Lets see some home made copper spoons! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HandForged

Built Not Bought!
Threads
If you don't know what this is please don't respond. I need to make a new copper backer and was looking for ideas before making a new one.

My local store doesn't, I just wanted to see some magnetic or handheld versions that folks have come up with

For filling holes I suppose.

tmp-cam-5349453924526135654.jpg

I was looking for these the other day. And now im looking for some copper pipe to mash down and “hammer weld” into a spoon but haven’t gotten any yet. I’ll post when I do.

I was looking for these the other day. And now im looking for some copper pipe to mash down and “hammer weld” into a spoon but haven’t gotten any yet. I’ll post when I do.

That's what I usually do. I always have some copper fittings and couplers, I just heat them in the forge and smash them flat and shape to taste when I need it. I usually just hold it with a pair of needle nose vice grips.

I used some copper clad bussbar from some electrical switchgear I demoed, and some copper pipe hammered flat for smaller stuff.

The bussbar was also good to create a solid straight surface to back up to, clamped in place with big vise grips.

I'll see if I have another pic somewhere

20160605_181918.jpg
20160330_194914.jpg

I've seen them made out of some scrap copper sweat pipe, super easy, takes only a few minutes, works well. Search YouTube, I'm sure somebody had a video showing how.

Sorry to be that guy referring to op, but I’m curious as to what these are used for? Just trying to learn on here. I’ve got a lot of body work to do so I’m trying to learn as much as I can from everyone. Also @rkymtnflyfisher did you make that ribbed panel in your picture or did you buy that? I’ve got ribs and floors to do on my lv. Thanks!

Sorry to be that guy referring to op, but I’m curious as to what these are used for? Just trying to learn on here. I’ve got a lot of body work to do so I’m trying to learn as much as I can from everyone. Also @rkymtnflyfisher did you make that ribbed panel in your picture or did you buy that? I’ve got ribs and floors to do on my lv. Thanks!

I had those ribbed patches made by someone, it was kind of a favor. Unfortunately they are no longer available.

The copper backers are used to back up your weld, helps keep the gas where it's supposed to be, helps dissipate heat which warps panels, helps in all sorts of ways.

there's some solid body work info in my build thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom