Leaky Steering box

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by scubasteve, Nov 11, 2005.

1. scubasteve

scubasteve

Has anybody rebuilt a steering box for their 62. mine is leaking like a siv. The cost of a new one makes my butt pucker. I don't trust having mine rebuilt by a moron at a shop here in town. In the FSM it does'nt look hard, but it never works out that way. Any ideas will be helpful.

PS.
    Go to Toyota and tell them to sell 78's

2. hammer1

hammer1

try cruiserparts.net
    i think they have used, with no leaks for about 150 or so.

3. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

If its only leaking at the input shaft seal, its prety easy to fix. If the output shaft, the the whole box could use a rebuild. I've done a couple of input shaft seal replacements. The first one, I removed the whole box from the truck. The second one, I was able to by working in the wheel well. It did take a couple of custom spanner wrenches to set the preload on the endcap.

4. Moby

Moby

I got a rebuilt box from TLC a couple of years ago. It sucked. It came with a couple of fitting uninstalled and than failed 1.5 years later (leaking). I had it rebuilt again by Redhead in Seattle. It's been fine for at least 8,000 miles (can't remember exactly how long ago they rebuilt it). Plus now it has a "go fast" red head on it. RedHead Steering Gears, 900 N. 127th, Seattle, WA. (206) 364-3333. They build all kinds of boxes (custom quick ratios...) and they ship.

5. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

I need to say go with one rebuild box ..

6. sl33py

sl33py

how much was the rebuild from redhead in seattle? local and sounds like a good shop?!

rob

7. Moby

Moby

Unfortunately I don't remember the exact price. Somewhere between a couple hundred and 500 hundred. Sorry, I'll try and find the receit tonight. I only dealt with them once but so far so good. Certainly better than the first rebuilt box I got. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.