Looking at next vehicle after my hundy. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chrisek

LC noob
GOLD Star
Threads
As the title implies, looking like final year or two of my trusty 2004 LC100 being my daily (30+k/yr) As new OEM parts are beginning to dwindle. Which begs the question: what next? Likely keeping the hundy as the spare vehicle. Get an LC200/LX570? LX600? The price of a new LX luxury & 18” wheels puts me in spitting distance of something fun like Slee’s 5k 2019 LC200 ARB show vehicle. Now, being honest, I really do not need all that extra stuff. But I am thinking of bumpering up my next vehicle. Was at Slee’s this morning, and the cool factor/quality of build is solid.
Currently my spare car is a 2008 LS600. Love driving the car, but the realities (costs or replacing worn out parts) of owning a flagship sedan just are not for me. While my 100 is a maintenance whore, it has never stranded me and is very comfortable in its own right. A trade off that has worked very well.
Sat in a (curently stock) LX600 with the 18’ wheels this morning (again at Slee’s, their next show vehicle) and there is no question it is nice even if those are funny looking wheels. Wheels are easy, just would love to see someone with 100k on that new ttV6 is all.
while a final iteration LC200 Does everything so well and is proven. As well a final iteration of the 570 (would have to get 18’ wheels though for a better ride). They are both proven and durable.
Posting this on the 100 forum as many in the asylum have already made this switch (gotten a newer one but kept their 100 as well). In 2023/24 what is the better companion vehicle to the 100 and take over main driving duties Should I be considering something else entirely? I mean I could get a Grand Highlander/TX for the bulk of the miles and take the hundy out for poor conditions Etc. Or a full size truck, the idea being in the next vehicle to expand capabilities of what’s in the garage.
Obviously this is just the spit-balling phase, so looking to see what others have been thinking or done, and if they would do anything different. Thanks.

Long post. Do you off-road heavy, mild, or mall crawl/daily drive. If you do any of the first two an lx600 seems like a lot of dough. And to mile up a soccer mobile grand Highlander that isn’t any more manly than a ls600 sedan….I mean it’s your money and it will look purdy

I’m exploring a departure with my 03 lc and right now the only vehicle I’d be interested in having a payment for is a 16-21(no new monitor display to fail) lx570. That engine is proven just like the 4.7

But also, the big body ls is an awesome and fast sedan. With regular maintenance you should be cruising in that thing any amount of miles daily knowing you have a timelessly Luxury whip that dumbasses are paying $1000/month for a new model year with similar level of plush/performance.

lastly, I’m currently most likely to buy a early 2000’s ls (probably 430 cuz I like the square edges) so that may give you insight to my opinion.

From a sales perspective we need more info about you first

How often do you leave the pavement

Do you find yourself in remote areas with no cell service / tow truck availability

Do you go four wheeling? Four low? rock crawling?

What do you want out of a vehicle? Comfort, towing power, top speed?

The goal here is to figure out if you need an adventure truck or if something like a grand highlander ( like you mentioned ) would be appropriate. People have a way of getting caught up in what they want VS what they need. If you don't leave the pavement too often but need good AWD get something more practical like the highlander. If you want an adventure rig that won't disappoint well then make sure it says land cruiser on the tailgate and you'll be OK, doesn't matter what year. If you want an off road rig to just beat on get a jeep. You want a good commuter get a Honda or Toyota 4 cyl. You want to have fun, get a motorcycle

If you have the means to keep the cruiser and get a second vehicle my vote is to get something more timid like a highlander or even the Rav4..... I am also extremely biased because that's exactly what I have. A highlander with studded snow tires will out drive my cruiser all winter long on the highway. The cruiser will dominate in the deep stuff and is my go-to for camping .

Are the Sequoia (both V8 and V6 models) and Nissan Armada worthy candidates? They also have offroad/overland vehicle roots.

@excessive: I’m grabbing a circuit board that is the last in North America currently. Chow Cares grabbed the last new fuse box a couple years ago. The problem isn’t 2023 or 2024. But the day is coming.

@Pucker5 and @MikeNXP: I don’t off road. That is what my motos are for. But I have been the only one or last one to make it through bad weather before highways have shut down 4-6 times. Not often, but it sure beat idling on the freeway overnight in blizzards or backtracking 50 miles for a hotel. The capability of the LC helped me quite a bit. Main use is still 30+k/yr though on pavement. All conditions.

And also at Packer5: yes, the big body is great. While nothing goes wrong on it per se, I just spent a lot of money redoing the struts and arms and will again in another 125k miles. Just no fun. And the 200/570 is a known good ride which is why I’m considering it.

Also at MikeNXP: while I can’t mention any by name. I am regular in areas without cell service.

Wants: supreme reliability, comfort for 1000-1400 mile days (usually two in a row), control in all weather conditions. It would be nice if it was powerful enough to stay at 80mph while climbing hills.

My hundy prefers 75mph across the flats it is more comfortable at 55-65mph climbing out of Slat Lake City or the continental divide, etc. purchasing something 10-20yrs newer I am looking to cruise at 80 without losing on the 100’s strengths (reliability and comfort).

@dbleon: exactly. This what the lx600 guys are unanimous on. Truly, I’m just nervous about that motor/turbos in 150k+ miles.

@newbielx470. Both could be candidates. My preference in general is a Toyota:Lexus product as I have a service crew help me get many vehicles past 300k reliably. Which would point more towards the Sequoia. I love the looks of the new one, but that new motor had many technical bulletins already in the sequoia and tundra. Again, worried about that motor/turbos/cooling system 150k+ down the road.

Last edited:
Oh, and I would prefer the next vehicle to not get worse mpg than the hundy 🤣🤣🤣

Clearly this must appeal to someone, but the front of the LX600 makes me throw up in my mouth a little every time I look at it.

IMG_7837.jpeg

Trust me Bisho, it is not my favorite looking LC. But 10 years from now we might view it different. What I really don’t like style wise is on the interior. That top screen looks like some said “hey! I got the little tablet on sale at Best Buy, where can we mount it?”
The LX600 just is not perfect, but it is comfortable and I would have to trust the reliability though I would be super pissed to find out 5-7 years later that it isn’t. Whereas an LC200/LX570 is proven. People who have owned both say the lx600 is much more comfortable and power is much improved at altitude. Throw in better mpg (Slee just did a 350 mile drive and got 21.1 mpg!) and it is a worthy option to consider.
The downsides to the LC200/LX570 is that they arguably do not ride as well as the LC100 and today’s used car prices are just silly. 2020/21 LC200’s are still at original MSRP while the LX is beginning to drop some (as used LX’s are usually less $ than LC’s), a new LX600 is not much more than these.

While my Grand Highlander comment was a little tongue in cheek, I was just recognizing that I don’t need a rough and tumble SUV. The LC100 is just famously durable/reliable and the size feels perfect for me. Sedans, station wagons, SUV’s could all be a possibility as long as the reliability and capability are there.

Last edited:
I'll throw out another (smaller) option - being that you already have some crossovers on there - a Highlander Hybrid. Three rows, AWD, bulletproof non-turbo drivetrain, 35/35 mpg epa rating (yes it actually gets that), comfortable, pulls 80-85 mph on the interstate all day long, including at altitude (we took ours to UT/AZ/CO this summer and pulled Eisenhower in it - it charged the batteries going uphill and got 38-39 mpg out of a few tanks and never below 32 mpg). The upper-tier trims are Lexus-like in luxury.

The Grand Highlander and Sequoia/LX600 all have new turbo motors and associated question marks on their long-term reliability. The normal Highlander has the basic N/A 2.5 Atkinson cycle engine with the hybrid assist that Toyota has perfected. Simple and easy to work on. Passing power is good with the battery assist and the AWD works fine. They are probably quicker than a stock 100 by a good margin but slower than the other options you listed.

Definitely a good pick and worthy of consideration. I was given a previous Gen RX450h (should be similar?) as a loaner and ran it for a week. what kind of speeds were you able to climb at? And right now that hybrid tax new and used is brutal. Unfortunately that means a new one at MSRP is looking like the better option for most vehicles.

Definitely a good pick and worthy of consideration. I was given a previous Gen RX450h (should be similar?) as a loaner and ran it for a week. what kind of speeds were you able to climb at? And right now that hybrid tax new and used is brutal. Unfortunately that means a new one at MSRP is looking like the better option for most vehicles.
We paid $500 over MSRP for ours. I wouldn't try to get a used one - we had to get on the list with one of our local dealers and weren't picky with the color/trims (which is how we got the Bronze edition in white). I think the top-tier trims like a Platinum might actually be easier to find.

We had no problem pulling Eisenhower at 65-70 mph and the vehicle had power to spare on the entire trip, including on Eisenhower (from the West). We've had ours since January and it already has 17K miles on it. My GX is getting very few miles now, it's hard to justify when the Highlander literally uses half the gas. The GX is more fun to drive an unique but the Highlander is a much better vehicle for daily driving and people/stuff hauling activities.

EDIT: With photo - at 9K ft in southern Utah. Not gonna lie it was hard driving through some of the best off-roading country in the Lower 48 without my GX, mpg be damned. The comfort is actually similar to my GX (which has a very similar interior to a LX470/100), we had no problem with a 1,200 mile day on the way home, but have also done similar length days in my GX. I'd say comfort is a wash between the two rigs.
20230628_112129.jpg

Last edited:
Are the Sequoia (both V8 and V6 models) and Nissan Armada worthy candidates? They also have offroad/overland vehicle roots.
All sequoias are made in the USA and the quality is not good. When I bought my brand new Tacoma in 2021, I did my own insoection after brining it home. I noticed a heater hose clamp was not mounted correctly just at 7 miles. If I continue to run, the hose might have poped out from the metal tube leaking all coolant and destroying the entire engine. I told my self... stick to made in Japan vehicles.

Armada is fully made in Japan and it is the Nissan Patrol for the rest of the world. I am infact considering buying a 23 Armada sometime soon. I would never pay a dime over MSRP.

All sequoias are made in the USA and the quality is not good. When I bought my brand new Tacoma in 2021, I did my own insoection after brining it home. I noticed a heater hose clamp was not mounted correctly just at 7 miles. If I continue to run, the hose might have poped out from the metal tube leaking all coolant and destroying the entire engine. I told my self... stick to made in Japan vehicles.

Armada is fully made in Japan and it is the Nissan Patrol for the rest of the world. I am infact considering buying a 23 Armada sometime soon. I would never pay a dime over MSRP.
Well said, and sorry to hear about the Taco.

I call BS on this! Show me proof US built Sequoia’s are crap? Why are you even on this forum? Doesn’t Nissan have their own forum? You should spend your time over there. This guy has been posting the same Armada leg humping crap in the 200 series recent price thread.

Look at #18

Or #1

Last edited:
I would buy a LX570 and add a 12.5 AUX fuel tank. The AHC is incredible - especially for the miles you rack up. The $ savings over an LX600 buys a lot of fuel.

Out of curiosity, how do your ack up 30k miles a year? Travel for work? Lots of family road trips during the year?

I would buy a LX570 and add a 12.5 AUX fuel tank. The AHC is incredible - especially for the miles you rack up. The $ savings over an LX600 buys a lot of fuel.

Out of curiosity, how do your ack up 30k miles a year? Travel for work? Lots of family road trips during the year?
Agree on money saved buying a lot of gas. And why I keep coming back to a 2020/21 LX570.

As for mileage, i’ll just say a lot of family issues that needed attention in person for the last few years. Hoping to transition to less miles (maybe 20K?) and more for fun. My actual goal is to get this next vehicle and make it my main for 20 years. The LX570/LC200 were in production for 13 years with final year being 2021. That *should* lead to plenty of support over that time. I mean the LC100 still has plenty of stuff available from your local dealer. Of course, the LX600 will readily be plentiful. Newer, so fewer issues yet being offset by the more complicated/less access to work on in the engine bay.

With 30k per of driving you'd almost cut your fuel bill in half with a hybrid. Range cab can also easily be 500+ miles on a tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom