FJ60 Power steering pump - discontinued? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it seems the fj60 power steering pump is a discontinued part.
I can get a NAPA or a Duralast or a BBB Industries pump all with a limited lifetime warranty. Problem is, I've had aftermarket pumps before and they don't last. The one in my 60 right now is from Rock Auto, it was made by BBB Industries. It's only about 18 months old and it's leaking from the front pulley shaft :(
So while they will give me a new pump every time it breaks, I don't really want to replace it every year.

Anyone had any luck with duralast or NAPA?

Any other bolt-on alternatives? I don't want to put on a pump that pushes too much pressure and damages my gearbox - it was rebuilt by redhead 18 months ago. In fact, everything about the steering (except the reservoir) is new just 18 months ago. Even the rods and stabilizer. Thing steers better than my FZJ80 - when it's not low on juice (stupid leak - CURSES!).

Open to recommendations - except for "put in an LS" and other ubiquitous statements littering every thread.

I put one on from Napa I think. It groans ever since I installed it until it warms up. No leaks so I haven’t changed it but it’s annoying.

If your pump groans, try replacing the fluid with Amsoil Dexron III and check the belt tension. Too tight is bad for these pumps. Small microfilter in the return line helps too.

If your pump groans, try replacing the fluid with Amsoil Dexron III and check the belt tension. Too tight is bad for these pumps. Small microfilter in the return line helps too.
x2. My 62 pump (original) was groaning well into the warmer spring weather (initially only doing it in cold weather) this year and since I flushed it out in favor of AMSOIL's ATF there's been no groaning, even on the few sub-20º mornings we had last week. Another Mudder was kind enough to send me his spare rebuild kit and I have to get a bearing and a couple extra springs before doing the job, but I'll be keeping it in a small box on a shelf until I notice the groaning starting to come back. At this point, running completely quiet and hasn't started leaking yet.

Just because I like mine......Saginaw.......
Not a simple bolt-on though, is it?
I've heard the Saginaw can blow the seals on the steering box.

Last edited:
Will the 62 pump work on a 60?

So far it seems I can order one from amayama for ~$820, or I can get a Duralast or NAPA one for ~30% of the cost, put Amsoil ATF in it and hope for the best. Is that what I'm looking at?

Will the 62 pump work on a 60?

So far it seems I can order one from amayama for ~$820, or I can get a Duralast or NAPA one for ~30% of the cost, put Amsoil ATF in it and hope for the best. Is that what I'm looking at?
As far as I found the 62 pump won’t work on a 60 in the stock location. Sucks, I have a good 62 pump.

City Racer had a clone 60 pump for a while, but then it was perennially out of stock. Not sure if they're discontinuing that or what.

I went Saginaw. My gear box leaked before and continues to leak now, but it works a treat. It's maybe not the miracle cure that everybody says it is, I don't have "one finger steering" on 33s ... but it works. One more headache solved. I was against the idea at first because it's not OEM, but I finally realized it's the solution that makes the most sense: the hoses all thread right in, the install takes 2 hours with the adapter and two small slices to the bracket, and you can readily find them at parts stores.

Not a simple bolt-on though, is it?
I've heard the Saginaw can blow the seals on the steering box.
Oh yes it is! Call Georg at Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers.com They have a kit to swap it over and give you a core for your pump bracket. They will send you everything you need with modified bracket. It bolts on, and the Sag pump rebuilt has replacement warranty and is found just about anywhere. As far as the box goes I am unaware of any issues, but had my box rebuilt when I installed the Saginaw conversion. It has worked great ever since and been 4 years now.
@orangefj45

Last edited:
Mine is leaking and groaning as well. VERY disappointed they discontinued this part....

If Toyota Heritage have resurrected the part, it should still be available through parts suppliers. Just because CruiserTeq is out of stock does not necessarily mean it can't be ordered from Japan... if you have the part number.

If Toyota Heritage have resurrected the part, it should still be available through parts suppliers. Just because CruiserTeq is out of stock does not necessarily mean it can't be ordered from Japan... if you have the part number.

It's not part of the GR Heritage program fwiw. The price on our CruiserTeq.com reflects the NOS nature of rare, desirable OEM parts. Once they are gone, they are gone. Now, they could come back in GRH form and it's one I've suggested to Koyari-san.

We pulled the last few out of inventory for the 'Kurt stash' which will be used for personal projects and/or future reproduction/engineering efforts.

It's not part of the GR Heritage program fwiw. The price on our CruiserTeq.com reflects the NOS nature of rare, desirable OEM parts. Once they are gone, they are gone. Now, they could come back in GRH form and it's one I've suggested to Koyari-san.

We pulled the last few out of inventory for the 'Kurt stash' which will be used for personal projects and/or future reproduction/engineering efforts.
Sorry, spurious info further up the thread! Out of interest, have any 60 Series parts been resurrected by Toyota Heritage yet?

Sorry, spurious info further up the thread! Out of interest, have any 60 Series parts been resurrected by Toyota Heritage yet?

Just one... 13811-68020, Valve Rocker for the 12HT

Just one... 13811-68020, Valve Rocker for the 12HT
Well, it's a start! I somehow doubt I'll get a BJ input shaft or thermostat housing, but who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom