leaking gas from top of tank (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since its going to be hot the next few days I've set mine to vent openly until the charcoal canister can be dealt with. So far no more hissing when removing the gas cap.

no text in reply BILT4ME, any insight?
Sorry, my phone wouldn't let me post.

Tank should be the same.

They can still build pressure and have the crack. Mine did pressure and vacuum until I changed the canister to VC120.

I got my tank from @slow95z and it has been great!

I currently have a tank already pulled, with straps and skid plate, ready to go. I have 3 more in trucks. If anyone needs one let me know.

This really stinks, i'm watching this and feeling like this is another PHH type issue.

I watched JFZ80 battle this for months. He seemed to try every repair and nothing worked until he just swapped out the tank.

This really stinks, i'm watching this and feeling like this is another PHH type issue.

I watched JFZ80 battle this for months. He seemed to try every repair and nothing worked until he just swapped out the tank.

The thing I don't quite understand is where the line that comes out of the rollover valve goes? Is that a return line of some sort? I replaced my valve and just hooked the hose up when I swapped out my tank, but I am not sure where that goes and why it won't allow any pressure to escape?

You have the one hard line that goes to the fuel filter, another hard line that goes to the charcoal canister. What is the third hard line that comes out of the rollover valve connected to?

Last edited:
I really hope my tank doesn't develop a leak, but if it does i would assume that's the perfect time to upgrade to a long ranger tank!

Third hardline IS fuel return. Hoopla up to fuel trail just downstream from the pressure regulator. Fuel enters rail at firewall end from filter.

Well, add another FJ80 owner with cracked fuel tank to the list.

I had this exact issue late last year on my '95.
I wanted a larger aftermarket tank, but couldn't find squat on the interweb... So, went with the dealer's tank, and a local guy to do the drop/install as I have nowhere to dispose/store the gas.
The install on that went badly, with the seal around the fuel pump assembly not seating correctly. Of course, this made gas leak; and from underneath, it looked like it was coming from the same place.
Thinking the tank was leaking from yet another crack in the same place, it went in to the stealership as I should be able to replace the tank under warranty (for parts; labor would be out-of-pocket). They found the badly placed seal and did the fix. I would have called BS, but they did give photo evidence.
Fine.
I forked out the cash for the install, and new seals.

Except...
Now, the new tank is leaking AGAIN! And this time, it is absolutely from a cracked tank and I took pictures. It's not too bad to climb underneath, and stick your head/a camera up in there to see what's going on.
Waiting to hear back from them on this new development...

DSC03364.JPG

DSC03380.JPG
DSC03372.JPG
DSC03362.JPG

I had this exact issue late last year on my '95.
I wanted a larger aftermarket tank, but couldn't find squat on the interweb... So, went with the dealer's tank, and a local guy to do the drop/install as I have nowhere to dispose/store the gas.
The install on that went badly, with the seal around the fuel pump assembly not seating correctly. Of course, this made gas leak; and from underneath, it looked like it was coming from the same place.
Thinking the tank was leaking from yet another crack in the same place, it went in to the stealership as I should be able to replace the tank under warranty (for parts; labor would be out-of-pocket). They found the badly placed seal and did the fix. I would have called BS, but they did give photo evidence.
Fine.
I forked out the cash for the install, and new seals.

Except...
Now, the new tank is leaking AGAIN! And this time, it is absolutely from a cracked tank and I took pictures. It's not too bad to climb underneath, and stick your head/a camera up in there to see what's going on.
Waiting to hear back from them on this new development...

View attachment 1926409

View attachment 1926404View attachment 1926405View attachment 1926406
You need to change your charcoal canister also. Use the VC120 from aftermarket parts store.

You could also get a used tank from @slow95z if you ned yet another.

What the dealership gave you there was NOT a new tank.

i do have a few used tanks left. they arent that hard to put in.

You need to change your charcoal canister also. Use the VC120 from aftermarket parts store.

You could also get a used tank from @slow95z if you ned yet another.

What the dealership gave you there was NOT a new tank.
Interesting; thanks for the heads up!
I'm not sure where the dealership would have gotten a used tank, as I did take the old, cracked one home with me.

As to the charcoal canister: definitely. At one point, they tried to blame the smell of gas on cracked hoses from the evaporative control system leaking "vapor" (those going into/out of the charcoal canister, from the tank, etc). I do know that the ethanol in gas now can indeed be really hard on them; so that's a work in progress as I track pieces down.(gotta throw a thanks out there to cruiserparts.net ).
After looking into your suggestion, the charcoal canister is definitely on the list of things to go in.

i do have a few used tanks left. they arent that hard to put in.
Thanks! I may well take you up on that.
Not sure what the shipping is from Georgia (where I assume you're at?) up to central Ohio, but if the dealership tries to charge me for another tank (grr....) I will get in touch with you.
As mentioned, I'd like to try to go with a Long Ranger or other after-market larger capacity tank; but they're rarer than hen's teeth anymore. :-/

As mentioned, I'd like to try to go with a Long Ranger or other after-market larger capacity tank; but they're rarer than hen's teeth anymore. :-/

Readily available now. I'm in the same boat and wanting to get a longer range tank.
Planning on an extended tank, turbo kit, etc :steer:

Cruiser Brothers LRA Post

I know our trucks are older now but man Mr. T has to hear about this because what are they going to say if someone ends up blowing up and people die because of a tank failure that is not a single incident?!

That tank looks like it was wrapped or there was a spray liner applied to it.

I know our trucks are older now but man Mr. T has to hear about this because what are they going to say if someone ends up blowing up and people die because of a tank failure that is not a single incident?!

If you are serious about this AND you have had this happen to YOUR vehicle you should file a complaint with NHTSA.

Anyone with a genuine first person issue should do so. That is one way to get the pressure up (so to speak) for some sort of action from the manufacturer.
Shouts from spectators on Internet forums don't work.

I wasn't trying to yell fire in the movie theater, just that with the routing of the exhaust and gas possibly splashing on it, I could see a possibility of a fire. And, this thread keeps growing with more and more tank issues. Starting to look a little suspicious.

I'm currently knocking on wood.

If you are serious about this AND you have had this happen to YOUR vehicle you should file a complaint with NHTSA.

Anyone with a genuine first person issue should do so. That is one way to get the pressure up (so to speak) for some sort of action from the manufacturer.
Shouts from spectators on Internet forums don't work.
Absolutely.
If we don't voice something outside the forum here, no action will be taken.

If you've had this issue as well, PLEASE submit your complaint with SAFERCAR.GOV
It takes maybe 5 minutes, and photos can be uploaded. If enough people voice their experience with this, we should be able to get a proper investigation launched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom