LX450 Monstaliner & body work build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I really like the long tail build threads on here and thought I'd add one myself. Only this one is just for the body work and Monstaliner.

I picked up my LX about 6 months ago with the TJM 2.5" lift, engine and trans already taken care of with rebuild of both. The body was pretty rough and the PO was not very experienced with cars, though he meant well and was trying to learn. He pie cut the front fenders but the job was not to my liking. There was a little hidden rust under the platic which I knew about before buying.

Here are some shots of the rust in the rear DS quarter and the patch I made. This was my first time welding body

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Finished tiger hairing the DS wheel well and welding up the DS door holes. I'm out of time today.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks like you know what you're doing :). What did you use to cut out the little fill pieces for the trim holes? That looks like it would be very tedious!

Looks like you know what you're doing :). What did you use to cut out the little fill pieces for the trim holes? That looks like it would be very tedious!

I'm glad it looks that way! I'm handy and have good tools. However, this thread represents the totality of my body welding experience. I learn a little more each weld.

I'm using 22 guage steel from Home Depot and 10" metal snips. I'm using my cordless drill and a wire wheel a lot to clean the surfaces regularly. It would be tedious if this was something I was were rushing. I figure I'll be done in November. Filling and grinding this door took about 1.5 hours.

The best method I've found is clean off a large section of the 22ga sheet, cut a little strip of steel out and trim it to fit. Then use the little rare earth magnets to hold it flush with the door skin's surface. Tack it into place, remove magnets and spot, spot, spot until the seam is completely covered. Trying to make a bead tends to burn through the metal and warp the surface. Too much heat. I'm getting good enough that most of these holes don't need filler after grinding!!!

The tedious route was using a magnet wrapped in copper on the inside of the door to hold the plug. That was tedious and created a poor joint for welding.

...oh, I used Rusoleum undercoating to blast the inside of the plug/seam.

Just filling the holes with no plug created a lot of heat, took a long time and made an ugly booger of a weld that then needed to be ground a lot.

looking great. Be sure to have friends to help with monstaliner install.

I think that I posted up all my thoughts on this thread, but you should read the entire thread anyway...

Monstaliner Bedliner

Bottom line is that next time I will likely use another product if I care about the finished product. I cannot say anything negative about how well monstaliner puts up with abuse. My only issue is the look of the finished product, either sprayed or rolled.

I don't have an answer of the perfect product....

SEM has a great looking product and seems to take abuse. Only seen it in black, so not sure if they can tint it.

I really like how Raptor looks, you can tint to any color, not sure if it would put up with heavy wheeling.

Driver side rocker is complete. I'm Aluminum taping over the holes at the very bottom instead of welding. Reason being, if I weld them I'll have no way to seal the back of the weld and it will rust out fast. With tape, the factory sealer can left in tact and the hole can be used to introduce new sealer onto the other welds that are visible.

I elected to use Belray sticky offroad chain lube on the inside of the rocker instead of any sort of undercoating. The lube had a powerful directional spray that made it easy to drench the welds. That stuff will stay on there for many years. It also exposed a couple porous welds, resulting from a bad ground.

image.jpeg

Leaky weld
image.jpeg

New mag ground clamp

image.jpeg

Rear DS door is finished! More Rustoleum rubberized undercoating on the inside.

...kids are up, gotta make breakfast

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Not bad, not bad at all. Seems like you had a pretty good general idea on how to patch the body properly.

Something I don't think I mentioned is that you have to file the insides of the holes and the edges until they're free of paint and sealer. If not, your welds will get badly contaminated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom