Lifter noise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Gents:

Need some help. After initial start up the engine has a small tap that goes away a few seconds after it is running. The noise goes away when it seems that oil gets up from the pan and to the lifters. After the the rig has run the noise returns when the oil comes up to temp.

I have not changed the oil to see if that does the trick (will be this weekend). Next step is to drop the pan if noise continues. I have not done this before so I need to know what I should be looking for or does anyone have some other advise as to the problem?

Thanks in advance
Stacey

All FJ40's are going to have a little valve tap - it's the nature of the design, especially at startup before the oil gets up to the lifters. If you are going to change the oil anyway you might want to go with synthetic - it's supposed to coat the parts and not all just drain down to the pan. If the tapping is excessive - you probably need to have a valve job.

Tucker

I recall they are mechanical lifters and they do make noise. If it is a slight 'tap, tap, tap' I would not worry. Good to get them adjusted at any rate. I am not sure pulling the pan is the way to go, but maybe the valve cover to measure the lash and the side plate for an inspection.

Paul

Forgot to mention, 2F with 17,000 miles on a rebuild at 100,000 miles. Noise is new

Stacey

Get it to operating temp, and check valve lash before you do anything...report back with your findings. Have you retorqued head bolts or adjusted valves since the rebuild?

17k miles is just in time to do a valve adjustment.

Nothing you do with oil pan removed will fix any tap on the top end. Adj the valves. The lifters dont "tap" it is the rocker arm hitting the valve top that "taps"

I adj the lifters at least once a year so 17K is about right.

Adjusting the valve clearance will solve it. As the pushrods and other parts expand with the warm up it takes the clearance out of the valvetrain. I can always tell when my beetle needs the valves adjusted because they are either silent or too loud.

When I did the rebuild I mine, I stillhad a lot of valve noise from a worn rocker shaft.. The head was completely rebuilt and the valves were adjusted properly, yet it still made noise.. I pulled the rocker arm/shaft/assembly and checked for wear, and sure enough that was my tapping noise. I tried to replace the bushings, but that was way more work than I could do myself, and required a machine shop, the shaft on the other hand took 5 mins to replace and 15minutes to get back in the car. Just something to check, but definitely hot adjust your valves before you try any of this.

Mike

[quote author=offcamber40 link=board=1;threadid=8596;start=msg73834#msg73834 date=1071068348]
When I did the rebuild I mine, I stillhad a lot of valve noise from a worn rocker shaft.. The head was completely rebuilt and the valves were adjusted properly, yet it still made noise.. I pulled the rocker arm/shaft/assembly and checked for wear, and sure enough that was my tapping noise. I tried to replace the bushings, but that was way more work than I could do myself, and required a machine shop, the shaft on the other hand took 5 mins to replace and 15minutes to get back in the car. Just something to check, but definitely hot adjust your valves before you try any of this.

Mike
[/quote]

Mike,

Elaborate, please. Where exactly was the noise coing from? You say the rocker arm assembly, but which part? The rod? Bushings?

thanks
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom