Builds Lumpskie's Diesel 80 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Running into a clearance issue fitting the turn signals back in. Emailed PDI to see if they have an approved solution. May have to modify the turn signals.

Don't be disappointed if you don't get a reply before Wednesday next week or later. Easter means a 4-5 day holiday this weekend in Oz.
My company has shutdown for a 10day period because we have Easter, a rostered day off, then just two working days left next week with ANZAC day public holiday wedged in the middle. I'm off camping for 9 days this morning :clap:

I did a run up into the southern portion of the White Mountains today. On the usual looong hills, my EGTs seem to be down 250 degrees or so. I could maintain 77mph all the way up without issue as well. When I installed the IC, I lost 1 lbs of boost. So, I tried to adjust back up... turns out I had over adjusted. I was pushing 24 or 25 psi. So I need to pull that back. Other than that, everything was perfect!

@IanB @mudgudgeon @SeaJay

What would be the max safe PSI you guys would run on a stock airbox?

This thread makes me want to sell my gasser and by a diesel but I have so much work into what I have that I cringe at the thought of starting over.

Why is 25 psi too much boost? My 2005 Cummins was set to make 32 psi stock but I have made as much as 42 with my programmer turned up without issue. Is it about the turbo charger or the engine? I don’t know much about the Toyota diesels.

This thread makes me want to sell my gasser and by a diesel but I have so much work into what I have that I cringe at the thought of starting over.

Why is 25 psi too much boost? My 2005 Cummins was set to make 32 psi stock but I have made as much as 42 with my programmer turned up without issue. Is it about the turbo charger or the engine? I don’t know much about the Toyota diesels.

A Cummins guy like you would love the 1HDT! I am a diesel noob. But, I'm not worried about my engine or turbo at 25psi. I have heard, though, is that the stock air cleaner can be too restrictive at that boost level, causing the intake tube to want to collapse on itself. That tube is just corrugated rubber. Long term, I'd like to do a high flow intake, then run 25 psi. You have to love going up steep hills at almost 80 mph and never having to downshift!

I have had a Gturbo on my FT for 75k now, I had it set to 30psi for a short while but now have it set to 26psi with an AFR of 21.5:1 which seems ok for towing the big offroad caravan long distances in NW Australian heat. I have a Moonlight Fabrications airbox that uses a Duramax panel filter. I'm not going to say what's a safe psi and what's too much, I'm not a mechanical engineer, but Graeme from Gturbo, and Mick from ADS Injection have both suggested to me 26psi as the sweet spot. The marine version runs at 30psi, but has a lot better cooling

Yes, especially when towing a heavy trailer. Puts a smile on my face.
A Cummins guy like you would love the 1HDT! I am a diesel noob. But, I'm not worried about my engine or turbo at 25psi. I have heard, though, is that the stock air cleaner can be too restrictive at that boost level, causing the intake tube to want to collapse on itself. That tube is just corrugated rubber. Long term, I'd like to do a high flow intake, then run 25 psi. You have to love going up steep hills at almost 80 mph and never having to downshift!

I would not trust the pocket tuner to run more than 32 PSI or you may blow it up :p

As a rule of thumb (I have no idea what that refers to) 👍 1 psi per 10 HP that's what I was told when upgrading my 2001 Dodge CTD
I'm not sure there is any benefit to go higher, you need fuel to make it worth it. I'm running 75+ injectors and 30 psi. Highest I've seen EGT's with 16,000 lb load is 1200 F been this way for 8 years. No problems. :flipoff2:

I did a run up into the southern portion of the White Mountains today. On the usual looong hills, my EGTs seem to be down 250 degrees or so. I could maintain 77mph all the way up without issue as well. When I installed the IC, I lost 1 lbs of boost. So, I tried to adjust back up... turns out I had over adjusted. I was pushing 24 or 25 psi. So I need to pull that back. Other than that, everything was perfect!

@IanB @mudgudgeon @SeaJay

What would be the max safe PSI you guys would run on a stock airbox?

I'm not sure the stock airbox limitations present a "safety" issue, just a restriction issue. 25psi should be fine as long as your intake tube isn't collapsing on itself, IMO.

I'm not sure the stock airbox limitations present a "safety" issue, just a restriction issue. 25psi should be fine as long as your intake tube isn't collapsing on itself, IMO.

Tor, over at Torfab, mentioned that negative pressure in the intake tube could pull the compressor into the housing over time. Ever heard of anything like that?

Tor, over at Torfab, mentioned that negative pressure in the intake tube could pull the compressor into the housing over time. Ever heard of anything like that?

I read where he said that, and I don't disagree with it in principle, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere by anyone else in my HDJ81 specific research.

Has anyone ever gotten an answer to how much he wants for an HDJ81 airbox? I'd love to know, but I haven't made the time to call him about it.

I read where he said that, and I don't disagree with it in principle, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere by anyone else in my HDJ81 specific research.

Has anyone ever gotten an answer to how much he wants for an HDJ81 airbox? I'd love to know, but I haven't made the time to call him about it.

I remember him wanting something like $300 for the airbox. I might actually try to call him again today about that. It's good to hear your feedback on boost as well. Are you still running roughly 18psi?

Turned boost down and now max at 22-23 psi. Did my normal morning commute, so I could really compare EGTs. I am pretty impressed! Normally, I could reach 1200 degrees on the freeway onramp, and I would have to back off the throttle at around 70mpg indicated (77ish actual). Now, my EGTs seem to top out around 1050, no backing out from the throttle. Before, the EGTs would stay high and linger around the 1000-1100 degree range for roughly a mile. (I'm guessing due to ingesting all the hot air, heated by hot pipes) Now, EGTs drop down to 800 almost immediately. Before, my commute would see cruising EGTs around 1000 at 77mph (actual). Now, they sit around 700.

I still have to grind the grill to get it to fit right. I also need to come up with a solution to get front turn signals back into my rig. But, given these numbers, I am a happy customer with this intercooler!

Also, I wanted to share the cool horn setup that Rob came up with. The 45 degree angle made fitment pretty good:
vNWt19Wh.jpg

you really need to tune it with an AFR gauge, the intercooler will be making the charge of air denser, so it has in affect leaned it out, that's why the EGT is cooler. e.g. if prior to the intercooler install it was running a bit rich and high EGT under load at say 18:1 now with the denser (extra) air in there it may be around 22:1 (just guessing those figures as an example)

I remember him wanting something like $300 for the airbox. I might actually try to call him again today about that. It's good to hear your feedback on boost as well. Are you still running roughly 18psi?

I haven't been driving my truck much, it's currently got the stock turbo back on with no boost controller, Gturbo is back in OZ being assessed.

Sounds good Lumpskie!

I agree, ultimately it's better to tune from AFRs.

I think the stock air box gets suspect above 20psi-ish.

My original stock ct26 in my old hdj81 died due to going into choke flow at 22psi @ 3500rpm plus (spinning too fast to be able to draw in air, and compressor contacted the housing.
That was caused by running the turbo way outside is design limits, not sure air box would have contributed in my case.

Sounds good Lumpskie!

I agree, ultimately it's better to tune from AFRs.

I think the stock air box gets suspect above 20psi-ish.

My original stock ct26 in my old hdj81 died due to going into choke flow at 22psi @ 3500rpm plus (spinning too fast to be able to draw in air, and compressor contacted the housing.
That was caused by running the turbo way outside is design limits, not sure air box would have contributed in my case.

Man, it does make me wonder. I'm running 22psi right now.

At any rate, I talked with Torfab and I'm trying to get set up with a high flow airbox. Hopefully I can go that route.

Question for you guys.

I want to buy a new driveshaft and @beno says they are available. He noted that the driveshaft for an HDJ and an FZJ have different part numbers but he's not sure exactly what the difference is. I'm not sure if @Leitrum3 kept the stock driveshaft or not, but I emailed him with the question. In case he doesn't have the answer, do any of you know the difference between the two? If not, do any of you have the collapsed length of either type of front driveshaft that I could use? If I can get the collapsed length of both, I compare them to mine.

Thanks for the help and post up if you guys have any other ideas!

Is it the front or the rear you're talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom