Builds LS3 1980 Hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beautiful work. I swapped in a couple in first gen trucks over the years. The last one i build a new chassis for it and recessed the engine 16" into the cab. It makes for a nice foot heater during the winter and make for a sauna in the summer time. Its a purpose built crawler so creature comforts were second during the build.

Love the work though. Very well thought out.

Here's a view of the aluminum fuel tank installed with the PC'd skid.

You can see the routed 2.5" exhaust and brake lines/ E-cables as well as the Fox 2.0 Shocks.

Love it!

f145fbb0-3837-4025-902f-1d3e052d0b27.jpg

Here is the filler hose and breather. They both had to be made for the relocated fuel tank.

38476cb3-299e-4d33-a481-fabf57a7d448.jpg

This is the fuel pump with pre and post filters.

f97d9317-8662-43f9-84f2-fa830f08fcfb.jpg

Front shocks got located. I just need to cycle it one more time before I finalize the lower bracket. That's a Daystar bump-stop on the frame.

1ae2f07e-765b-42ea-b7a0-cb60c8bafb1c.jpg

Installed a Fox steering stabilizer. Also showing the area I didn't wrap on the header.

That's it for now. We're really close to starting.

I need to get the hoses for the steering pump hooked up and hopefully we can have it running within the next 2 weeks.

5cb47eab-d296-43e7-94df-9f1abb21466d.jpg

Beautiful work. I swapped in a couple in first gen trucks over the years. The last one i build a new chassis for it and recessed the engine 16" into the cab. It makes for a nice foot heater during the winter and make for a sauna in the summer time. Its a purpose built crawler so creature comforts were second during the build.

Love the work though. Very well thought out.

haha I know what you mean! 16"s back! wow mad respect for you. What engine did you use?

Appreciate the kind words! Glad you like it.

Outstanding.

Is this a Saudi spec truck?

It is. I don't think ALJ imported a lot of them in the early 80s though. Most of them were exported to Africa after they were used here.

I've had 3 different offers on this guy. All three guys wanted to use it in Sudan. I don't think they'll like what I did with it now lol.

thanks for sharing your attention to detail. This gonna be your 'shop' truck? can you drive highly modified trucks (Like that M715) on the street there?

Not really a "shop truck". Might see light duty in that regard. I got this truck to teach people "how to" recovery. Will be giving classes on winching and vehicle extractions as well as safety and high lift jack operation. The power plant swap might be overkill for that. I do plan to drive it offroad on personal use as well. and that's what motivates the build. I can't find parts easily for a 20R motor. an LS, well, I can find parts for it anywhere.

thanks for sharing your attention to detail. This gonna be your 'shop' truck? can you drive highly modified trucks (Like that M715) on the street there?

To answer your second question. From a legal view, the law does not say anything about modified truck use (yet). Knowing the customer, he probably won't drive it on the road. We are calibrating his suspension for whops and high speed desert use. Will see how it handles on-road when it's done.

Any updates on this one?

Wouldnt mind a better look at the headers too......

LOVE the work on this! Any pics of the whole truck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom