LOW WITHOUT CENTER DIFF LOCKED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

on installing the center diff lock switch, ive seen square ones and ive seen rectangle shaped ones, what is the differance. is it year? I have a 96 and was wondering if it mattered what cdl switch i use

One situation not mentioned here is ice. I found myself on a shelf road, 50' above a creek, sliding sideways. I really wanted to go to low and drive out really slow.
But I couldn't. I had to turn. I had done that on pavement with the center locked and the tires chirped and slid a lot. In the most intense way, I didn't want any tire to slip a bit on a very icy shelf! It was scary enough already!
I got down the icy hill OK, but next time I will have an open low range to help out.

on installing the center diff lock switch, ive seen square ones and ive seen rectangle shaped ones, what is the differance. is it year? I have a 96 and was wondering if it mattered what cdl switch i use

The curved switch you see is for 91-94 dash, fits right up where the ECT, Antenna Switch is.

On the 95+ its square. Commonly people use a spare/extra/junkyard switch. Same pin-out and will fit in your dash at one of the un-used locations.

Ebag333 said you may be swing by sometime to look at his skid plate. Let me know, we live with a block or 2 of each other, you can compare the 94 to yours and his 97.

EDIT: oh and I just cut my 7pin wire :D

the low 4 position switch at the transfer case, anybody have a pic of where it is located? the old pics that were part of this thread are missing....it may help some newbies.

Stock CDL

I've got a 95. Just took it up an old mining road in Northern Idaho... much more snow than expected. Scraped up the whole rig... bummer... but didn't lose my prize like I thought I was going to coming down (almost slid off the mountain).

I read through the entire thread. I had a buddy ship me a hazard switch. Will that work as a CDL switch? also, would CDL disengaged in the deep snow, on a narrow mining road allow better control?? (i know thread is wicked old) :beer:

so this mod is only for 93-97. I have a 91 thats why.

I know I am reviving a long thread especially in the FAQ, but I don't see any info I have on a question on my mind. How does the 7-pin and CDL switch work with an auto locker (e.g. Aussie rear)? I am about to buy the Aussie rear and wonder how to use this mod with the Aussie. Is it the same as discussed above, or are there pluses and minuses with the auto lock? Also, any additional examples of how you fellow mudders use the CDL or 7- Pin would be helpful. Plus, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the rear aussie only lock when the CDL is locked? Thanks for any insight on this.

JB

I know I am reviving a long thread especially in the FAQ, but I don't see any info I have on a question on my mind. How does the 7-pin and CDL switch work with an auto locker (e.g. Aussie rear)? I am about to buy the Aussie rear and wonder how to use this mod with the Aussie. Is it the same as discussed above, or are there pluses and minuses with the auto lock? Also, any additional examples of how you fellow mudders use the CDL or 7- Pin would be helpful. Plus, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the rear aussie only lock when the CDL is locked? Thanks for any insight on this.

JB

No issues. I have an aussie locker in the rear, 7pin mod and cdl button. Works great.

The Aussie will work just the same as in HI and unlocked. The 7-pin just gives you the ability to use your low gears with the center unlocked (all-wheel drive). I just recently did the mod and have used it quite a bit. Even on the road while traveling.

So being in Australia and being the drivers seat is on the right of the vehicle, is this mod or relay still on the drivers side or will it still be in the same location in the left hand panel????

So being in Australia and being the drivers seat is on the right of the vehicle, is this mod or relay still on the drivers side or will it still be in the same location in the left hand panel????

You would need to consult the RHD parts catalog to see which side the ECU is located. Presumably it would remain on the driver's side, in your case on the right.

Despite having a manual gearbox I did the pin 7 mod which saved me crawling under the car to disconnect plugs ect. Until doing this mod I used to struggle reversing trailers into tight corners when in low range, the driveline gets bound up and you could hear the tyres scrabbling over the tarmac, now it is a breeze.

regards

Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom