Long term platform choice for me? Would like international capability. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. Hope some with experience might be able to help out.

I was heavily leaning towards a GX470 but the MPG has be concerned.
Whatever platform I build I ultimately would like to use years down the road for true cross-country overlanding and likely in other countries too. I always knew the GX470 had bad MPG but after watching 4Xoverland's Oregon trip using MetalTechs GX470 as his car, he said he got 10MPG which in his mind disqualified the car from being a true overlander as in other countries you might not always be 1-2 hours from civilization like in US.

If you were building out a rig thats going to allow cross country type trips, both US or international - what is the platform you would choose? Obviously with a rig like this reliability is a HUGE factor if not the biggest factor of them all, so in that regard the GX is still a great platform. I do see some jeeps doing it, not sure about the JL yet but even a JKU should get better MPG in the Penta than our GX's.

Let me know your guys thoughts? Would really appreciate it

Boom. Oüverlanding party wagon.

94E04BC7-67CB-42BF-B62E-7047614B690F.jpeg

Simple, reliable, decent-ish mpg, easy to fix and source parts.

Last edited:
HZJ-75. Tons of room, simple mechanical diesel, 5-speed, dual fuel tanks. No electronics, and if well maintained, nothing really to fail on it outside of blowing up the engine, transmission, or differentials through abuse. This would be my first choice for a so-called "overlanding" rig

hzj.jpeg

Last edited:
HZJ-75. Tons of room, simple mechanical diesel, 5-speed, dual fuel tanks. No electronics, and if well maintained, nothing really to fail on it outside of blowing up the engine, transmission, or differentials through abuse. This would be my first choice for a so-called "overlanding" rig

View attachment 2366310

Exactly...there's a reason these are used and abused in Australia....they work, work well and are reliable as all get out. A 1HZ diesel will net you decent fuel mileage 18~20ish.

Once you load that Jeep V6 down, your mileage will plummet. My nephew has a JKU 4 door, lift and 35's and gets 10~12mpg at most, and thats just normal driving, not loaded down expedition.

depends how minimalist you want to/can go, but my beat up ol' '91 pickup with 350k kilometers on it, loaded to the nuts with 2 guys gear for a weekend of camping just gave me 31.2 miles per gallon. or in canukian 7.1L per 100 klicks. it's on 285/75 16's with 4:88s . it's one stoic little mule.

I would think that a diesel would be best, and a solid front axle would be even more HD, but here are three examples that I think would be a good choice.

They also happen to be in the best color! GOLD!

Unfortunately, none of these are readily available inside the USA. However, I think you can import for a period of time to modify, then drive back out or export.

So, that's a possibility. I think @LandCruiserPhil brought one in for testing and sampling for a while. He may be able to offer advise there.

VX80 1997.jpg

VDJ76R-toyota-land-cruiser-5d-gold-2014.png

VDJ79R GOLD 2014.jpg

Exactly...there's a reason these are used and abused in Australia....they work, work well and are reliable as all get out. A 1HZ diesel will net you decent fuel mileage 18~20ish.

Once you load that Jeep V6 down, your mileage will plummet. My nephew has a JKU 4 door, lift and 35's and gets 10~12mpg at most, and that's just normal driving, not loaded down expedition.
Turbo it and put 35s on and you'll get 15 mpg - @Indestructible 47 will confirm this. At that point, a turbo 1FZ isn't much worse :p

Seriously tho, an NA 1HZ is bulletproof, but if you can swing it, 1HD-### gives far better performance, 21 mpg and quite frankly, while I'd advocate changing the BEB as a matter of maintenance, I think it's blown out of proportion a bit. Plenty of 1HDT's out bush here with 700,000 km that are used for what they were built for every day of the week and old mate behind the wheel has never heard of a BEB problem, let alone thought of changing them.

This is what I would do (What I'm going to do......one day......)

96 LX450 Locked - got it
front chromoly axles - got it

No gots:
6bt 12 valve p pump, nv4500, 205 case
extend the frame 20 - 24" basically making similar wheelbase as a 79 that was extended 300mm, popular down under
make it a four door Cab, cut the rear section out, making a 6 ft flatbed in the back
Then the usual canopy kit off the back, but I would stow a dirt bike in the middle section
I've decided on a 1" body lift and no more than a 4" suspension lift on 37's (4.56 maybe) towing a military M1101 trailer

More to follow haha

Best mpg you will get from Diesel engines , even better from turbo engines.
Diesel fuel is also much safer , than gasoline, if trasportate in big quantities.
The top will be a electronic free engine , but with electronic injection you certainly gain in mpg.
As platform goes , much depends on where you want to overland .
Spare parts could become difficult or impossible to source depending where you are .
Also maintance in the long run is an important factor , not always you are able to return home with the vehicle.

I have chosen a Toyota 78 , with HD-T , pop up roof , and triple lockers . Super happy .
But each one has different tastes.

If you're going to get under ten miles per gallon, you'll probably want a 100 gallon fuel tank, and you may as well travel in comfort.
man4x4familyexpeditiontruck33.jpg

Best mpg you will get from Diesel engines , even better from turbo engines.
Diesel fuel is also much safer , than gasoline, if trasportate in big quantities.
The top will be a electronic free engine , but with electronic injection you certainly gain in mpg.
As platform goes , much depends on where you want to overland .
Spare parts could become difficult or impossible to source depending where you are .
Also maintance in the long run is an important factor , not always you are able to return home with the vehicle.

I have chosen a Toyota 78 , with HD-T , pop up roof , and triple lockers . Super happy .
But each one has different tastes.

Not much beats the 78 for International Overland travel. Sure, EURO4X4PARTS will send you parts where ever you are for most cars. I'm getting a 78 in the end of the year :)

New diesel Hilux, 6sp auto or stick, 23.5 mpg on dirt and sand , I got 28.6 at 90mph driving to US.
parts available everywhere except US for body panels, but you can get them from Tijuana Toyota dealer.
Can’t license in US but I run mex plates while it’s up visiting
Stock pic and second one with new Rhino4x4 bumpers , truck has King Suspension and Method wheels
05C9B9E4-E15B-471B-8027-84D199170C75.jpeg
A03478B8-565A-4948-AC61-E0A794BA4789.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom