LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello folks, i am about to hop on board with this. I found the radio here on this site

Couple questions, i have an iphone, do i need to buy the Carplay USB Dongle to be able to have apple car play work, is it built in or i need to buy that thing? The one thing i hate the most is static noise is that present with these units? I bought something for my 2001 LC awhile back and the buzzing was killing me i threw it out.

you don’t need the dongle, the PX6 has the wireless CarPlay built in to my knowledge. I ordered mine with it and it works without it. I have some buzzing that I need to tune out of my amp but I haven’t gotten around to adjusting it with the seat in place. Note I have a aftermarket amp so your factory amp might be different

Is that website a good source to buy from? Looks like they're based out of CA per their "Contact Us" button.

There is also this one from another thread:

Other thread -> New Tesla screen

I have no experience with either unit, but noticed that the physical buttons at the bottom of this one are different (AC controls vs. the factory style controls).

SOOOOO what I am gathering is I cant put one of these in my 2001 Lx470 as it wont control everything, so its pointless.

SOOOOO what I am gathering is I cant put one of these in my 2001 Lx470 as it wont control everything, so its pointless.
I don't think that blanket statement is true. You may need additional isolation here and there to ensure spurious signals don't affect other signals. This is not uncommon with custom wiring ganging together electronics that were not tested together as a subsystem.

has anyone seed the resource on XDA Dev forum?

havent had the chance to look through it, but
here it is

I'm half way through the installation of a PX6 in my -05 HDJ100 - just preparing some future wiring into the glovebox before I start the dreaded stuffing of cables.
The installation guide and the input from people here has been very valuable, so a big thanks to everyone who's chimed in on the forums with questions and answers.
I did scratch my head with the cabling at first, but it is really just a matter of connecting the connectors that fit.
I haven't noticed any issues but I have only tested it with the gut open. I ordered three weeks ago from Aliexpress "Autostereo store" (store # 1965026) and it took them only 3 days to ship, 3 days shipping to Norway. DHL fcked up the delivery locally again and sat on the package for 10 days, but that's a different story. The Aliexpress seller contacted me to check if I had whatsapp - in case I needed support.

Finally, I have a few questions about the signal cables in the wiring harness. I've tested a little tonight and they really confuse me. Maybe some of them need to be activated in the unit somehow? Maybe some of them are inputs not outputs?

These are the single cables labeled:
"Back" - zero volts regardless what I do, ignition off, acc on, car running, gearbox in reverse.
"Amp" - I assume this is for amplifier on. Also zero volts regardless what I did.
"Brake" - 3.3 volts regardless what I do. Maybe it goes to zero after some time.
"IG" - I thought this could be an ignition signal output. Zero volts regardless what I do.
"Airbag open" and "Airbag closing" - I didn't test these, what are they for?

Then theres the "Aux in left/right" and "Camera" on the main harness. What are these compared to the dedicated plug with all the video and sound in and outputs?

Oh, I wired up the external mic but people said the sound was worse with it. Almost like the signal was amplified too much.

I STRONGLY suggest avoiding Rhino...

They are non responsive and will give you the runaround until you cannot claim your credit card.

Once the window closes... You'll never hear from them again.

This is very similar to my experience buying off AliExpress (the story is somewhere earlier in this thread). Basically, they convinced me to drop my PayPal dispute, only to find out that it was just a trick, leaving me with no recourse. Buy from a company with American customer service, or you're pretty much on your own. Unfortunately, it looks like we both learned that the hard way. I ended up paying for two units just to get one that worked, and I never got the refund for the one that didn't.
Same issue here, they told me that I would get support after a holiday and then after an engineer's returning, only to find that I was outside the dispute window and Ali would do nothing for me. Avoid Ali!

Hello all,

Amazing thread regarding the tesla style unit, thanks for a lot of good insight. I have gone through this thread and some others but couldn't really get a clear understanding if someone has tried to install this on the older than 2003 models?

I'm new to this forum and i own a Land Cruiser 100 2001 (50th anniversary edition). I'm once in a while hearing an extremely annoying buzzing sound that seems to be coming from the stock nav unit, and i'm wondering if i should go for a tesla style upgrade at some point as i believe it might be even cheaper than trying to find a new / used stock unit.

Appreciate any comments on the topic.

Did you ever end up finding a new system? Mine is an 02 LX470 and the dash looks just like yours. I have done considerable digging and cannot find any compatible Tesla Style units. At least that is what they tell me. I would take anything really that would allow me to still control my HVAC and get Apple Car play at the same time. I kind of feel like if some engineer/technician worked on it and just designed the right harnesses, they could make it work. But haven't found that yet either. Thanks.

Did you ever end up finding a new system? Mine is an 02 LX470 and the dash looks just like yours. I have done considerable digging and cannot find any compatible Tesla Style units. At least that is what they tell me. I would take anything really that would allow me to still control my HVAC and get Apple Car play at the same time. I kind of feel like if some engineer/technician worked on it and just designed the right harnesses, they could make it work. But haven't found that yet either. Thanks.

folliwing as I have same model/year

Update:
I contacted four AliExpress Teslastyle sellers (maybe ZhiFang wholesale resllers using their own brand names?). Knowledge is power.. I'm trying to see the good in all this bad news.
Dch Store conversation
123auto Store conversation
Autostereo Store conversation
Peng GPS Store conversation

Then I went to to the source. I contacted Zhifang directly via WeChat. I had a a conversation with their representative Dora, and she shared some hopeful news with me. Then I gave her the link to this thread and asked her to pass it on to the ZhiFang CEO and engineers.

ZhiFang conversation

ZDash - I have the same model LX (2002 Nav+HVAC touchscreen) as you. And your post was beautiful. I just wish I would have found it before spending the last few days researching. I received similar messages from pretty much the same stores you contacted. I am interested to hear if you heard more from ZhiFang, or if you have made any progress at all. Thanks.

After just reviewing all 27 pages of this thread, I also just picked up on the Nav removal workaround. That may be an option I guess.

If anyone needs a Tesla screen for a LX I have mine for sale for $300 shipped. Works great just couldn’t figure out the mic and the wireless CarPlay works just doesn’t always connect every time (connects 8 out of 10 times). Shoot me a DM. Still has the factory screen protectors and on it.

Just got my PX6 today. The unit came with 2 AC harnesses. LC100 low configuration air conditioner adapter, and the other, LC100 High Configuration air conditioner adapter. Does anyone know which one I'm supposed to use in my 2005 LX470? The low configuration harness was the one plugged into the CAN BUS decoder out the box. Thanks.

118579281_10105778961856168_8735222789457961996_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom