Longer wheel studs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I just put a set of FJ Cruiser steelies on my 1977 FJ40. Had to use spacers to have appropriate back spacing, but the OE wheel studs are just to short for me. I have searched for several hours three separate times with no real answers. I also check FAQ twice for any direction. To no avail. I see that the knurl is .550 and the stock length is 37mm (1.46”). Some suggest the 45mm (1.77”) off of the FJ60 or 62 I can’t remember which now, but I need a solid 1/2” minimum increase for it to be correct. The knurl seems to be my limiting factor, which may need to be fixed by just drilling out my hubs and axle. I know some of you don’t understand why I would even put a wheel that needs a spacer. My apologies ahead of time for that. Thank you all for any part numbers or direction you may have. You guys are the best!!!

Maybe just remove a stud for measurement, take it into your local Napa & get the size you need.

Maybe just remove a stud for measurement, take it into your local Napa & get the size you need.
Doubt that even a good Napa could help you without a VIN, etc.
I might look for my best local brake shop, perhaps one that caters to trucks. One that can turn drums and rotors. They should have the big catalog of wheel studs. The one with the full size drawings of wheel studs. Talk to the oldest guy in the shop.
Also, recalling how Toyota likes to repeat themselves, i might think of talking to a good Toyota parts person.

You might want to check out this site.

I didn't need spacers but needed longer studs because of wheel change. See post #25 in this thread on what I did with the extra length of the studs. I turned down the last 1/2" of threads on the stud and rounded the end to make mounting the wheels easier.

Last edited:
I searched in this forum for Dorman wheel studs. Here is one of the results...

I used Dorman 610-414 for longer studs. No need to drill out the flanges. They just pulled thru with a lugnut and a washer to protect the mounting flange. If you search with this number you'll likely find a couple other alternatives folks have used.
Dormans website has pretty good dimensional info.
20220917_123259.jpg

Last edited:

Doubt that even a good Napa could help you without a VIN, etc.
I might look for my best local brake shop, perhaps one that caters to trucks. One that can turn drums and rotors. They should have the big catalog of wheel studs. The one with the full size drawings of wheel studs. Talk to the oldest guy in the shop.
Also, recalling how Toyota likes to repeat themselves, i might think of talking to a good Toyota parts person.
You don’t need a VIN to buy longer wheel studs. I just walk in, select the needed stud & pay for it.🙈🙉🙈

Wow what great advice! I finally found that Lexus IS300 studs have the same knurl, thread and because people use longer studs for different wheels I was able to get 50mm long studs. Thanks guys for all your help. Could not have figured it out with all your suggestions!!!😁

I used Dorman 610-414 for longer studs. No need to drill out the flanges. They just pulled thru with a lugnut and a washer to protect the mounting flange. If you search with this number you'll likely find a couple other alternatives folks have used.
Dormans website has pretty good dimensional info.
View attachment 3178514
looking at the serrations on the stud--will it go thru the plate enough to effect a good clinch?--seems to be only 1/2 of what the OEM(assuming that is what left pic is)--lot of torque and leverage on these if you are "wheeling" --esp if you have larger wheels.(which the pic indicates)--
Maybe others could chime in, but seems to me these are too short in the locking serrations--

I also agree & would not want to use that new stud. However, while the red 40 is a beauty, I’m thinking it doesn’t get wheeled hard.😊

I had a heck of a time finding the studs I needed for a Suzuki Samurai build I did years ago, but I finally found something suitable. I think I found them on the Doorman website and once I got the number, I bought them at Autozone. Ended up buying a reamer just to open my stud holes just the slightest bit.

Wow what great advice! I finally found that Lexus IS300 studs have the same knurl, thread and because people use longer studs for different wheels I was able to get 50mm long studs. Thanks guys for all your help. Could not have figured it out with all your suggestions!!!😁
Well, please share the details...

Yeah this 40 is currently a cream puff. It's been on the road since spring. Sbc,nv4500,33". If you use the search with 610-414 you come up with 610-265 also. Now search that # too. I believe the stk knurled is 8mm and these are 6.3mm. I think the 265's knurl are 10mm. The Lexus is300 studs seem interesting too. You all have to do your own research and find what your comfortable with.

Last edited:
I'm glad the OP has found studs that work for his needs. Years back I found studs similar to these... I bought them from Toyota direct.
1669535635205.png

They were newer Toyota Landcruiser studs, and it was around '95... +/-1990 Landcruiser.

Another option or use with the longer studs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom