Leaky Steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody rebuilt a steering box for their 62. mine is leaking like a siv. The cost of a new one makes my butt pucker. I don't trust having mine rebuilt by a moron at a shop here in town. In the FSM it does'nt look hard, but it never works out that way. Any ideas will be helpful.

PS.
Go to Toyota and tell them to sell 78's

try cruiserparts.net
i think they have used, with no leaks for about 150 or so.

If its only leaking at the input shaft seal, its prety easy to fix. If the output shaft, the the whole box could use a rebuild. I've done a couple of input shaft seal replacements. The first one, I removed the whole box from the truck. The second one, I was able to by working in the wheel well. It did take a couple of custom spanner wrenches to set the preload on the endcap.

I got a rebuilt box from TLC a couple of years ago. It sucked. It came with a couple of fitting uninstalled and than failed 1.5 years later (leaking). I had it rebuilt again by Redhead in Seattle. It's been fine for at least 8,000 miles (can't remember exactly how long ago they rebuilt it). Plus now it has a "go fast" red head on it. RedHead Steering Gears, 900 N. 127th, Seattle, WA. (206) 364-3333. They build all kinds of boxes (custom quick ratios...) and they ship.

Unfortunately I don't remember the exact price. Somewhere between a couple hundred and 500 hundred. Sorry, I'll try and find the receit tonight. I only dealt with them once but so far so good. Certainly better than the first rebuilt box I got. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom