LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions

Thanks for the help! Any thoughts on where is a good spot to attach the red wire to pickup the reverse signal??

I too have a mic with a mini-jack hookup but, as soon as I plug it in, it doesn't work. Unplug it and the built-in mic activates (and works). But people tell me I dont sound very good. Im hoping to get the external mic working...not sure if it needs to be turned-on somehow.
If I remember right, I have mine connected to the driver side reverse light wire so it only activates when reversing (called the trigger wire I think). There should be another wire for power, then the RCA to the camera. Up front, you should have an RCA to connect to the unit, then another wire to connect to one that should say "Reverse" on it. I would rig up the connections and test before soldering, etc.

As to the mic, I think there is a setting to "activate" it. It may have been already set from the factory for me, but not on yours. I'll take a look to see if it exists or not.

If I remember right, I have mine connected to the driver side reverse light wire so it only activates when reversing (called the trigger wire I think). There should be another wire for power, then the RCA to the camera. Up front, you should have an RCA to connect to the unit, then another wire to connect to one that should say "Reverse" on it. I would rig up the connections and test before soldering, etc.

As to the mic, I think there is a setting to "activate" it. It may have been already set from the factory for me, but not on yours. I'll take a look to see if it exists or not.

This is a HUGE help!!! If you can indeed check on the mic setting...it would be greatly appreciated!!

Yes, I was able to to update bootlogo after installing custom firmware from Sergey Kozlov.

Facebook group - Tesla Style. Firmware and HeadUnits
Cost $100
Firmware updates and MCU updates (fixes all the bugs, volume spikes after bluetooth calls, HVAC not lighting up when car starts, ambient temp showing Celsius)
Updates all pictures to show Land Cruiser and LX470 for gyro scope and HVAC.

Additional features can also control HVAC with steering wheel controls.

Anyone else head unit not connect to car play randomly? Over the weekend on our trip I had to use the reset button 5-8 times to shut it down and restart to connect to CarPlay.
I’m also still having issues with the mic, can’t for the life of me figure out how to make it work. Is there settings that need to be tweaked?

I just did the firmware update in the Facebook group above. Super helpful guy, walked me through some install difficulty I had via messenger. Haven’t had a ton of time to dig into the upgrades, but the boot logo and themes are pretty much enough to justify it by themselves.

Anyone else head unit not connect to car play randomly? Over the weekend on our trip I had to use the reset button 5-8 times to shut it down and restart to connect to CarPlay.
I’m also still having issues with the mic, can’t for the life of me figure out how to make it work. Is there settings that need to be tweaked?
I have to regularly go into settings on carplay and toggle the “automatically connect” option off then on. That usually gets it to reconnect

I just had this installed at Car Toys. The unit works great, but they weren't able to get rid of some high pitched ringing. I thought there was a fix of adjusting amp levels within the settings, but haven't been able to locate it.
Can anyone help me this ringing is driving me batty

What type of clips have you fellas used to keep the HVAC vents in place? Mine dont grab on to the tesla screen bracket...they keep popping out. Thoughts?

What type of clips have you fellas used to keep the HVAC vents in place? Mine dont grab on to the tesla screen bracket...they keep popping out. Thoughts?
I used the little yellow ones that were on the original vents. They don't seem to fit perfectly but mostly keep the vents in place.

On an unrelated note, I was looking into the possibility of running TorquePro or some similar OBD app on this thing. Based on the FB group it looks like it's possible using either a Wifi OBD dongle, or a OBD-USB cable. That got me thinking, I already bought a J2534 OBD-USB cable for Techstream. I wonder if it will work with one of these apps. Will test tonight and report back.

Update: does not work. I think there is a different communication protocol. Will try an ELM327 cable at some point soon.

For all the users who are working through the problems these units seem to have I ask, Would you do it again knowing what you know now? Assume you are not a tech genius!

Totally, my initial install was fairly painless, now I’m just adding net new features. I love how more features are adding over time.

If anyone is looking for a unit, DM me offline. Have one that came with the 2006 I bought. The PO tried to install it but didn't get far and backed off and included it in the sale. ZF-1301S and I have no plans to install it.

Last edited:
I just had this installed at Car Toys. The unit works great, but they weren't able to get rid of some high pitched ringing. I thought there was a fix of adjusting amp levels within the settings, but haven't been able to locate it.
Can anyone help me this ringing is driving me batty
Grounding issues can cause the noise you describe. If it changes with the RPM of the alternator/engine then you can assume that a common grounding point was used for the headhunt. This can introduce a ground loop causing EMI "noise" to be picked up by audio signal cables which are in turn amplified and played through your speakers. Ensure that signal cables have adequate shielding, wiring is done correctly and is properly isolated from other electronics, and if necessary have a ground fault interruptor installed to filter the EMI noise.

Grounding issues can cause the noise you describe. If it changes with the RPM of the alternator/engine then you can assume that a common grounding point was used for the headhunt. This can introduce a ground loop causing EMI "noise" to be picked up by audio signal cables which are in turn amplified and played through your speakers. Ensure that signal cables have adequate shielding, wiring is done correctly and is properly isolated from other electronics, and if necessary have a ground fault interruptor installed to filter the EMI noise.
Just realized it only happens when the hvac is on

Anyone know how to make the Mic work? I don’t see the setting that changes the Mic option. Damn thing is glitchy as hell and every 2-5 restarts it doesn’t want to connect to my phone. Stupid android

Top Bottom