Power steering trouble shooting - no assist (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy,

I’m making my way over here from the 40 series forums. I’m in the midst of testing a 60 pump and gear box combo. I’m trying to figure out why I’m not getting any assist when the pump is pumping. From what I can tell, it’s getting pressure bc when I spin it (w a driver) it spurts ATF out of the return line end (after passing through the pressure hose and gear box).

Any ideas what it might be? I was more worried it would be the pump that doesn’t work, not the gear box. Maybe I’m just missing something obvious. No leaks are present on any part of the set up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sawyer
5C7AE26D-A352-44BB-9E9D-53EF12EDF281.jpeg

I to have a fj60 1984 with the same problem no leaks good return to the tank with cranking it by hand but no assist to the steering.
could it be the adjustment screw on the gear box?
I did bye a replacement of ebay that leeked out of one of the welsh plugs on the back, but in didn't make any differences to the steering so Ive put a rebuild kit in the original one and put it back on. But still still no power steering, could it be a air lock someway i am getting return fluid bye turning it over bye hand?

I to have a fj60 1984 with the same problem no leaks good return to the tank with cranking it by hand but no assist to the steering.
could it be the adjustment screw on the gear box?
I did bye a replacement of ebay that leeked out of one of the welsh plugs on the back, but in didn't make any differences to the steering so Ive put a rebuild kit in the original one and put it back on. But still still no power steering, could it be an air lock someway i am getting return fluid bye turning it over bye hand?
I spoke to a shop about this. They politely laughed when I told them I’d built a system on the bench to test it. There is basically no way to get the appropriate RPMs with a drill, let alone by hand) to pressurize the system.

I spoke to a shop about this. They politely laughed when I told them I’d built a system on the bench to test it. There is basically no way to get the appropriate RPMs with a drill, let alone by hand) to pressurize the system.
A for effort though.
At idle what psi should the pump be producing i could put plumb in a gauge ?

I cannot find an OEM power steering pump. I'm told they have been discontinued:mad:

I cannot find an OEM power steering pump. I'm told they have been discontinued:mad:
for a 60 or 40? 40 series units show up on FB marketplace and Craigslist occasionally (not totally helpful if you’re outside the US). Worth a shot posting in the classifieds. 60 pumps seem easier to find and 62 pumps (IMO infinitely better) are also around. I got ahold of one in about a week of searching part outs.

I did a Saginaw pump and ain’t looking back. Search on the forum and you’ll find lots of info on the swap. Valley Hybrids even sells a kit.

Last edited:
I did a Saginaw pump and ain’t looking back. Search on the forum and you’ll find lots of I do in the swap. Valley Hybrids even sells a kit.
@Haggis Ditto on the sag pump. I was salty about it for the swap on my 40 but then realized how easy the instal is w the after market bracket and got over the angst quick. Also they’re a dime a dozen and have more output.

That said, if you’re running a 60, might be worth trying to find an OEM one. I have a 60 pump, untested and with no cap. Feel free to PM me if you’re interested.

For the 60. My mechanic nor I can find one. OEM, not the aftermarket junk out there. Heard they only last a few months. Saginaw is looking more realistic....

I felt the same way - "it's not OEM!!!" The price, the ease of finding a replacement, and the complete lack of headaches have made me a believer.

The original pumps can be rebuilt, there are kits out there, but unfortunately the bushing on the front of the body - it holds the shaft and is right behind the pulley - gets scarred up and damaged. There is no oil seal on the front, it's just a metal sleeve bushing that's pressed into the housing and the shaft is a very close fit inside of it. They aren't available anymore and don't come with the rebuild kit, so if it's damaged the pump will always leak. It will also create a hair of play in the shaft, which wears out other components faster - including wearing out the bushing faster and further damaging it.

I used to rebuild high pressure pumps for work. I rebuilt this power steering pump easily. But there was nothing I could do about the bushing and it failed in a few months. I realized it was going to be a game of finding used pumps, none of which were very good, rebuilding them, having them fail, and repeating the process forever. I could chase my tail, or just switch to the Sag pump setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom