My new bj40 and my dinosaur hj45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tornio

only sheep need a leader
Threads
Hello to all you guys !
a lot of time away from this wonderful forum ...but you Know life is strange ... tu cut a long story short :
4 years ago, after 10 years i left my "old" girlfriend so i had to move to new house... at the same time i have changed job company...a lot of new things to manage and no time for land cruiser....so i donated my beloved 42 to my brother.

2 years ago i bought this one :

this is a 1978 bj40 cabrio but the engine is from 1975 bj , the first type which has the IP with separate lubricant oil , not perfect but runnig good and free rust.
bj40cabrio.2.jpg
bj40cabrio.jpg

and now the "new" one...the last but not the least
1976 hj45

hj45.jpg
hj45.4.jpg
hj45.jpg

the 45 has some issue but it is in good ... , the PO did a frame off resto , galvanized chassis, all nuts and bolts inox and a lot more...
so i think to share with you this faboulus truck that i call dinosaur !

Welcome back tornio !
Congrats for your new purchase: this HJ45 is actually like a second home, isn't it?

thanks greek cruiserhead ! yes it will be our (me and my new girl) second home but at this moment i have to fix some issue ....
a lot of smoke....
alternator charge16 v
try to lighten the dinosaur now 32 qli / 7050 lbs and the engine struggles :deadhorse:

I probally open a more speficic topic about...

one thing i have to say : 25 years driving b and 3b, first time now h engine , beautiful !
the straight six is very pleasant engine... thinking on 2h or 1hz..... ( dreaming :steer:)

Last edited:
a lot of smoke....
alternator charge16 v

For the smoke.. consider a blown leather diaphragm in the injection pump.
For the overcharging consider open circuit/resistive sense wire to the regulator (or to the alternator if an internally regulated alternator has been fitted).

I have some "H" resources at my Toyota Diesel site listed in my .sig below.

hello duncarm ! "nice to see you" again !

i ordered yeasterday two diaphragm one for the 40 and one for 45 , but i think injector are "low" ... WE WILL SEE...

i have the 3 wire regulator and a good multimeter we will see what is the problem ..

the " only " strange things is that there is a lot... a lot of new wire because the conversion camper/motorhome made in the 1996....

i'll open a specific thread

although a lot of time has passed i still familiar with j4 and to be honest HERE I LEARNED A LOT !

THANK'S

hello !
the smoking hj : waiting for the new diaphragm i tried the liquimoly diesel purge and i have to say that it works now i have less smoke !
i'll change the diaphragm in any case but i think that the smoke don't seems cause from a governor problem....
i have no high rpm when idling
i have no white/gray smoke going downhill using engine brake , my 42 with perforated diaphragm smoked like a Titanic !

investigating about the charging wiring ( 3 wires regulator) i found that the Ig wire coming from the "key" was in the wrong place
exscuse me i have to go i'll finish after
the OP told me that he had a problem during the last trip he had :the alternator was not charging so it went to nearest mechanic and he solved....

yes he solved but how ? he connected the Ig wire to the F terminal ....

I connected the wires in the right way and infact i had no charge at all

thinking about to solve i remembered that i had something similar in to my junkbox et voila i found this
IMG_20231116_230148.jpg
IMG_20231116_230159.jpg

this is from an old motorbike but it looks very similar so i connected the 3 wires and i was lucky !!
now i have 13,7 14 v !!!!
sometimes things go right!

Last edited:
no no no...sometimes things seem to go right... yes i have 13,7 14,.. V but only without load ...
So remembering an Rudi post about VR I opened the VR and after checking the resistor i tried to adjust the arm with these result
the multimeter on the right is a "battery voltage" the other on the left i a "field voltage"

IMG_20231122_125604.jpg
IMG_20231122_125614.jpg
IMG_20231122_125623.jpg
IMG_20231122_125636.jpg

the photos are about the motor bike regulator that on the bench it has a "trickle position" while
one strange thing is that the factory VR has not a trickle charge transition :
it go to full charge to no charge and i was not able bending the arm to find a trickle charge position

i have partly solved because when installed on the hj without load i have 14-14,5 but with headlight on i have only 12,5 ... never less.. with idling engine and 13 at 2000 rpm : NOT SOLVED !
because i need the hj for a trip during the weekend i drove in this condition ..... light off during the day , i had no problem

Rereading a Rudi's post i should have set the full charge a little more high... i'll try it

but i suspect that the camper conversion drains to much ampers because when the engine is on all electric things are connected in parallel that means also the second battery ,,,I'll investigate
have a good time !
IMG-20231122-WA0012.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom