Leaking 3rd member, blown out bushings, ground birf... How Fun! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well found my culprit. Can't mistake which one came off the passenger side haha. have yet to find a good solution to get these out. But going to order two and get them both replaced.

Would y'all run the needle bearings/brass or just brass?

I might just go solid brass. I just pulled out the needle bearing in my 2014 Tacoma a couple of months ago. The needle bearing in the taco is notorious for failing but after a while...

View attachment 3574141

View attachment 3574142
😲

How does the bearing side look ?

If there's any sign of the bearings spinning on the spindle I would replace the spindle. They come with the bearing installed, You choose what kind you want Brass or needle.

😲

If there's any sign of the bearings spinning on the spindle I would replace the spindle. They come with the bearing installed, You choose what kind you want Brass or needle.
Ya I saw new spindles w/ bearings (either solid brass or bearing) for $150ish. Might just do that

😲

The best way to check would be to try and get the brass bushing to spin under little power? It shouldn't be able to spin at all if I'm not mistaken.

The best way to check would be to try and get the brass bushing to spin under little power? It shouldn't be able to spin at all if I'm not mistaken.
I guess I wasn't clear :rolleyes:
On the other side where the wheeling bearing go, it's common for the bearing to spin on the spindle you would be able to see that. if you can catch you finger nail on it it need to be replaced for sure.
Post another picture.

On the other side where the wheeling bearing go, it's common for the bearing to spin on the spindle you would be able to see that. if you can catch you finger nail on it it need to be replaced for sure.
Post another picture.
roger that, makes sense. Ill get em cleaned up and post some more later. Thanks!

Just so you know what you’re looking for, one of mine was toast from lose preload and one was fine. Hope this helps.

IMG_3908.jpeg

IMG_3911.jpeg

This one was shot, you can see the grooves where the wheel bearing rides.

Reactions: ppc
Just so you know what you’re looking for, one of mine was toast from lose preload and one was fine. Hope this helps.

View attachment 3574534

View attachment 3574535
This one was shot, you can see the grooves where the wheel bearing rides.
Post another picture.
Driver side is without the CV axle. Passenger has CV axle poking out. Driver looks like it has minimal wear but slight groove. Passenger is toasted by y'all's info. Time to get 2 new spindles w/ bearings. Thanks gents, y'all rock!

IMG_6683.jpeg

IMG_6684.jpeg

IMG_6685.jpeg

Glad I could help !

You will be happier in the long run knowing it 's all fresh 😜

FWIW when I replaced mine I went with Needle bearing :cool:

Glad I could help !

You will be happier in the long run knowing it 's all fresh 😜

FWIW when I replaced mine I went with Needle bearing :cool:
Okay so now I'm pretty pissed. I just paid a shop 2k miles ago to do wheel bearings on both sides. They are an import shop that deals with a lot of JDM. They should have caught these spindles. They damn well should have caught the non OEM bolts holding the passenger steering arm. I'm glad they didn't, bc I wanted to learn more about the truck and they would have charged $1600 for this rebuild.

Lesson learned. Got the FSM and enough ignorance to tackle this stuff with y'alls help.

Okay so now I'm pretty pissed. I just paid a shop 2k miles ago to do wheel bearings on both sides. They are an import shop that deals with a lot of JDM. They should have caught these spindles. They damn well should have caught the non OEM bolts holding the passenger steering arm. I'm glad they didn't, bc I wanted to learn more about the truck and they would have charged $1600 for this rebuild.

Lesson learned. Got the FSM and enough ignorance to tackle this stuff with y'alls help.
This is why we all do our own work, Yes they should have caught the spindles and they probably did but to put new spindles on would have tied up one of the lifts/bays for a day or two waiting for parts to come in. and one of the reasons a lot of shops won't work on old imports.

If it's not a Cruiser Shop they probably don't know a knuckle bolt from a stud :rolleyes:

It's really a nice piece of mind to know that you did the work and it's done right. It nicer to know if you have a issue on the trail that you can work on it.

If the bearing only have 2k miles on them I would reuse them (clean and repack) unless you see some kind of damage.

This is why we all do our own work, Yes they should have caught the spindles and they probably did but to put new spindles on would have tied up one of the lifts/bays for a day or two waiting for parts to come in. and one of the reasons a lot of shops won't work on old imports.

If it's not a Cruiser Shop they probably don't know a knuckle bolt from a stud :rolleyes:

It's really a nice piece of mind to know that you did the work and it's done right. It nicer to know if you have a issue on the trail that you can work on it.

If the bearing only have 2k miles on them I would reuse them (clean and repack) unless you see some kind of damage.
They work on Prados, 40s 60s 80s 100s, RHD's you name it, even have a few mega cruisers on the lot. Overall, not going to chew them out. I think the tech just wasn't experienced enough to know. But I will not be sending any more business their way.

When my wife and I bought this cruiser, PO had put J-rated springs on, she's got a 3 1/4" lift. I got an alignment from them and they thought it was fine and dandy to send me on my way is -4* of castor. The cruiser wouldn't steer straight on the highway at anything over 45 mph! For a temp fix, I installed Ironman's radius arm drop bracket. Eventually will get delta arms or pull out the lift.

Live and learn I suppose...

They work on Prados, 40s 60s 80s 100s, RHD's you name it, even have a few mega cruisers on the lot. Overall, not going to chew them out. I think the tech just wasn't experienced enough to know. But I will not be sending any more business their way.

When my wife and I bought this cruiser, PO had put J-rated springs on, she's got a 3 1/4" lift. I got an alignment from them and they thought it was fine and dandy to send me on my way is -4* of castor. The cruiser wouldn't steer straight on the highway at anything over 45 mph! For a temp fix, I installed Ironman's radius arm drop bracket. Eventually will get delta arms or pull out the lift.

Live and learn I suppose...

Huge number of us here have similar first cruiser experiences.
A lot of us become somewhat competent mechanics through necessity out of frustration with the failures of paid mechanics, the lack of knowledge that so called experts and suppliers actually have, and through trial and error.

There's satisfaction in doing repairs yourself, comfort in knowing your vehicle inside and out.

But there's a cost to doing stuff yourself too.
For me, my cruisers have all had lengthy chunks of down time. I've had some expensive failures, partly through mistakes, partly through just lack of experience.

Well gents, two 9 hour days later, she is back on her feet. Very happy to have her back together, my wife needs her cruiser back!

Daunting... Nah. Impossible... Nah.
Tedious... Very tedious!

New spindles, not knuckle studs on both sides (driver was loose) Red Loctite to keep them in this time around.
all new seals, the works.

My final mistake of the night was mixing 2 bottles of 80w-90 with 1 of 75w-90 so I'll do a drain and fill again here soon.

Thank you all very much for the help. Very thankful for the community!

Good work! I'd ask the more experienced people here, but I personally wouldn't be concerned about those two gear oil weights being mixed and would just run with it until you need to service it next.

The Gear oil well be fine ;)

Had a feeling that it would be fine. my tired eyes got the best of that situation!

The first test drive was a success. I'm sure y'all know that rewarding feeling of your first knuckle rebuild!

Thanks again gents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom