Builds 'KRIKEY' (stevesnj) Build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i think the front has 3 brake hoses. 1 on each end and 1 in the middle. which 2 are the part numbers for? thanks man

There are 4 in the front, only 2 get extended the center and passenger

Last edited:
There are 4 in the front, only 2 get extended the center and passenger

thanks for the great tip on the hoses. just to confirm this is the center one right? H380233 let me try to find a hose for the rear center now :p. great build so far, keep it going.

thanks for the great tip on the hoses. just to confirm this is the center one right? H380233 let me try to find a hose for the rear center now :p. great build so far, keep it going.

Thanks, to be hones I forget but the center has the only male end, just google the Doorman #s and pics show up

IMG_2480.jpg
Tested out the front TJM longs on a trip, not getting full extension yet, I think i need the rear longs to articulate properly.

Last edited:
Image 8.jpg
Image 8.jpg
Image 8.jpg
Image.jpg
Image 5.jpg
Image 11.jpg
Image 10.jpg
Image 10.jpg
Image 11.jpg
Image 5.jpg
Image.jpg
Image 8.jpg
BIRF SOUP!! So I noticed the tell tale signs of leaking around the wipers and decided to put in the new axle seals. Good thing I did! As you can see this was badly needed. After 9.5 hours of work with my courageous helper cleaning parts for me the job was finished by the luminance of two halogen 5000k degree lights warming up the night air and attracting every moth from within a 5 mile radius all of which seem to take Kamikaze dives into the fresh grease containers and the freshly packed Birfs. As my resilient helper pushed me to continue and as the smell of diesel that he cleaned the parts with filled the night air I finished the one side. With gusto, and my second wind, I was able to assemble the opposite side while the sound of the flatulent bottles of gear oil were squozen into the oil hungry diff. I was filling the hungry cavity where the birf resides with fresh grease at that time. The petrol in the air was intoxicating and mind numbing at the same time. But in the end, and after pepperoni pizza that had enough grease on it to take the place of the gear oil, the humans prevailed!! No time for a test drive, I just went in and drove off from my friends house leaving oil stains on the driveway that looked like a Ford truck was murdered there.

All in all it was such a fun experience. Having a friend help out with this job is not only helpful but fun. We both learned a lot. Like how to put the trunion race in the wrong way and getting it out. That was not fun actually. But only a 1/2 hour delay. We also learned that fart sounds from the gear oil bottles are hilarious no matter how tired you are.

Kevin thanks for the use of the driveway, tent, tools and pizza. I would be on day 3 if i did this job myself. YOU ROCK!!!!

Pics of the soup

Last edited:
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0323.jpg
In progress rear drawers with tool box drawer retrofit and sound insulated with large scraps of carpet padding.

Last edited:
IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0372.jpg
IMG_0372.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg
While attempting to fix the window modulator and failing I decided to get some foam and insulate for sound on both doors. Not a good as Dynomat but cheaper and plenty left over to double up if need be. Was $8 at Home Depot.

Last edited:
IMG_0426.jpg
IMG_0424.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0424.jpg
IMG_0426.jpg
Finished the other drawer and capped the drawer front with stainless from the toolbox.

Last edited:
Question about painting rims

OP I know it has been a while since you finished painting your rims, (which look awesome) but I wonder if you could school me on how you achieved the "glass" finish. I used the same paint and clear coat (with self-etching primer vs. the filler primer you used) and my rims look textured rather than glassy / glossy. I took a similar approach with prep, using stripper and a couple wire wheels until they looked somewhat polished. I also followed the instructions on the can for each coat, and completed everything within the prescribed curing / coating process.

Any tips would be much appreciated! Great build thread, by the way. Sounds like a lot of fun.:cheers:

Thanks hadmatter, I wish i had a better answer for you but if you did this the way I did then I couldn't say why yours are different. Do you have pics of your wheels I may be able to help you better.

Rim paint

I sure do. Can you see how the paint looks gritty? It's almost like the spray was too far away.

image.jpg

I sure do. Can you see how the paint looks gritty? It's almost like the spray was too far away.

Yikes! Looks like the clear is frosted or it could of been old. What temp did you spray the clear and check the back of the can near the bar code to make sure its clear. I shook the can after every minute or less of spray.

Last edited:
Rims paint

Temp was about 64* during the prime and paint. Surface was smooth after priming and paint expire date is 12/17. I think I need to go back to the drawing board, practice painting some other things before moving forward. I recall another wheel paint thread by PFran who said his came out "textured also. I wonder if the self-etching primer was the cause?

At any rate, thank you for the replies. Looking forward to reading up on the rest of your build. I like the idea of re-using the shelving bracket material for the drawer system.

Temp was about 64* during the prime and paint. Surface was smooth after priming and paint expire date is 12/17. I think I need to go back to the drawing board, practice painting some other things before moving forward. I recall another wheel paint thread by PFran who said his came out "textured also. I wonder if the self-etching primer was the cause?

At any rate, thank you for the replies. Looking forward to reading up on the rest of your build. I like the idea of re-using the shelving bracket material for the drawer system.

Good luck, I'm sure there is a reason it's spraying like that. Id return the can for a different one. It could of been exposed to freezing conditions somehow during shipment. Only thing that could effect paint like that. And the metal for the drawer system was free and I had a welder friend so free is always nice when it happens :p

Stevesnj, great job on the wheels.

THanks! :cheers:

IMG_2749.jpg
IMG_2743.jpg
IMG_2743.jpg
IMG_2749.jpg
November 2013

Replaced the very hard and rusted OME shocks with TJM XJS Gold Long Travel Shocks. HUGE ride difference for the better. Looking forward to test them out on the trail.

650GEL280B
TJM XGS Gold Edition Rear Shocks - Long Travel

Last edited:
Replaced the very hard and rusted OME shocks with TJM XJS Gold Long Travel Shocks. HUGE ride difference for the better. Looking forward to test them out on the trail.

You are not planning on tossing that perfectly good shock are you? :hillbilly:

Kidding aside, where did you get the TJM shocks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom