Loss of power in my LJ78 (2LTE), possible turbo issue?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey again, in my urrent string of mild repairs i took the cruiser out for a drive. No issue leaving home but i noticed a significant loss in power a couple minutes later. I was only able to get to about 30KPH on a mild uphill. Im thinking its the wastegate on the trubo stuck open, but i also had the fuel sender open to fix a leak. i doubt its an issue there though. Any of you have other ideas on possible culprits? Fingers crossed its a simple fix.

I think you may need to add some more details, like what gear where you in, and noises if any?
Was transfer case in low or high? RPM range?

Does the green boost light come on? If not it could easily be that the boost line from the throttle body to the boost sensor has come off. This tricks the engine into thinking it isn't getting any boost, and it will behave like it is naturally aspirated.
IMG_2698.jpg

I think you may need to add some more details, like what gear where you in, and noises if any?
Was transfer case in low or high? RPM range?
No power at any rpm/gear. i just tried to drive up and down the driveway and barely made it...not the waste gate actuator. No strange noises at all and the engine runs perfectly just doesnt provide power.

Does the green boost light come on? If not it could easily be that the boost line from the throttle body to the boost sensor has come off. This tricks the engine into thinking it isn't getting any boost, and it will behave like it is naturally aspirated.
View attachment 1659248
Thanks for that! im a total noob with working on turbos. Ill head back out and check that right meow.

View attachment 1659248
Green boost light does not come on but my boost line from throttle body is still attached. However there is what i can only assume is engine oil leaking out of the under side of the throttle body*see photo*(assuming ill need new rings at some point...). But that aside, could this oily build up simply be clogging the boost line? I didnt remove the line because its quite a snug fit and i figured i should ask minds brighter than mine if this is possible.

20180321_142916.jpg

The boost line should come off pretty easily, there should be a little hose clamp holding it on. I would definitely try popping the hose off at both ends and blowing through it to make sure it isn't plugged. The oil is probably from your PCV spitting it into the turbo intake pipe, a PCV catch can is a good upgrade and will stop this.

It would probably be worth pulling the rubber intake pipe off and checking the play in the turbo shaft. I suppose the boost sensor could also be bad, but I'm not sure how to test that.

As mentioned above, make sure that boost hose is connected to the little filter, and from the filter to the boost sensor. If any one of those has popped off, it will cause your issues. You can use a small zip tie as a tiny hose clamp to make sure they don't come off again. This is what I've done on my vehicle. I've had those hoses pop off at the most inconvenient times before.....(like towing up a big hill with no where to pull off and fix it).

Also, check that your intake hose hasn't collapsed or the filter collapsed. The intake hose can appear fine on the outside and still collapse internally. Truck will usually run, but can't breathe enough to make power.
At the boost sensor on the right fender, make sure the electrical connection is seated good. If it wasn't clipped and you bumped it doing other stuff it could come unplugged.
I am betting GTS and Airhead are on the right track though. Sounds like no boost.

Checked all lines and the filter between throttle manifold and the turbo pressure sensor. Everything was hooked up just fine apart from the fact that the hose attached to the manifold was not clamped(i falsely stated earlier that it was on really tight, wrong hose) it nearly fell off when i looked at funny. im kind of hoping that the air preassure was just leaking by without actually blowing the hose off. I have the fuel sender apart to fix a small leak so when its all back together ill see if the turbo spools. Thanks for all the info gang, ill be sure to check my intake side before driving it again just incase.

I have the same issue, on start up about 5 mins the turbo green light comes on and the turbo is working, then when the check engine light comes on, no turbo light and turbo is not working.

2lte LC LJ78 EX5 Automatic Prado is under power, 60kph is the maximum speed, with occasional black smoke when reversing, slow while uphill.

I have checked the silicon tubing, and replace all the sensors. Nothing happens.

I have the same issue, on start up about 5 mins the turbo green light comes on and the turbo is working, then when the check engine light comes on, no turbo light and turbo is not working.

2lte LC LJ78 EX5 Automatic Prado is under power, 60kph is the maximum speed, with occasional black smoke when reversing, slow while uphill.

I have checked the silicon tubing, and replace all the sensors. Nothing happens.
we have the same issue..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom