Land Cruiser or 4Runner seat count (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am going to be in the market to pick up a ready to go or close to ready to go crawler/trail machine to primarily use in the Silverton/Ouray CO area and Moab. My neighbor has a N60 series 4Runner fully built with 1 tons and 37's, etc, etc and got me hooked. Last year I got to take my brothers Jeep YJ and drive the San Juan's for myself and that pretty much put the nail in the coffin of what I want to do every year until I die. Now my problem, I currently have 7 kids. 3 bio and 4 foster, but those 4 I am 100% sure I will be adopting as long as court goes in our favor. Now the oldest one will be going to college soon so he wont always be around so I am not looking for a suburban so I can fit everyone in there. I dont even think I could get a suburban down black bear pass. With my neighbor already having a sweet yoda, I started looking obviously at yoda's and really like them. My issue is seat count, I was hoping to get something that could seat 7, maybe 8 people. Obviously a 4 runner cant do that unless I build a super uncomfortable bench thing in the back. Due to this Land Cruisers may be the way to go. I will be looking for something with a solid front axle, older and cheaper so I wont get super pissed if I pinstripe it on a tree or something. Lockers (stock or aftermarket) are required. With the altitude changes, FI is required as well. Depending on the cost, I may make it my daily driver so it would have to be reliable as well. I have been looking at FJ80's as well as FJ60's. However I have a few questions that I cant seem to find.

• Does the FJ60 even have an option for a 3rd row seat?
  • Am I correct in understanding that the engines ending with an E are fuel injected? (In other words, I need to look for a 3F-E instead of a 3F)
  • Do all the FJ80's have a 3rd row or were they just options (I see some pics without them, but all have been modded so I cant tell if they were just removed.)
  • How strong are the stock axles / lockers? (Would you run 35"s/37"s on them? Are the stock lockers ok, or is it better to swap them to ARB or something like that?)
  • What engine is more reliable and easier to work on...3FE or 1FZ-FE?
Any help is appreciated...Thank you guys so much.

Ryan

I can answer some of that, surprised nobody else has.

I don't believe the 60 series had a 3rd row in the US markets.

Toyota is pretty constant in their engine coding - full engine names that end with E are EFI. First digit is tends to denote the 'generation' (always increases), 2nd or following 2 digits are engine family, next denotes head type, last character, if present, denotes EFI. Generally engine families share bellhousing bolt patterns, but bore/stroke can change (for instance - a corolla 4AFE is a 1.6L and a corolla 7AFE is a 1.8L.... should also be noted a corolla 4AGE is a 1.6L with a performance (twin cam, not the same as their denotions for a DOHC head, even though both are technically DOHC) head do not share cranks even though bore/stroke is the same). A corolla 4AF is not EFI. All are A series and can swap transmissions between them and they share engine mounts (even if not used, like the mount behind the timing cover in an AE86).

All 80 series with a sliding rear window (most) had a 3rd row of seats. There were some sold without, but is rare. However, the 3rd row is a set of jump seats that are easily removable, and as such isn't completely uncommon to be MIA.

I would say strength of the axles is more dependent on needs and expectations. There are lots of guys running 33s and 35s without issue. From my understanding the stock lockers are good but like anything made for the masses, can be improved.

The last question is probably highly dependent on year, vehicle, and your comfort level. It's been stated that the 3fe in the 80 series is underpowered, but many say the same about the 1fz.

You may also want to consider transmission options (AT only in US for 80 series)... AT A440f in 60s and 80s up through 1994, the the A343 change in 1995. Similarly in 1995 the electronis/wiring changed to OBD2, and many corresponding systems changed.

All of the 80 series guys will have a reason that their year is the best....

All USDM 80's w/ a 1FZ motor have the 3rd row captured nuts, not sure of 3FE generation for that.

The 3FE is bombproof, but underpowered for freeway use. Used at altitude with big tires & stock gears will feel sluggish.
The 1FZ will probably need a headgasket at some point, and the replacement is a redesigned piece (so even Toyota had to make a change) - beyond that it's a solid motor.

35" tires I consider safe on my e-locked 1FZ 80 - but if going 37's I highly prefer another type locker - it's "something" the jump from 315's(34.5") to 37's.

I'd decide what you really plan the use as - "probably a DD" means the "hardcore crawler" by your description (1 tons, 37's) can be the same rig -my old LX450 was- but the trade was it cost plenty to keep a crawler that was DD reliable & armored, and traffic friendly / safe all the time.

Decide on use, buy or build exactly to that spec - just because say 52" tires (ridiculous size to illustrate point) - become some sort of norm doesn't mean it works for you. Even armor or whatever is expensive to buy, or more expensive to buy after a repair if you didn't plan ahead.

I'd suggest if this is a new hobby to you to go out with buddies & see the minimum size gear some are successfully running - if you're just new to 'Yotas then you know the skill of some drivers means they can run smaller gear & get plenty of places where some 'bad luck types' need run a Sherman tank & even then, still need a tow out of every rock they roll over.

I dont think I would have the guts on my first rig to do obstacles such as hells gate or anything like that. More and more I look at these, I think getting a good expeditionary rig that has the essentials like a decent lift with 33"s or 35"s, Lockers, armored bumpers and rock sliders, may be all I really need to get rolling for the time being. For sure at least this way for the time being when I will have kids with me and as I get used to and comfortable with driving harder obstacles. I wont risk doing anything that would chance rolling the rig with kids in it. I still want to have fun though and do small things. I know from being passenger though that sometimes lockers are required just because of articulation and traction even on simple things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom