Made some urethane parts for my 87 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1987 has quite a few missing and worn-out rubber parts that are either expensive or unobtainable.
One by one, I have been re-creating them using Solidworks and my 3D printer.
Parts are made with TPU, which is polyurethane. They hold up well, just like aftermarket poly bushings.
Check out the pics and let me know what you think!

2023-07-25 12_18_33-_Toyota fj60 - PrusaSlicer-2.6.0 based on Slic3r.jpg

door limiter bumper 1.jpg

Cool!! Excellent work!

Rad!!

Skys the limit, hu?

How about body mounts? Or firewall grommets?

Do you plan on offering these for sale?

Rad!!

Skys the limit, hu?

How about body mounts? Or firewall grommets?

Do you plan on offering these for sale
Putting those on my list!
Definitely going to make some lens gaskets, vent gaskets, lock gaskets, etc - those should be quick and easy to print.
I will put together some prices once I get the parts drawn up and tested.

@howie2092 as somebody who makes rubber parts for 60s the old fashioned way - pouring into molds - I’m happy to see this. Somebody else out there making these small bits that we can’t get anymore means more options for people. Really cool work! Looking forward to some install demos and stress tests!

Hey nicely done. Those door check bushings are great! Rear door checks are NLA from Toyota (front are too but there's another Toyota truck with door checks still produced that work on the 6x series) and the bushings in my rear doors are shot.

As far as the hood's bushings, you may want to stick with something softer like rubber for those since it'll have a little extra give for when the hood is slammed down and be less likely to damage it over time. The currently available hood bumpers (the adjustable ones on the front) are actually much larger around than the originals and give a lot more surface area for the hood to impact when it's closed. Certainly not a criticism here; just throwing out something that might help you out.

Hey nicely done. Those door check bushings are great! Rear door checks are NLA from Toyota (front are too but there's another Toyota truck with door checks still produced that work on the 6x series) and the bushings in my rear doors are shot.

As far as the hood's bushings, you may want to stick with something softer like rubber for those since it'll have a little extra give for when the hood is slammed down and be less likely to damage it over time. The currently available hood bumpers (the adjustable ones on the front) are actually much larger around than the originals and give a lot more surface area for the hood to impact when it's closed. Certainly not a criticism here; just throwing out something that might help you out.
Thanks for the input. I can print those hood bumpers hollow or with a grid pattern infill - so they are softer.
Mine were missing so I made a solid bumper and it worked, but definitely room for improvement.
I can check into some softer material as well.

Uploaded solid models to Thingiverse for those of you with mad 3d printing skills:

🤘Hell yah
Uploaded solid models to Thingiverse for those of you with mad 3d printing skills:

Made a clutch block-off plate for those of us with an automatic-swapped FJ60:

FJ60_Clutch_delete_assy2.png

FJ60_Clutch_delete_assy1.png

great use of modern methods— either grid infill or modifying the hood bumpers with a more compliant design would compensate for the higher durometer. I'm pretty sure all these parts are toast on my 60.

if you decide to sell these for those of us without a 3d printer, I'd be interested.

if you decide to sell these for those of us without a 3d printer, I'd be interested.
shoot me a message if you want some parts. I can print and mail them for a super-reasonable price.
My urethane parts don't have the finish quality of OEM, so purists beware.
I'm working on two versions of a switch panel for my off-road lights, that integrates into the dash.
Also working on gaskets for switches, lights, emblems and door locks and all the other stuff that my truck needs.
Will be posting pics as items get finished and tested.
Models are going onto thingiverse.com and are free to use.

I'm going to send some sample parts to CruiserTrash and he may offer cast urethane parts in the future - which may be a good option if you want something that looks/feels fact-tree.

20230816_234024.jpg

20230816_232805.jpg

20230816_232402.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom