Long Travel Suspension for a 73 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I have searched the site and the internet looking for anyone who sells or has a long travel suspension on a 70's FJ40, but haven't found much. Have any of you seen this or have it done to your rig? Any pics?
Thanks,
JJ

Mike road edge.jpg
Mike road edge.jpg

Profitts cruisers has a kit for Spring Over Axle or SOA as its known around here. here is there web link.
http://www.proffittscruisers.com/suspensions/spring-over-axle.html

I am going to go SOA but fab it my self and use FJ 55 sprigs for a longer wheelbase and more articulation. At least thats the idea, I haven't done it yet haha

Nice 40 Mike! Is that a Moab trail?

That's a great looking rig. On the trail how does it ride? Really hard? I currently run 33X12.50 tires under a 4" lift. I really like the height and the way the center of gravity feels, but it beats us to death. I met a guy with a long travel buggy on the trail with independent front and rear suspension and it got me wondering if anyone has put a set up like that on an FJ40?

I am running a SUA 4" skyjacker lift and putting on Downey cantivever shackles on my 73. I got my shackles from Jim (Downey) here on Mud after Downey Off Road closed. He had a few sets of shackles left when I got mine. Definatly heavy duty and well made product. You will need extended shock towers for the front if you run long travel suspension. I got ford F250 shock towers from my local Ford dealer for $32.00. Those towers are HD and at a excellent price.

very broad question. tons of different ways to do it.

i run soa, stock shock towers.

you want more droop

search to find tons of stuff

Treeroot has SUA with massive suspension travel. Cut rear fenders, Metal tech front fenders, and Downey cantilever shackles. Search for his pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom