Long Travel Suspension for a 73 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

Hi All,
I have searched the site and the internet looking for anyone who sells or has a long travel suspension on a 70's FJ40, but haven't found much. Have any of you seen this or have it done to your rig? Any pics?
Thanks,
JJ

Mike road edge.jpg
Mike road edge.jpg

That's a great looking rig. On the trail how does it ride? Really hard? I currently run 33X12.50 tires under a 4" lift. I really like the height and the way the center of gravity feels, but it beats us to death. I met a guy with a long travel buggy on the trail with independent front and rear suspension and it got me wondering if anyone has put a set up like that on an FJ40?

Nice 40 Mike! Is that a Moab trail?

Thanks! And yes it is!

Ride? It rides great! Alcan springs completely changed how it handles...its very firm on side hills but yet extremely soft for leaf springs over washboard roads....and handles great on road as well;)

Would only go to coils from here if I were to change.

73fj40lc

SILVER Star
I am running a SUA 4" skyjacker lift and putting on Downey cantivever shackles on my 73. I got my shackles from Jim (Downey) here on Mud after Downey Off Road closed. He had a few sets of shackles left when I got mine. Definatly heavy duty and well made product. You will need extended shock towers for the front if you run long travel suspension. I got ford F250 shock towers from my local Ford dealer for $32.00. Those towers are HD and at a excellent price.

Blue77FJ40

SILVER Star
Treeroot has SUA with massive suspension travel. Cut rear fenders, Metal tech front fenders, and Downey cantilever shackles. Search for his pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom