Land Cruiser de-evolution (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Odyseuss came by a few days ago and bought some of my leftovers, thanks for getting them out of my way! :) Here's what's left, if anyone needs these parts let me know. I posted these in the classifieds also...would be great if they can be put to use somehow.

Today I finished up the frame-side radius arm mounts.

Installed the knuckles, unit bearings, and tie rod. I'm going to do the drag-link-attached-to-tie-rod "inverted T" steering...which I don't like as much as other options, but it is simple, works decently well, and keeps everything out of the frame.

Made some spacers to go between the axle and frame, and set the thing down on its wheels to measure the wheelbase more accurately. The height shown is about 1.5" higher in front than it was in the "before" pics. (before measured 21.25", this is 22.75" center of hub to fender) Actual ride height will probably end up a tiny bit taller. Wheelbase in the pic is 113.5", which is 1.25" longer than factory. (in my case, I measured 112.625 on the driver side, and 111.875 on the passenger) I think I'll pull the axle back .5"...so that should be about .75" forward of stock. Anyone have any input on that dimension? I can still change it easily, since I haven't welded the upper coil mounts on yet.

And lastly, here's a pic showing the pinion/driveshaft angle. This is the factory front shaft, which is a bit short. I have a CV shaft that will be going on there eventually, which I bought from @Jake97T here. :)

Amazing work. But I have to tell you, if I wanted a solid front axle I would still have my 56 Dodge Power Wagon.

Amazing work. But I have to tell you, if I wanted a solid front axle I would still have my 56 Dodge Power Wagon.

You might be the only one who doesn't want a solid axle 100....

That may be true lol

I’ll be dropping my truck off Monday morning for the same treatment. It’s free right? Thanks in advance;)

my dream is to one day have the skills to do this

that is crazy fun!
And what a great shop you have, with a serious lathe!

Only one pic from today...but I shortened the radius arms 1/2", put the upper coil buckets in place, mounted the steering box (welded sleeves in the frame), reamed the tapered hole in the pitman arm, and made the drag link.

Good news: I was worried about the oil filter, but the drag link will go under it no problem.

Good news #2: I do NOT have to relocate the passenger side engine mount to clear the pumpkin...which also means I do not need to make a new oil pan. :)

I'm happy to see you've got a thread for this Carl. Its looking great, you'll be on the trail before too much longer.

You might be the only one who doesn't want a solid axle 100....

I guess there’s two of us cuz I don’t want one either.

That being said, this swap is cool as hell!

I guess there’s two of us cuz I don’t want one either.

That being said, this swap is cool as hell!

Why don't you want one? I guess if you don't wheel there is no major issues with IFS. I am tired of fiddling with torsion bars, CV's, and wish I could have some real articulation in the front end. Would just get an 80 but I really like the 4.7L.

Why don't you want one? I guess if you don't wheel there is no major issues with IFS. I am tired of fiddling with torsion bars, CV's, and wish I could have some real articulation in the front end. Would just get an 80 but I really like the 4.7L.

I moved up from an 80 to my 100. I loved the 80. I still think it's a remarkable truck. However, it's horribly underpowered, especially at altitude where I live. It also had a pretty rough ride, which I was over. It was triple locked and really fun to wheel but I just don't wheel much anymore. The 100 fits my needs more than the 80 does at this point.

I can understand why a SFA would be great in a 100.

I would love a SAS as well, @I Lean this is looking beautiful! Jealous.

The only reason I could see for not wanting a SFA on a 100 is that the 100 frame doesn't allow for as much travel as a 105 or 80. In Australia they usually chop the front frame off a 105 and use that for the SAS - but then you run into motor clearance issues with the 2UZ if I remember right - I think they mostly do that with the 1HD-FTE. Or maybe if you do more long dirt roads than crawling. But I'd much rather SAS a 100 than V8 swap an 80

I would love a SAS as well, @I Lean this is looking beautiful! Jealous.

The only reason I could see for not wanting a SFA on a 100 is that the 100 frame doesn't allow for as much travel as a 105 or 80. In Australia they usually chop the front frame off a 105 and use that for the SAS - but then you run into motor clearance issues with the 2UZ if I remember right - I think they mostly do that with the 1HD-FTE. Or maybe if you do more long dirt roads than crawling. But I'd much rather SAS a 100 than V8 swap an 80

I expected the frame to be an issue for compression travel--it is not. The oil pan is though....the axle will hit the pan probably 2" before it hits frame.

The width of the frame is a bit more of an issue if you want to run a separate coil and shock--that's why my coil mounts are all the way out on the knuckle. A coilover would be much easier to package, but I wanted the maintenance-free aspect of this route. :)

I expected the frame to be an issue for compression travel--it is not. The oil pan is though....the axle will hit the pan probably 2" before it hits frame.

The width of the frame is a bit more of an issue if you want to run a separate coil and shock--that's why my coil mounts are all the way out on the knuckle. A coilover would be much easier to package, but I wanted the maintenance-free aspect of this route. :)

Awesome. Yeah looks like you know what you're doing. I'm just in SLC, hope I can see it when you're done sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom