LC100 cold air intake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The idea of cool air intake itself is incorrect as the engine is warmer than outside.

I never settle for anything other than OEM parts (or do it twice). Those oil filled filters will clog all pores within a matter of days if you drive on a dirt roads, then the engine receives less air. Oil can contaminate the MAF sensor too.
Well the first part of this is not accurate. Cold air contains more oxygen and will combust better and that's a fact but it's just not necessary on this particular engine.

Agreed on second part of that statement.

It's a cruiser people, keep it OEM and stop making it less of a land cruiser.

Why change what has worked very well, for billions of miles "Collectively speaking". Which is the factory design! The exception being a snorkeler.

Personally, I do not like seeing any of these after-market cool air system on the 100 series 4.7L. For that matter, even the filters that claim additional HP gain. Which allow more air into intake manifold, at shake of filtration. Which is not good for health of cylinder walls and rings. OEM filter is best deal IMHO.

I've one in shop today. Fuel trimsView attachment 3180964 will not come inline. Why? WTFK, as it's gone down this rabbit hole!

View attachment 3180963
Another thing I see in some with some open air filter design. The filters get water-logged, starving intake of air in the rain.
View attachment 3180961
Might be related to whatever is going on with the electrical tape on the MAF electrical connector and the tubing going to the soda bottle?! Looks pretty crappy!

Might be related to whatever is going on with the electrical tape on the MAF electrical connector and the tubing going to the soda bottle?! Looks pretty crappy!
Very likely.

Soda bottle, is just a catch for AT return line fluid from PS reservoir, I just flushed. I've the PS reservoir in my sonic cleaner, as I replace the rack & pinion and PS hoses.

But why, what do you expect to accomplish? The 2UZ pulls air from way back inside the fender, it's not like it's pulling hot engine bay air in. You will have no note worthy performance gains and you will most likely take a really good air filtration system and make it worse.

If you want less dust ingestion then a snorkel make sense but even that seems like a waste. I drive in constant dust clouds all summer long up here and I have no issues with stock filter setup.
Because a stock air intake was not available at the same price and it cleans up the engine bay.

Because a stock air intake was not available at the same price and it cleans up the engine bay.
Was referring to the person who started this thread not your comments. Then I realized he's in Dubai and might have legitimate reasons for wanting a different style intake.

Why change what has worked very well, for billions of miles "Collectively speaking". Which is the factory design! The exception being a snorkeler.

Personally, I do not like seeing any of these after-market cool air system on the 100 series 4.7L. For that matter, even the filters that claim additional HP gain. Which allow more air into intake manifold, at shake of filtration. Which is not good for health of cylinder walls and rings. OEM filter is best deal IMHO.

I've one in shop today. Fuel trimsView attachment 3180964 will not come inline. Why? WTFK, as it's gone down this rabbit hole!

View attachment 3180963
Another thing I see in some with some open air filter design. The filters get water-logged, starving intake of air in the rain.
PresentView attachment 3180961
Just got done working a similar issue on our C7 Corvette. A supposedly "drop-in" no-tune air filter from a popular vendor was causing the LTFT to go 15% positive all the time. The MAF on the Vette is close to the filter, like an LC. The MAF didn't like the extra air flow and was dumping in fuel to adjust for what it thought was a lean condition. Put a stock air box and filter back in and I'm betting it will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom