LS swap into 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone swapped a LS/LT GM motor and either 8L90 or 10L90 trans into a 200 series? I know it's been done to the older LC/ LXs, but I'm looking for info on doing it to a 200 series. Or info on a shop that would do it in Colorado. Appreciate it.

Pretty sure no one has, between the 3ur being a fantastic engine almost eliminating the need and the high level of integration between the engine and transmission computers and the rest of the vehicle. A simple evap code can prevent us getting into low range.. I’d think convincing the Toyota electronics not to look for the appropriate signals for everything to work would be nearly impossible, not to mention the emissions legality of a swap like that.

If someone does I surely want to read about it.. only because it means something like a LT5 would be theoretically possible….

Pretty sure no one has, between the 3ur being a fantastic engine almost eliminating the need and the high level of integration between the engine and transmission computers and the rest of the vehicle. A simple evap code can prevent us getting into low range.. I’d think convincing the Toyota electronics not to look for the appropriate signals for everything to work would be nearly impossible, not to mention the emissions legality of a swap like that.

If someone does I surely want to read about it.. only because it means something like a LT5 would be theoretically possible….
Not wanting to sound like a downer but...( insert can of worms smile emoji ) Hell yes I would drive though.

If that swap had been done it would surely be smattered all over social media.

Throwing the integration complexities aside, the 3UR is one helluva driveline with either transmission. If you have the 8spd, even moreso...so why replace it? Legitimately asking here.

Not sure what would be gained with an LS swap as the 3UR is an analogous V8 motor right in the pocket of displacement and output to the LS. Sure the LS has more aftermarket support and more fire breathing variants.

To @bloc 's point, there would be a ton of integration to solve.

The money and effort would be better spent on modifying the 3UR. There's some notable well developed kits from BC. Even 7.0L kits.

Could be a cheaper option for someone who hydrolocked their 3UR, I suppose

Maybe as a full gut and replace it would be viable. Replace engine, Engine ECU. Body ECU. All controls. Replace transmission and transfer case. Custom axles and driveshafts. While at it need to put in a SFA.
At this point you're probably wishing you'd started with most any Jeep body and using an OTS kit, or building a rail / buggy.

Maybe as a full gut and replace it would be viable. Replace engine, Engine ECU. Body ECU. All controls. Replace transmission and transfer case. Custom axles and driveshafts. While at it need to put in a SFA.
Are you trying to turn me off from this idea, or turn me onto it?

At this point you're probably wishing you'd started with most any Jeep body and using an OTS kit, or building a rail / buggy.
And at that point you would absolutely have spent more than just replacing the 3UR, and been without your rig for three to six months while the gauge cluster is figured out.. or some other obscure system that is actually really important to have working in a a streetable rig.

Reactions: jhg
With this many ECU's onboard talking CAN bus, and half of them likely throwing fits without key ECUs in place, I wouldn't dare.

1654750603817.png

If that swap had been done it would surely be smattered all over social media.

Throwing the integration complexities aside, the 3UR is one helluva driveline with either transmission. If you have the 8spd, even moreso...so why replace it? Legitimately asking here.
I agree, I love the 3UR, but the 8 speed in my 18 sucks compared to the 6 speed in my previous 08 and 13.

Outside of the ECU integration, GM motors are cheaper, more available parts, more power, and better gas mileage. Unless I'm missing something. There is a reason they are swapped into everything. So I need to find someone that can figure out the integration part ...

Well after you finish you’ll have spent 2 Land Cruisers in price getting it to work so cheaper parts arent going to matter.

I don’t see the payoff here, other platforms were calling for the power, this one isn’t. The 200 with a supercharger and 4.88s would be way better money spent.

But if you go through with it, please document it here, would be really cool to see if anything.

If the project goes forward and is documented here, I predict a thread many hundreds of pages (not just posts) long and years in the making.

Outside of the ECU integration, GM motors are cheaper, more available parts, more power, and better gas mileage. Unless I'm missing something. There is a reason they are swapped into everything. So I need to find someone that can figure out the integration part ...

People swapping LSs in Toyotas are usually replacing expensive to rebuild, hard to get parts for, clapped out, ancient, gutless 2Fs, 22res, 3F-Es etc.

The 3UR isn’t exactly rare, hard to get parts for, anemic, or unreliable.

You’ll be a pioneer if you figure it out but these are weird things to solve for and throw money at.

Last edited:
I can tell you that from a shop that does swaps point of view, at least this shop, it's a non starter. The amount of R&D required to make it all work would simply not be worth it in my point of view. I specialize in 60 and 80 swaps for a reason. I just do not think that there is a large enough market to make it all worth while. That said, if I were to approach it, it would have to be totally stand alone. Figuring out all the other related systems that are missing various signals formerly produced by the OEM computer sounds like a party I'd just rather hear about the next day than actually attend :)

Last edited:

I'm a fan of the LS. LS swap is always the answer!

That said, the LS is usually an upgrade to some lesser motor. On far simpler cars. The 5.7L is not exactly a lesser motor, and is widely available from mainstream Tundras and Sequoias. A hi performance desirable LS variant is going to cost similar money, and def not enough savings to offset the integration costs.

The 200-series is a highly integrated and refined car. All the core off-roading tools such as CRAWL, ATRAC, electronic transfer case, variable steer, even ABS...all that potentially is gone, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. A 200-series wouldn't be worth having without those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom