Looking at next vehicle after my hundy. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am surprised you haven't given more consideration to a new 2023 GX @Chrisek . Really a fine TOYOTA, new, V8, and smaller for you and your wife.

Also, be careful with Cayennes, there was I think 2019 or somewhere there, where production moved away from Germany, and that made me never get one. I really considered one, until I read about it. Google it, you will find it !

And lastly, the last 5th Gen of the T4R: Another tried and true vehicle / Engine worth considering, as many have said.

Cheers,

G

I am surprised you haven't given more consideration to a new 2023 GX @Chrisek . Really a fine TOYOTA, new, V8, and smaller for you and your wife.

Also, be careful with Cayennes, there was I think 2019 or somewhere there, where production moved away from Germany, and that made me never get one. I really considered one, until I read about it. Google it, you will find it !

And lastly, the last 5th Gen of the T4R: Another tried and true vehicle / Engine worth considering, as many have said.

Cheers,

G
Thank you for the thoughts. Trust me, I’m a believer in the durability of both the GX and the 4Runner. Both great vehicles. My hundy just rides better than either. This is what makes things tough.
Been back to the dealer for service and talked about a couple of big things with them as preventative maintenance. My service advisor had two master techs (we all know each other) say these things are not needed on my LC. They told me mine will make the million mile mark if I just keep maintaining it as I do. That greatly reduced the need for the thought experiments.
At this point I’m thinking if/when the LC goes down (accident/ catastrophic failure/etc) it’ll be the newest LX. Every generation Land Cruiser has been great, it ticks all the boxes, and by all accounts has an excellent ride. Happy to keep this thread going for anyone else working through this.

I recently bought a low mile 463 G550. It was my dream car. I loved it… for one day. I drove my kids to school and back home. Next time I turned it on I got a CEL so back to the dealer it went. Never saw it again. After about a week the dealer said, “We’re waiting on a new head gasket and some other things to arrive.” I said keep it and traded it in on a GLE for my wife instead. While the G was in the shop, my LX470 got put back into duty. I say all of this because it’s tough to replace a 100. I think people like us gravitate towards them because they do everything pretty damn well and consistently. Idk what my next purchase will be, but it’ll be made by Toyota that’s for sure.

So, this topic might be coming back around for me. If the need comes up (or frustration takes over) I am looking at an LX600, or surprisingly a Yukon XL Denali/Ultimate. I know, very different. The LX has the exterior size I absolutely love (like my hundy) coupled with build quality 🤞🏼and interior quality in Luxury package. Yukon XL has the Interior space I crave, and crazy mpg (duramax) relative to the hundy. Will update as things proceed. No longer interested in hybrids, that is a different topic. Which knocks out the Sequoia, LC250, and others.

So, this topic might be coming back around for me. If the need comes up (or frustration takes over) I am looking at an LX600, or surprisingly a Yukon XL Denali/Ultimate. I know, very different. The LX has the exterior size I absolutely love (like my hundy) coupled with build quality 🤞🏼and interior quality in Luxury package. Yukon XL has the Interior space I crave, and crazy mpg (duramax) relative to the hundy. Will update as things proceed. No longer interested in hybrids, that is a different topic. Which knocks out the Sequoia, LC250, and others.
Good Call on the Denali XL - unless you find yourself looking for parking in congested cities often, you will be happy with the interior space and ride quality of the Denali

In Oklahoma, when at a local dealership I asked the Service advisor which would be easier to diagnose and work on in 2034 (his best guess): a 15 year old LC200 with 245,000 miles or a 10 year old LX600 with 200,000 miles. “5.7 all day” and “that can tower leak doesn’t happen as much as you would think”.
Also, a buddy of mine (was a Master Tech at a GM dealer and still in touch with those guys) said with the Sierra 1500 or Yukon XL to stick with 6.2 V8 for long term ownership. Baby duramax if intending to switch out in 5 years or less.

Things coming back around on this topic. While lending the hundy out to family and A/C went out 😢. Took it to dealer and hundy was completely out of refrigerant. Refreshed, and (temporarily) holding pressure. No obvious signs of leakage, leading me to think it might be the evaporator. I’ve have not heard of a 20 year old vehicle getting a dash out and going back in rattle free. Think it is time for me to take this thread seriously vs a mental excercise.
Looking at a new Yukon XL Denali Ultimate with the hope 🤞🏼of skipping the QC issues of the pandemic years. Goal is to make it to 2035 and approx 200,000 miles of use which would be a given with good maintenance on the pre-pandemic Yukon/escalade/suburban.
The other is a ‘20/‘21 L-Certified LX570 with under 45,000 miles and assume to do AHC and P/S, P/B flush on purchase and carry on maintenance from there. There is no doubt the LX will handle 15 years of age and approx 250k of mileage. I will just pay for it in gas. Will add 40 gal aux tank pretty quickly and carry the spare in the cargo area.
Would change either to 18’ rims pretty quickly for ride comfort.
Both vehicles use premium, though the GMC gets noticeably better mpg by all accounts. The money saved on the LX would easily cover the difference over 11 years.
Drove my wife’s ‘23 RX to Tulsa recently and I’m just out on this generation of Toyota/Lexus safety “features”. Can’t turn them off and can’t tell why the car is yelling at me. So that knocks out the LX600 and the Sequoia.
Any further thoughts/input between my two finalists?

Drove my wife’s ‘23 RX to Tulsa recently and I’m just out on this generation of Toyota/Lexus safety “features”. Can’t turn them off and can’t tell why the car is yelling at me. So that knocks out the LX600 and the Sequoia.
Any further thoughts/input between my two finalists?
I would not eliminate the LX600 due to excessive nanny features alone. @MongooseGA

Have you driven a 2016+ 570? IMO they ride better than a 100 after swapping out the atrocious 21s. They also get better gas mileage vs a 100, though not by much.

Have you driven a 2016+ 570? IMO they ride better than a 100 after swapping out the atrocious 21s. They also get better gas mileage vs a 100, though not by much.
Yes, in my previous post a 2020 or 2021 LX570 is one of my finalists.

I would not eliminate the LX600 due to excessive nanny features alone. @MongooseGA

I’ll try these setting adjustments in my wife’s car and see how it reacts. For me, it is an extremely frustrating experience for no reason. When trying to turn right onto a busy street I will press the gas to get my vehicle rolling while a vehicle is passing across my nose, the RX will completely kneecap the throttle so the vehicle does not move. This is one example where I do not even know what the setting is I would like to adjust.
I 💯 understand the chassis on the lx600 is a huge improvement. Also that the motor is much better in terms of power and efficiency. And will even blindly trust that it will do the 200,000 miles I need. Those electronics are my nemesis at this point, and I don’t want to know if the USA 2025 mandates are already in place and just need activation.

Last edited:
Yes, in my previous post a 2020 or 2021 LX570 is one of my finalists.

I’ll try these setting adjustments in my wife’s car and see how it reacts. For me, it is an extremely frustrating experience for no reason. When trying to turn right onto a busy street I will press the gas to get my vehicle rolling while a vehicle is passing across my nose, the RX will completely kneecap the throttle so the vehicle does not move. This is one example where I do not even know what the setting is I would like to adjust.
I 💯 understand the chassis on the lx600 is a huge improvement. Also that the motor is much better in terms of power and efficiency. And will even blindly trust that it will do the 200,000 miles I need. Those electronics are my nemesis at this point, and I don’t want to know if the USA 2025 mandates are already in place and just need activation.
This may be one reason RX drivers are so ****ing awful to be behind.

I am keeping the 600 on the list as well. As my Service Advisor pointed out in 2035 the LX600 will still be available or just the previous generation still with plenty of technicians trained semi-recently and faults well known as well as fixes

For me I chose a 2013 LX570. Comfort and power is a huge step up from my modified ‘98.

Kept the 100.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom