Looking at next vehicle after my hundy. (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While Armada has a lot going for it and might be a great buy, especially with their proven v8 - I wouldn't call all the US made Toyotas crap. My family has owned many US build Toyotas and they have been absolutely trouble free. You can appreciate an Armada without unnecessarily putting down the Toyota.
All sequoias are made in the USA and the quality is not good. When I bought my brand new Tacoma in 2021, I did my own insoection after brining it home. I noticed a heater hose clamp was not mounted correctly just at 7 miles. If I continue to run, the hose might have poped out from the metal tube leaking all coolant and destroying the entire engine. I told my self... stick to made in Japan vehicles.

Armada is fully made in Japan and it is the Nissan Patrol for the rest of the world. I am infact considering buying a 23 Armada sometime soon. I would never pay a dime over MSRP.

Calm down @shane431. As you can see from his sig he owns several Toyota - none of his opinions (and I don't agree with some of them!) disqualify him from being here.
I call BS on this! Show me proof US built Sequoia’s are crap? Why are you even on this forum? Doesn’t Nissan have their own forum? You should spend your time over there. This guy has been posting the same Armada leg humping crap in the 200 series recent price thread.

Look at #18

Or #1

With 30k per of driving you'd almost cut your fuel bill in half with a hybrid. Range cab can also easily be 500+ miles on a tank.
A hybrid doesn't offer him the Vehicle that can do it all - bada$$ winter driving machine that the LC/ LX is.

A hybrid doesn't offer him the Vehicle that can do it all - bada$$ winter driving machine that the LC/ LX is.
Not totally accurate in my experience. Living here in MO as you do, I can say that on snowy streets my 4x4/AWD Toyota SUV is really not much (if any) better than a Subaru (we've had 2 in the past) or our AWD Highlander, and in fact the AWD crossover is easier to control in a slide situation to to a lower CoG. I was honestly disappointed the first time I drove my GX in the snow, it was a downgrade from my old 5MT Subaru due to the intrusive VSC/ATRAC system, even with 3-peak tires. In deep snow (6"+) or snowy trails the 4x4 Toyota of course excels over any crossover, but those conditions are somewhat rare here and probably even more rare in Nashville.

Either way, at 30K miles per year that's nearly $6K in fuel a year at 18 mpg (4x4/SUV) or $3K at 35 mpg (hybrid). Over a 5 year period that's $15K savings in fuel alone, more enough to pay for the the insurance/registration/maintenance of keeping a second vehicle around for truly bad conditions. From a purely financial point, it's very hard to justify that many miles a year for a non-hybrid vehicle, although of course there is the "want" factor (if you want the big SUV and can afford the gas, then yes get it).

While Armada has a lot going for it and might be a great buy, especially with their proven v8 - I wouldn't call all the US made Toyotas crap. My family has owned many US build Toyotas and they have been absolutely trouble free. You can appreciate an Armada without unnecessarily putting down the Toyota.

Calm down @shane431. As you can see from his sig he owns several Toyota - none of his opinions (and I don't agree with some of them!) disqualify him from being here.

You're right. I apologize. I think I was just getting tired on clicking on links in the forum and keep seeing the Armada being promoted. Which I'm sure is a fine vehicle but I don't need to see how great it is in every subsection on Mud.

Not totally accurate in my experience. Living here in MO as you do, I can say that on snowy streets my 4x4/AWD Toyota SUV is really not much (if any) better than a Subaru (we've had 2 in the past) or our AWD Highlander, and in fact the AWD crossover is easier to control in a slide situation to to a lower CoG. I was honestly disappointed the first time I drove my GX in the snow, it was a downgrade from my old 5MT Subaru due to the intrusive VSC/ATRAC system, even with 3-peak tires. In deep snow (6"+) or snowy trails the 4x4 Toyota of course excels over any crossover, but those conditions are somewhat rare here and probably even more rare in Nashville.

Either way, at 30K miles per year that's nearly $6K in fuel a year at 18 mpg (4x4/SUV) or $3K at 35 mpg (hybrid). Over a 5 year period that's $15K savings in fuel alone, more enough to pay for the the insurance/registration/maintenance of keeping a second vehicle around for truly bad conditions. From a purely financial point, it's very hard to justify that many miles a year for a non-hybrid vehicle, although of course there is the "want" factor (if you want the big SUV and can afford the gas, then yes get it).
I’ve owned many vehicles and open to all. Had a built 06 STI that I drove for 9.5yrs and loved. For winter I put the 1” body spacers on and ran tall Blizzaks. I would point out one false assumption: my big miles are not in Nashville area. When I talk about being last one through on road closures I”m talking WY, ID, Etc. when I talk about only one able to get through on freak storms i‘m talking Sierra Nevadas, WV, etc.
I did purchase a 2008 LS600hL (which is a hybrid) to be a secondary vehicle to the hundy. It simply costs too much to run as a primary vehicle (for me anyway). i Have owned eleven Prii, two Camry hybrids as well. I am familiar with running hybrids as all made it past 270k, and one Camry hybrid made it to 425k. And am not against the idea. While I feel they can be good to 300k, not many get past that (though most of mine have) there is a lot going on with them Durability wise at that point. They just are not built the same as LC’s and that is not a knock. Can someone take one to 600k? Sure, but that would be an unusual.
When new OEM parts start being less common I switch them out of primary vehicle status. As stated previously the LC100 is not there yet. I would like to purchase something either new or less than 60,000 miles AND CPO (and that clock is ticking for me on LC200/LX570). A lot of people skip a lot of maintenance items (think trans fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, coolant, etc) that bites you out at 200+k.
I know of Highlander hybrids making it to 300k. The RAV4 hybrids are too new, but I think they can as well.

Last edited:
I've owned dozens of Toyotas, mostly LandCruisers and nearly always high milers which I am the final owner of. I'm not sure my opinion is totally relevant but here are some data points. I currently have a 1999 LX470 and a 2010 Sequoia. I also had a 2002 Sequoia and a 2007 Tundra. The hundy is still the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. It is built better than any of the others. That has less to do with production than design.

I have joked that I wished I had bought a second 100 series and put it away for later. I have looked carefully at the Japanese built Nissans. I think the 2012 and later Infinity QX56 is a Patrol and once again built in Japan. Probably a very good value as a used vehicle. If I could stomach a new car payment I'd look at the new Prado, though. It seems to be 60 series sized and I have very fond memories of that sized vehicle.

Also, to the money side of things. 2020/21 LC200’s are still at original MSRP for low mileage $75-$90k. Sequoias (historically have regularly exceeded 300k) are around $80k. Once you start talking these $, then a new LX600 at $105k isn’t a lot more. Looking at Yukons/Escalades this generation is regularly referred to as “disposable” unfortunately. In the past these were also known durable options. Also $80-$120k. The LX570 are the “bargain” regularly in the $70k-$85k range and falling the quickest of all these. That does not make it the right choice, it is worth noting and factoring.

i keep adding to this post, apologies. If I press the easy button and get a 600 then I’d be looking at a ‘24 or ‘25, no worries since they are brand new and no rush needed other than fitting the budget. Should I choose a 200 (either LX or LC) then I would probably purchase spring of ‘24 (would be very picky) and just sit on it/let wife drive it until it gets pressed into service at a later date and make sure all maintenances are done per Toyota By miles then time. Should wife swipe it then would have to get another 😅. This would make it the most expensive option lol.

(Financial) Plan would adapt to any other option accordingly with other options. Spending this kind of money on any of these options my expectations are just much higher (I am the 5th owner of my LC100 and it was US$10k).

Last edited:
I've owned dozens of Toyotas, mostly LandCruisers and nearly always high milers which I am the final owner of. I'm not sure my opinion is totally relevant but here are some data points. I currently have a 1999 LX470 and a 2010 Sequoia. I also had a 2002 Sequoia and a 2007 Tundra. The hundy is still the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. It is built better than any of the others. That has less to do with production than design.

I have joked that I wished I had bought a second 100 series and put it away for later. I have looked carefully at the Japanese built Nissans. I think the 2012 and later Infinity QX56 is a Patrol and once again built in Japan. Probably a very good value as a used vehicle. If I could stomach a new car payment I'd look at the new Prado, though. It seems to be 60 series sized and I have very fond memories of that sized vehicle.
So right on so many points here. I have a few buddies with both a 100 and a 200 (either LC or LX) and they all say they take the 100 on the long trips because it is more comfortable. I was given a ‘23 GX as a loaner for a week. Wife loved it, but the 100 rode better. The 100 really is tough to beat in many ways which is why I’m starting this thread so far ahead. I’m having great difficulty re-aligning my garage without the 100 as my primary. It has never left me stranded on the side of the road. So comfortable to drive. Able to comfortably handle everything I’ve needed it to, making everything feel so easy. Easily worth the gas $ for what I get out of it.

What makes the 100 more comfortable than the 200?
I would guess the frame, the 100 was the last LC to rock a unique frame. The 200’s started sharing frames with Tundras and Sequoias. Having said that, I bet a final series LX570 swapped to 18’ wheels and tall tires would be there on ride quality. As stated earlier, on this forum the people who have owned both a 570 and a 600 say the 600 is obviously better riding. This is a large part of the draw. And, everyone who has owned all 3 say the exact same thing: if it is within your means then get the 600 and don’t look back.

I am struggling with this as well. My daily driver for the last 22 years has been a 2000 Landcruiser, and my wife has been driving her 2004 LX470 for the last 12 years. They have been awesome with no complaints! In addition to being daily drivers, we used them mainly for hauling kids/dogs, and long trips, but our kids have now moved out and we really don't need that much cargo space, or the off road capability. We have maintained them well over the years with all the normal things, but they are starting to show their age, and I'm starting to have to do bigger repairs...

On the 2000 Landcruiser:
In the past year, I have had to replace my CV axles and upper control arms (shop damaged the arms replacing axles, go figure...), replaced the steering rack (leaking), my windshield is leaking (windshield replaced in 2007, now there is rust around the windshield, I suspect it will be $1,500 to to get that sorted). I have some frame rust on the rear cross member, and that will likely need to be addressed, and my rocker panels are also starting to rust and the paint is suffering as well... At some point, I'm putting a lot of money into a 23 year old vehicle...

On the 2004 LX470:
In the past year, I have had to replace the AC compressor and dryer, and the radiator is starting to seep, and I'm probably due a water pump as well (probably should do the timing belt while I'm in there (it was done a few years ago))...

While they both have been fantastic, and the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned, I'm at a point where I don't trust my wife driving them on long trips by herself...

I will likely sell the LX, and keep the Landcruiser as a spare vehicle. While I think a newer Landcruiser or LX would be fantastic, I can't justify the price tag and the size (for just my wife and I), and we really don't need the ultimate off road capability. I just want something reliable and comfortable, and that I could leave for a long trip without a hesitation.

We have thought about a Subaru, Porsche Cayenne, Lexus GX460, or other. Please don't think I'm hating on the Landcruiser/LX, but with the prices being as high as they are, its hard to ignore some of the other options... Unfortunately, I will compare every future car to my beloved Landcruiser and LX470 from now on...

Lee
2000 Landcruiser
2004 LX470
2000 4Runner (my son's)

Subarus are great, but coming from a LC you'll be disappointed with the NVH, build quality, and reliability. And I'm saying this as someone who had Subarus for 14 years before switching to Toyotas, and miss the AWD handling. They are not in the same league of quality.

Last edited:
If you wanted something brand new and were Ok with something smaller than a LC, I would consider the current generation 4runner - as overpriced and outdated that they are. That platform has been proven well over a decade plus at this point, and purchasing one new now, you know exactly what your getting

Consider some of the smaller Toyota crossovers such as RAV4 or Highlander. You will be surprised how capable they are in almost all road/weather conditions. If looking for something cushier, then perhaps a Lexus RX or the upcoming TX would be more suitable.
If your heart is dead set on LC/LX then the 2024 LC and GX550 will be fantastic vehicles.

I am struggling with this as well. My daily driver for the last 22 years has been a 2000 Landcruiser, and my wife has been driving her 2004 LX470 for the last 12 years. They have been awesome with no complaints! In addition to being daily drivers, we used them mainly for hauling kids/dogs, and long trips, but our kids have now moved out and we really don't need that much cargo space, or the off road capability. We have maintained them well over the years with all the normal things, but they are starting to show their age, and I'm starting to have to do bigger repairs...

On the 2000 Landcruiser:
In the past year, I have had to replace my CV axles and upper control arms (shop damaged the arms replacing axles, go figure...), replaced the steering rack (leaking), my windshield is leaking (windshield replaced in 2007, now there is rust around the windshield, I suspect it will be $1,500 to to get that sorted). I have some frame rust on the rear cross member, and that will likely need to be addressed, and my rocker panels are also starting to rust and the paint is suffering as well... At some point, I'm putting a lot of money into a 23 year old vehicle...

On the 2004 LX470:
In the past year, I have had to replace the AC compressor and dryer, and the radiator is starting to seep, and I'm probably due a water pump as well (probably should do the timing belt while I'm in there (it was done a few years ago))...

While they both have been fantastic, and the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned, I'm at a point where I don't trust my wife driving them on long trips by herself...

I will likely sell the LX, and keep the Landcruiser as a spare vehicle. While I think a newer Landcruiser or LX would be fantastic, I can't justify the price tag and the size (for just my wife and I), and we really don't need the ultimate off road capability. I just want something reliable and comfortable, and that I could leave for a long trip without a hesitation.

We have thought about a Subaru, Porsche Cayenne, Lexus GX460, or other. Please don't think I'm hating on the Landcruiser/LX, but with the prices being as high as they are, its hard to ignore some of the other options... Unfortunately, I will compare every future car to my beloved Landcruiser and LX470 from now on...

Lee
2000 Landcruiser
2004 LX470
2000 4Runner (my son's)
Yes, definitely on same wavelength. I think my days of 30k/yrs are coming to an end and now the question is how much durability do I really need? There is no question in my mind that unibodies ride better and tend to be better handling, lighter, quieter, etc. I can see why you looked at Cayenne as I want at least the same build quality as the hundy. I would like a chance for this next vehicle to last 10-20yrs as well as the hundy has. I don’t trust the electronics of BMW or M-B to pull this off.

If you wanted something brand new and were Ok with something smaller than a LC, I would consider the current generation 4runner - as overpriced and outdated that they are. That platform has been proven well over a decade plus at this point, and purchasing one new now, you know exactly what your getting
I am definitely a proponent of the 4Runner and consider it one of the Prado’s. I would prefer a normally aspirated one to a 4 cylinder hybrid generally speaking. I’ve replaced too many motors in my prii.

Consider some of the smaller Toyota crossovers such as RAV4 or Highlander. You will be surprised how capable they are in almost all road/weather conditions. If looking for something cushier, then perhaps a Lexus RX or the upcoming TX would be more suitable.
If your heart is dead set on LC/LX then the 2024 LC and GX550 will be fantastic vehicles.
I hear exactly what you are saying. I lived in the Sierras in the late 2000’s and am familiar with the sheer durability of RAV4’s at altitude and have great respect for them. Highlanders as well.
I bought my wife a 2023 RX Luxury. Just straightforwardly: my LC100 rides better. This really grates on me. I’m actually worried the TX won’t either. Will test drive.
Open to other vehicles than LC/LX, just struggling with it. If I’m gonna spend that kind of money I do want it built as well or better, ride as well or better, get better mpg, better power (think cruising 80mph up the continental divide without sweat), and do not need any off road ability, just snow covered roads.

Took my 100 in to the dealer today a little early for the 330k service and handling some other stuff. My dealer is part of the AMSI group (good size auto group) and obviously has a Toyota service rep. Asked my service advisor about this issue and how things currently stand: with 2020 LC200’s at original MSRP, markups on TRD Pro Sequoias, make the LX600 look like the deal at this time with no markups. She told me they (this and other dealers) are running into issues with the non-hybrid Tundras and recommended waiting another model year. Whereas the 200/LX570 are proven and just don’t seem to have the same cam tower issues seen in Tundra/sequoias of same generation.
I think the market is changing next year and hopefully some daylight comes around pricing between increased production, maintained interest rates for a while, and the likelihood of oil going up. And the either the 2024 LX has some rolling changes or the 2025 model does.
Been thinking more about my need with this next vehicle, I want it to be great through 2035 and I’m guessing with reduced usage only getting 150-200k miles in that time. I know the LX 570/600 and LC200 will all be great with only this kind of mileage and solid maintenance, I also feel this is well within the Sequoia’s envelope as well. Sequoia 7” longer vs other extra high build quality. 200/570 has zero “power adders” vs 600 has one (turbo) and sequoia has two (turbo and hybrid). All the power adders seem to be aimed at low and mid range helping protect cylinder pressures of the smaller motor. All options get me multiple LATCH positions (two new grandsons this year) improving on the 100’s single LATCH.
Not that it entirely matters but it looks like all have similar overall mpg depending on driving habits. One person here, went from 12.5mpg in his LC200 to 18mpg in his LX600. Not sure if his 200 was lifted or on 35’s or stock, but that big a jump in tank range would be the difference between adding an aux tank or not for me. Overall it seems the 200/570 tends to get about 1-1.5mpg less than the LC100/LX470 where the Sequoia and 600 end up more in the 18-19 mpg range from what I’ve seen on this forum. Swapping my main tank for a 40 gallonLRA has been huge for me, if I go 200/570 I’m just planning on an aux tank. With the Sequoia and 600 I may not have the need.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom