Looking for someone to make me part please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked at $or, new I think the part is $120. I'd bet you could thin the flanges on the outside a little with a file, then epoxy on with a few screws stainless steel outer plates as stiffeners. You could likely repair your broken ones that way too. Your plates could be thicker if you can file out the zone where they ride on the pins. My 72 came with a 76 top so I can't go look.
I do tend to agree something is wrong - Replacement gasket too thick or the locks/cams rusted or bound up some way again requiring excessive force to open the door which is breaking the I assume pot metal flange.

outside or inside handle? i need an inside one. my outside one broke because the connecting rods inside weren’t adjusted right and i would bottom out the handle before the gate would release. make sure they’re adjusted so they release before you’re levering on the handle.

i got a new outside one from cruiser outfitters for a good price.

Clean, lube, and adjust if necessary, for optimum operation and to avoid breaking handles. First pic from my microfiche set and second from my Haynes manual.

20240327_210145.jpg

20240327_212106.jpg

I think you need to work on the mechanism(s). You could also add some reinforcement the flat sides of the "L" where the break occurs.

I'm guessing its made of "Pot Metal", not know for its strength. I suggest you fix whatever is wrong with your "door" that is causing the latch handle to fail. It could be maladjustment, wear, corrosion in the rods, locking tabs, gasket or the frame...

I would think that there is enough room, that 2 pieces of 0.035 stainless steel could be glued and screwed along the outside of the tabs you circled in red. Yes you will need to drill the holes for the pivot pin the reinforcing plate. If there isn't enough clearance, thinning the tab's with a file is easy enough in pot metal.

There can be too much tension on the door, first push the door to reduce the tension a little and then move the door handle upwards

This is a common issue with tailgate handles for FJ55's. Pig handles are getting hard to find and expensive when you find them. No real way to weld or fix the broken pot metal. As mentioned, adjust your latch rods so that it only takes a small amount of pressure to release them. Find another latch and, going forward, use caution when opening the lift gate. You'll be fine.

First pic shows one of two spring loaded locks on the door. Remove, clean, and lube mechanisms. Second pic shows the two lock adjustment points. Also, as has been mentioned above, there may be excessive pressure on the door due to aftermarket rubber door gasket newness/thickness.

20240328_070425.jpg

20240328_070954.jpg

There can be too much tension on the door, first push the door to reduce the tension a little and then move the door handle upwards

I have broke one in fifty years. Been compressing the weatherstripping while lifting the handle for years. Issue is to cut down on the rattling I adjust the catches in on the sides. While a pain I loosen and tighten rods on the side. Mine broke where the handle is notched for the lock. That's the weakest spot on the handle.

I have broke one in fifty years. Been compressing the weatherstripping while lifting the handle for years. Issue is to cut down on the rattling I adjust the catches in on the sides. While a pain I loosen and tighten rods on the side. Mine broke where the handle is notched for the lock. That's the weakest spot on the handle.
Yea that's where mine breaks!

I know how you feel. I did every thing right and greased all of the points that I was supposed to before I even tried to open it up and on the first time I tried to use it it broke. Someone else locally said he made one so I made one from the broken tabs and traced out the shapes and got some angle iron and welded them together.
IMG_20240328_103047720.jpg

$40 for OEM shipped to your door. I planned to fabricate one out of stainless steel, but ordered one instead. It arrived extremely well packed and I likely couldn't buy the materials I'd want to make it out of for the price. If I factor in time, I could buy 5 for the time it would take. In 33 years I've only had my first replacement break, and that was because the spare tire hit it too hard once to many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom