LOW WITHOUT CENTER DIFF LOCKED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Matt,

It's not as hard as it sounds. Just get in there and take a peek. It will be quite evident. In other words, it hides in plain sight........................

Regards......Dan :beer:

-H-,

You too can join the ranks of the un-locked low life...er ..range crowd. The ECU and the wire color be exactly the same...... 8)

The only difference is you didn't have to buy the switch.... ::)

&nbsp:Dunno if I like this...................my little secret is rapidly becoming public knowledge.............. :tear:

-H-

You already had the switch. Let's see, 45.78 plus tax is 48.44...Divided by 8.00 equals .....um 6 of those lovely yellow packs.

How's that? :beer:

That would be it.......The part you leave alone............ :beer:

Chris,
Is that a picture of the underside of your truck?

If yes, then please don't post any pics of that brand new xfer case skid plate unless you at least throw some mud on it. That truck obviously hasn't been out of the mall parking lots and Junk will get upset. We promised him that we would keep the "mudders" in line while he is out of touch this week. :D

-B-

Chris,
Is that a picture of the underside of your truck?

If yes, then please don't post any pics of that brand new xfer case skid plate unless you at least throw some mud on it. That truck obviously hasn't been out of the mall parking lots and Junk will get upset.  We promised him that we would keep the "mudders" in line while he is out of touch this week.   :D

-B-

Actually the mall is one of the best places to find a new rig! By the looks of this one it's never been offroad in it's life. Well that's going to change. I was putting in a set of low profile drain plugs and changing the diff fluid and noticed how clean the diff's were so I shot a pic of them. The diffs and plug rings don't have a scratch on them

Chris,
That looks too clean underneath to be a 1994 truck with 140,000 miles. :eek: Tell me you steam cleaned the undercarriage for those photos.
-B-

I had been looking for 80 for months and when I saw this one I jumped on it and got it that same day. It's the cleanest I saw and only paid $12K for it. The inside is like new. Not a single dent or ding on the body. It's been in California all it's life and has no signs of rust anywhere.

I don't think the 4wd had ever been used, so the center diff lock was stuck but all it needed was a little TLC and a diff lock switch.

I pulled the electric diff locks out and they were clean, never had water in them, both units are like new.

Now it's time to sell the rear seats and running boards!

Sorry for the stupid question, but the only benefit listed for low gear without the center diff locked is a higher rev limit for gear switching.

The 'pwr' switch seems to provide that benefit already..? [I haven't checked it decelerating, but accelerating it clearly provides higher rev points]

This whole discussion brings up another point I've wondered about. Supposedly when you're in low and the center diff is locked, it will automatically disengage over 5 mph. [according to my owner's manual] I tested it and it did disengage over 5 mph. I don't understand this feature. &nbsp:Does Toyota assume you'll never need your diffs locked over 5mph? :dunno:

Matt

The power switch does move up the shift points, when I was playing around I tried that and it did not seem to be quite the same as when in low(my experience).
As far as the center diff unlocking above 5mph, it does not.
You may be thinking about the front and rear difflocks. They will not LOCK if the vehicle speed is above 5mph. They will however, stay locked if the vehicle speed exceeds 5mph after locking.
In addition, the center diff must be locked before the difflock ECU will allow locking of ethier diff.
If the center diff lock is disengaged with the diffs locked, the diffs will also unlock regardless of the diff lock switch position.

Sorry for the stupid question, but the only benefit listed for low gear without the center diff locked is a higher rev limit for gear switching.

Matt

The primary reason for wanting the center diff open in low range is for low speed maneuvering on hard surfaces. Sometimes it's handy to be able use lo range but if your turning tight the drive line can bind up. With the center diff open you can still turn on hard ground. Real handy for backing up trailers in tight spaces.

CDan,
If the center diff lock is disengaged with the diffs locked, the diffs will also unlock regardless of the diff lock switch position.
Can you clarify that as it relates to removing the wire from pin 7. I.E. If I am controlling all the locking and unlocking of the center diff with the dash switch and with the wire removed will the front and rear disengage above 5 MPH if I have the center diff disengaged?  :dunno:

Also, it is handy to have the center diff disengaged when trying to negotiate logging road switchbacks. It is nice to have the rear locked up but not be bound in the middle.
Bill

C-Dan,

A followup question to Photoman's:

Assume you have Rear locked (w/OEM diff locks), the CDL switch, the center diff locked, low range, under 5 MPH.

1. If you unlock center diff via CDL switch will it unlock rear?

2. If you then lock center diff via CDL switch will it relock rear?

3. Same questions and scenario with both F&R?

-B-

Bill,

Bear with me while I set this up. The front and rear diffs will only lock with the center diff locked first. They do not know or care how the center gets locked, only if it is locked. By installing the switch and pulling the wire from pin 7 you have converted center locking to manualy selected by you. The front and rear diffs still behave the same way, they wait for a locked center and a vehicle speed below 5mph before they are "armed" so to speek. Once the front and rear diffs are locked they will only un lock when the rotary switch is turned Or the center diff is unlocked (manualy by the operator in this case). In other words the front and rear diffs couldn't care less how fast you drive AFTER they are locked, they stay locked until told otherwise.
As the system is currently configured you can not lock the rear unless the center is locked. Also you can not lock only the front, the rear must be locked first. It may be possible to fool the diff lock ECU in a fashion similar to what I discovered with the center diff lock. I know that there is a vehicle speed sensor feed to the diff lock ECU that could be deleted, that would eniminate the blocking of the locking above 5mph. I do not think I would do that as a diff locking up at higher speeds can get spooky. Also it would have no impact on enableing locking the front or rear without the center first locked. You would need to "fool" the diff lock ECU into thinking the center was locked even if it wasn't. then you could lock just the diffs. to take it a step further you could also probably fool it to think the rear was locked if you just wanted to lock the front.
I will look at the EWD's and see if it looks doable.......

Regards....Dan

-B-

Yes, unlocking the center does unlock the ends.
The ends will re lock along with the center if you left the rotary switch on AND you are traveling under 5mph.

IS EVERYBODY BORED YET?

Sometimes I get carried away............. :beer:

C-Dan,

I'll have to think about it a bit but offhand it seems like this is a useable feature offroad.

For example:  You could put it in Low, lock the center diff via CDL switch, then lock the rear via rotary.  Now, just use the CDL switch to unlock center and rear, wheeling away until you approach an obstacle, then press the CDL and both center and rear will lock up. Pass the obstacle and press CDL to unlock both.  In situations where you don't want the rear diff locked (e.g. off-camber cross-hill descent in snow) you could unlock the rear.

I usually air down and engage CDL when the PT 4wd guys turn their hubs.  I'm wondering if this might be a better approach....  Any thoughts?

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom