Knuckle / Tie Rod Pics....need to R2? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TJDIV

UP of MI.
Threads
Website
www.roamwherever.com
Couple pics of knuckles and tie rods.

I'm thinking it probably can't hurt to use the rebuild kits I have for the knuckles and the tie rod replacement kit? Steering is developing "locking" points. :eek:

And the brakes are pretty much dead. Going to try to bleed them, then gonna get with Dan-O Banan-O and get new partz.

Whaddya'll think?

Last edited:
It looks like there is water in the knuckle to me, you might want to check the front diff oil.

It might be the birfs binding.

That's ugly! Rebuild for sure!!

That shizz is nizzassty fo shizzzooo. Clean that crap up man before someone from the EPA sees it and cites you. :D Replacing the knuckle bearings will definitely help with those steering locks. Did that only once, kind of neat job to do, I thought. But even after I replaced the seals that are going bad in that pic they started to seep again after a year or so. Have fun wit it.

definitely in need of a rebuild...it's nice to be able to turn when you're done ;)

Well, since time, and tools are in short order around my place I may end up "shop dropping" it. However, I know I can do it if I do come across the time.

What tools are needed for the knuckles? [outside of regular garage/shed stocked tools?]

Thanks. Tom IV

My knuckle rebuild.

Well it's a little more than just a knuckle rebuild. :D

IMG_3823.jpg

Cut and turn is in order.

Took me 2.5 hrs to get this far.

definetly need a socket for the hub nuts. I think 54mm but they a different size earlier years.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat200c.tam?xax=18401

and a good socket set.

Brass drift $5

seal puller $9

c-clip pliers $18 (not necessary but nice)

Hammer

Crowbar

screwdrivers.

alllen wrench (maybe)

rebuild kit with knuckle bearing with races

a tub of good bearing grease.

good toilet paper

and the ability to visit the tech section of Mud to know what you are doing.

hhhhmmm...i got by without brass drift, or nut (did it the old fashioned way with screwdriver and hammer, cause i didn't have a 54mm at the time). you can use the screwdriver as a seal remover and a couple to pull the c clip, but plan on being there for a real long time. basic hand tools can do it. remember to keep the shims in same locations or plan on a fish scale also (about $5).

I tried using the same sized shims when I did it and still ended up having to take em off a couple times to get it right. I also just used my calibrated arm to measure a little tention. As long as it's not binding tight or sloppy loose it should be in the neighborhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom