Looking for a counter for a project... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Need a little help here. I have an idea for a project here at home, and I need a counter device that will count how many times a 120V device runs each day. I don't need to know how long it ran (hour meter won't work), just a count of how many. Cumulative is preferred, I don't need/want it to reset each day. Simple is better, don't need bluetooth/wifi/usb. Don't care what it looks like, it will be used in the basement on a piece of equipment.

I took a look through the McMaster-Carr catalog and I don't see what I'm looking for, but honestly I'm not sure how to search for it. I'm sure someone in Mud-ville has better knowledge than I do on this.

If you can't find exactly what you want, I have used a 120V power meter before that had some sort of adjustable timer that would measure when the unit uses more than some settable value power. There was some ways of downloading the data. Maybe you could get the number from something like that, although I imagine it may also involve some manual or software counting, so not ideal.
A more elegant solution, of course, would be with an Arduino, if you fancy that sort of thing.

So you basically want it to count how many times it starts up - and don't care if it runs for five minutes or an hour once it has started up?

I'm trying to think of a simple way to do something like that and drawing a blank. As e9999 says, you could probably do something with an Arduino. What triggers the startup? I'm guessing something like pressure for a well pump or a thermostat for a furnace?

I want to know how many times the Radon system is filling it's tank every day. I've always been curious and I think this would be very useful. It's a fixed amount of water to fill the tank, which is easy to figure out (math, and I'll confirm with a bucket measurement).

It's a very simple system, uses a float switch inside the tank which opens a solenoid valve and turns on a blower to aerate the water to remove the Radon. No electronics, no timers, no monitors, just a float switch (submersible pump float).

So yeah, I don't care how long it runs, just want to know how many times it runs.

You can get a data logger attached to an amp meter to record when the blower is running. A quick google search brought up many possibilities for this combination. Unfortunately that solution would still require you to go through the data and manually count the events.

or if it's a one time thing, just set a camera focused on the float or some sort of sensor / lit bulb / whatever in interval recording mode. Should not take too long to go over the recording.

As to counting events if you have downloaded data, that would be very easy to do with Excel.

It's a very simple system, uses a float switch inside the tank which opens a solenoid valve and turns on a blower to aerate the water to remove the Radon.
Does the blower run a fixed or variable amount of time? If fixed then you can use something like this below and just divide the total run time by the fixed interval. If it isn't a fixed aeration time, then what is it measuring to cut off the blower? Radon concentration on the gas outflow? Just curious.

For some reason I can't get the link to paste but here's the model info:

Spartan Power Energy Meter Electricity Usage Monitor SP-PM120

Last edited:
Does the blower run a fixed or variable amount of time? If fixed then you can use something like this below and just divide the total run time by the fixed interval. If it isn't a fixed aeration time, then what is it measuring to cut off the blower? Radon concentration on the gas outflow? Just curious.

Amazon product ASIN B079JWGS92
Linky no worky...

The blower is controlled by the float switch. When the tank is low, the float closes a switch that opens a solenoid valve and turns on the blower. The solenoid valve allows water to come from the well pump into the tank. When the level hits the "Full" point, the float opens the switch and closes the valve and shuts off the blower. It's incredibly simple, no electronics, timers, or sensors, which is probably why it has been working flawlessly since 2008.

Then there's a small submersible pump in the tank that re-pressurizes the water for use in the house. This is controlled by a traditional pressure switch, with a pressure storage tank.

I don't know if the run time is consistent, but it likely is pretty close.

Grainger has them listed as electromechanical counters. (Electrical/industrial controls.../industrial automation/meters...)
Thanks, this looks perfect. A click on the counter every time it sees 120V. I like the mechanical device, so it can't reset if the power fails. I just couldn't figure out the proper name to search for. I'll post back if it works.

Cheapest one at Grainger was ~$65. Found a cheapo on on Amazon for $12, so I'll take a chance on that one.

I just couldn't figure out the proper name to search for.

Adam Savage talks here about "Rumpelstiltskin Tools" and it really struck a chord with me:

As he says, "once you know the name of the thing you've broken its spell..." That is really profound. With all the information available out there, you can still be at a total loss if you don't know how to name it. This applies to tools, supplies, equipment, etc. Of course, he then goes on to explain forstner bits and transfer punches, which I consider to be basic tools most anyone with a workshop would know about...

Adam Savage

He was here on Mud for a short time, after he got his 40. Got spooked off pretty quick by some of the, er, "eccentric" personalities.

Like he isn't eccentric himself! I'd have thought he would have fit right in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom