Builds Live in Texas, drive a pickup: HDJ79 single cab build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In good news, I did replace the support bracket just to the left of the glove box with the correct one that holds the AC amplifier.
See the cute little bracket?

Some days I’ll take even the tiniest win.

IMG_1477.jpeg

@bkcruiser also welded me up a longer steering shaft, so that problem has been fixed.

IMG_1482.jpeg

@bkcruiser also welded me up a longer steering shaft, so that problem has been fixed.

View attachment 3397831
Have you thought about the universal joints on the steering shaft? Every time I drive an 80 with a bit of play in the steering I wonder if it is the gearbox or the u-joints. It just drives me crazy...

Have you thought about the universal joints on the steering shaft? Every time I drive an 80 with a bit of play in the steering I wonder if it is the gearbox or the u-joints. It just drives me crazy...

They are not available separately from the shaft assemblies themselves.

I don’t see that u- joint wearing out 🤷‍♂️

They do. Often.
I have played with them a bit and there are two of them and I do think they add up. Think about how hard people crank on the steering wheel especially at the end of travel and then look how small that u-joint is... I have seen the play with the shafts out of the truck. What I suspect but can't prove is that the two u-joints (I -think- there are two) adds appreciably to a vagueness in the steering.

John,

I have gone back-and-forth about steering shafts and how fancy to get. I’m going to use this one to get running and driving, and eventually build a custom set up much like @c2dfj45 did using a Woodward collapsible column.

John,

I have gone back-and-forth about steering shafts and how fancy to get. I’m going to use this one to get running and driving, and eventually build a custom set up much like @c2dfj45 did using a Woodward collapsible column.
Haven't thought about columns in a LONG time. Seems like a long time ago we were messing with the column.

IMG_1966.jpeg
IMG_1967.jpeg
IMG_1968.jpeg
IMG_1969.jpeg
IMG_1970.jpeg
It’s been a hot minute.

I’ve had a lot of personal changes in the past six months and not a lot of time to work on trucks. But every once in a while, a tiny part number can feel like a huge win.

Here are the under dash evaporator/cowl drainage tubes and corresponding firewall grommet, sourced by Dave Stedman @Japan4X4. God bless you, Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom