add, the more your steering box has to lift the weight of the truck while turning right to left. You can see this for yourself by running a tape measure from the hoodline to the ground and have someone turn the wheel right to left. With 0 caster there will be no rise and fall of the front end. With positive caster you'll see the hoodline rise as you turn off center. As you turn you are not only fighting tire to pavement friction but also lifting the weight of the truck.
You would also benefit from a slower ratio box and like others here stated, a larger wheel would help.

Manual steering sucks. I was out messing around in my mog one day. I was driving up a big rock and it just right and the wheel spun so fast. Don't ever have your hand in between the spokes. One of the spokes hit the knife edge of my hand. Man it hurt. Well about a month went by and it was still hurting so I finally went to the Dr. Took an X-ray and there was a chip of my hand bone floating around. I definitely learned by manual steering the hard way.

I have a mini truck with manual steering, even that thing can be a handful in tight situations and it weighs half as much as the cruiser does and rides around on little 14 inch wheels. I can't imagine how bad bump steer could break your arm on that big ole beast of a FJ62 when you hit something immovable.

My vote is on keeping the PS unit and getting it rebuilt if needed.

take a spin in a army 2.5 ton truck off-road and then come back and tell me about manual steering..

Even with keeping things as simple as possible (I'm a big fan BTW). there is nothing that would make me want to go manual steering on a FJ60 if I did not have to.

Like others have said, keeping the power steering just seems like a no-brainer. It's 300% more pleasant to drive when it's working, and if it breaks, it's not like it's going to strand you anywhere... you'll just have to yank harder on the wheel. Yes, I have experienced this first-hand.

I have also seen manual steering break a man's hand when he hit an unexpected obstacle (large chunk of ice) and his hand got caught the wrong way in the wheel. Yes, probably user error, but still not going to happen with PS.

:edit: Another thing that comes to mind since my wife recently injured her ankle and can no longer drive a manual... if you hurt your hand/arm/shoulder while out in the woods, you may not be able to drive your truck home. :(

Last edited:
You recent cats know that this was a 2+ yr old thread that was bumped, right?

How often have you sat around a campfire meow and not talked about things over two years old??? :D

yes...I clearly see where I posted 2 years ago on same topic...bad idea then...bad idea now...to go with manual steering.

Can't help but feel a steering damper would solve the issues of the wheel spinning and breaking your arm.

2.5 years this time..

Meow..

Can't help but feel a steering damper would solve the issues of the wheel spinning and breaking your arm.

Nope...not a chance.

John

nope. proper grip on the steering wheel is where it's at...when in doubt thumbs out.

take a spin in a army 2.5 ton truck off-road and then come back and tell me about manual steering..
I remember those... Had to have someone on the running board to help you turn the wheel in the motorpool to park the damn thing. Good times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom