Leaking 3rd member, blown out bushings, ground birf... How Fun! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You need to look inside the spindle, there’s a brass or needle bearing that keep the axle/birfild centered.

IMG_6669.jpg

Is the bell cracked where i circles it in red? If it's cracked, it's days are numbered.

If not cracked, the blue spots are normal.
De-burr any minor damage with a file. Same where the knuckle is damaged, but be careful not to file where the bearing sits

My concern is how did the birfild move up to make that contact.

Look like you might be O.K.
The birf can cleaned up with a file on the outer edge to remove any pieces that are loose or will easily fall away.
The knuckle: the abraded area doesn't look like it penetrated the bearing seat surface. If that's the case, just press in new bearings and rebuild as normal. If the bearing seat area was chewed away, you'll probably want a new axel.
The other thing to look at is the ABS sensor and ring. With the birf pushed off center, the censor ring may have chewed on the ABS sensor ring.
Fortunately both as good. So I'll hold off on a new axle for now hahaha. Thank you again for the help!

Update for the day. My old man (another 80 lover) and I tore down the truck today. Will begin piecing it back together this coming week. So far so good, went slow as it was both of our first times.

All and all not too bad, just tedious.

Taking the 3rd member out was fun, definitely heavy, but manageable. New 8" gasket, and hopefully it won't have any problems.

View attachment 3573175

Is the bell cracked where i circles it in red? If it's cracked, it's days are numbered.

De-burr any minor damage with a file. Same where the knuckle is damaged, but be careful not to file where the bearing sits
Damn good eye! I will inspect that tonight and might be ordering a new passenger CV.

Damn good eye! I will inspect that tonight and might be ordering a new passenger CV.
I would replace them as a set you don't want to end up going back in there any time soon.

Bad wheel bearing? I had them replaced thru a shop under 2k miles ago. That would be my guess.
Nope, wheel bearing rides on the spindle.
Axle/birfild rides inside the spindle.
The bearing on the in side of the spindle and the drive flange are what keep the short shaft / birfild centered.
I would take a good look at the drive flanges also.

Nope, wheel bearing rides on the spindle.
Axle/birfild rides inside the spindle.
The bearing on the in side of the spindle and the drive flange are what keep the short shaft / birfild centered.
I would take a good look at the drive flanges also.
a new 43211R and would do the trick. might as well get two and replace both sides. Trucks got 197k miles.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 2.33.48 PM.png

I would replace them as a set you don't want to end up going back in there any time soon.

No. The spots are 100% normal, and will be visible on a brand new birf

Well found my culprit. Can't mistake which one came off the passenger side haha. have yet to find a good solution to get these out. But going to order two and get them both replaced.

Would y'all run the needle bearings/brass or just brass?

I might just go solid brass. I just pulled out the needle bearing in my 2014 Tacoma a couple of months ago. The needle bearing in the taco is notorious for failing but after a while...

IMG_6678.jpeg

IMG_6677.jpeg

Well found my culprit. Can't mistake which one came off the passenger side haha. have yet to find a good solution to get these out. But going to order two and get them both replaced.

Would y'all run the needle bearings/brass or just brass?

I might just go solid brass. I just pulled out the needle bearing in my 2014 Tacoma a couple of months ago. The needle bearing in the taco is notorious for failing but after a while...

View attachment 3574141

View attachment 3574142

Depends, I’m not a fan of needle bearings either and if you conduct proper maintenance brass should last practically forever. When I rebuild my axles I elected to stick with the solid brass. I have spare needle bearings and shallow brass that I can sell you as they will just collect dust. The video you posted shows how to remove them.

Depends, I’m not a fan of needle bearings either and if you conduct proper maintenance brass should last practically forever. When I rebuild my axles I elected to stick with the solid brass. I have spare needle bearings and shallow brass that I can sell you as they will just collect dust.
It would feel silly for me to put needle bearings in after just opting to put a solid ECGS bushing into my Tacoma. I'm cheap atm, how much would you like? I'm seeing OEM solid bushings on cruiser outfitters for $50-100 and aftermarket in the $15 range. I elect for OEM.

IMG_6074.jpeg

time to source...

SST 09612−65014
and
SST 09618−60010

Might cave and try and find a machine shop near me when new parts come in.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 9.01.51 PM.png

View attachment 3573175

Good news, that was just a strand of a toothbrush I was using to clean parts (why it's black)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom