Builds LX450 Baseline and Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started my knuckle job today and of course Murphy raised his ugly head, Snapped a steering arm stud off in the knuckle, and one of the drive flange studs is stripped It had the wrong size nut on it, unusable, so waiting on parts... Still have lots to do, change rotors and burfields and lots of cleaning, knuckle went to the machine shop as the tools I have would have only made it worse, rather spend 50 bucks than have to source a knuckle... On disassembly of the passenger side someone had been in there before and had no clue what they were doing, truck was hit in the front right so this may have to contributed to the fastener issues, nothing was torqued to spec with much of it being loose, wheel and trunion bearings were both shot, with the trunion bearings rollers falling out of bearing retainer, glad I am baselining the truck and caught this before it created a dangerous situation... it's good to be able to do my own work and when it's done I will know what I have, thanks to the parts suppliers for all the assistance....
This is where I finished for the day....
IMG_20161230_203049_164_zpsg3k0a43q.jpg

Passenger side was full of loose fasteners with almost nothing torqued to spec, birfield soup, and a broken steering arm stud to boot, damn you Murphy...
20161230_143932_zpsb1pitwj5.jpg

Had me cussin.... sucks to wait on parts...
VZM.IMG_20161230_145627_zpsu9tlsppo.jpg

Broken Steering arm stud, I was incrementally torquing and it snapped at 50 ft lbs, it was the 2nd steering arm stud that was torqued when it snapped....
20161230_143822_zpsqlbrvblw.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update, got hubs transferred onto new terrain tamer drilled and slotted rotors,got new burfields installed from Cruiser Outfitters, got my steering arm studs from Kyle at Toyota South Atlanta, got em installed and parts cleaned up for reassembly.... Hope to steal a day from work this week and get it put back together before the snow gets here...

Last edited:
All done..... Did brake pads while I was in there... Gonna take it for a drive in a few... Thanks to this forum and Georg @valleyhybrids and Joey @witsend for a bit of coaching here and there and some stellar parts... It's nice to talk to parts gurus compared to the counter help at a box parts store... The landcruiser community is a tight nit group and I'm glad to be a part of it..

Last edited:
lookin good! i am planning to do the front axle service this winter, I just have to get myself psyched up for it!

Went out riding in the snow today, got to get the heater valve switched out as my heat is only luke warm, will do HCV & PHH at the same time in the not to distant future, hope to get rear brakes and CDL done tomorrow

Where did you get the Teq diagram/poster?

Nice 80!

My fav mod (and only real mod so far) was my ARB bumper w/ Warn winch. It's saved my ass and others many times not to mention it really looks awesome!

For what it's worth, if you decide to use load bars I have 4 sets of Thule gutter mounts that'll work on it, yours if you want them. I'm over in Virginia Beach, they're just sitting in my storage unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom