Looking for rear axle shaft SPLINE DATA (late model 1980 FJ40) - UPDATED INFO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all, I was hoping someone out there may have the spline data for the OEM rear shafts from under a 1980 FJ40. I am going to need to have a pair of custom rear shafts made for my early centered housing but without the coarse spline ends. Basically I need a pair of original centered rear shafts made with the newer fine spline ends. I have been talking with Strange Engineering and cost will be much less if I can provide them with the spline data rather than them trying to figure it out from a sample. Let me know, thanks!

D2

Actually, mini pickups 85 and earlier used the same splines too, and the rearends are the same width as a FJ40. You might want to find a company who has made custom axles for Toyotas.

I cut the bearing ends off a 40 rear housing and adapted mini truck ends and stk axles and made a hybrid mini/40 centered rear. As Jim Land mentioned, no more c clips and I'm able to use the 40 3rd member. There is a write up on "how to" that I followed, somewhere on this site.

Last edited:
Talked with Strange Engineering and they referred me to Dutchman Axles. I spoke with Derek on the phone and he was very helpful. He informed me that the axles I need are no issue for them (fine spline axles for an early centered rear end). He said they can produce them in 2 versions with or without the press on bearing race and he recommended the style without the press on race where the rollers of the bearing actually ride directly on the shaft itself. Now from an engineering perspective the kind with the press on bearing race (OEM) would be better if there is a bearing problem as it would act as the sacrificial piece and not require replacement of the entire shaft. However, they are more expensive.

Both styles are c-clip design, 6-lug, with 12mm studs

The ones without the press on race are about $419/pr.
The ones with the press on race are about $619/pr.

Does anyone have experience with or an opinion on the style without the press on race?

Thanks

How about full float conversion flange with custom axle shafts splined at both ends
Hi Jim,
I did ask the guys at Dutchman Axles about this possibility but they do not offer anything without having to modify the rear housing. I was really hoping to avoid cutting the ends off as I don't have another centered housing as a backup......and I usually end up needing a backup to un-fubar my situation unfortunately :confused:.

Thanks,
Drake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom