MIG Welding: Which Gas, and How Big a Cylinder? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

there's no real cost difference.

I can swap my 20 pound CO2 bottle for about $45.

AR/CO2: 55cuft cylinder 268.80 + gas 26.23+tax out the door = 328.57

I'm paying a lot for the cylinder itself. I can trim $100 off that if I buy one on Amazon, which I'm fairly hesitant to do.

But you only have to buy the tank once
May as well get it out of the way.

if you already have the CO2 bottle, just go with that IMO if you just want to practice your MIG. It's a cheap way to get started. Yes, the welds may not look as nice, but you may get better penetration so it's not all bad.

You do realize that a 20 cu ft cylinder can be held in one hand and is good for about 5 minutes of welding right?

EVERYONE buys a used tank and exchanges them. Look at Marketplace and Craigslist. You should have 20 to choose from for around $100.

EDIT: I exagurated. 20Cu ft will last 30-45 minutes.

@aztoyman and @e9999 That is what I needed to hear. Thank you. and @PIP had no idea about that cylinder size. So yeah, CO2 for now, and then I'll buy a nice big 125cu ft cylinder later.

Once again, I sincerely appreciate all this. I'm going to stop thinking about it for now :D

Cool video. I haven't run CO2 in a while but I did have to change my settings and technique. Also used spatter guard (spray). Used it when I had a small machine.

Last edited:
@geocrasher You were me a few year ago. At the time I was tired of sh*tty HF welder stick welds, so I bought a TIG/MIG machine (Miller Multimatic 220), which required two bottles. I wanted to save money on bottles/gas so I bought a 20 cu ft bottle each of Argon and Argon/C02. At my local welding supply shop, you can own the bottles, and if you upgrade in size, you just pay the difference. I quickly realized that those small bottles didn't last long, especially when practicing. The more I welded, the better I got, and I started really enjoying it. I also started making all kinds of stuff so I went from the 20s to 40s, then 60s, and finally ended up at 120 cu ft bottles. Those seem to last a while, at least for me. Now a bottle exchange is less than the cost of other consumables I am usually purchasing.

The only issue I currently have is trying to find a reasonably priced bottle of Trimix for occasional stainless MIG. I found that the 75/25 mix with FC E308L works ok for that application. Better than me trying TIG upside down on my back.

Good luck with reasonably priced trimix! It will be expensive anywhere due to the cost of helium. I go through quite a bit of it at work welding stainless tubing, we run 307 cu ft bottles and the exchange price is usually just under $600. Stainless can be welded with C25, but loses some of its corrosion resistance. I also weld quite a bit of stainless to mild steel using regular ER70-S6 wire and C25, but those parts all get powder coated so the corrosion resistance is a non issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom