KDSS question 2014 LC200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dropped my 2014 LC200 off at the local Toyota dealership to have my AIRBAG/Seatbelt recall service completed. While there I was asked by the female service writer if I wanted any other work completed while they had it for the day. I asked if they could adjusting my "KDSS" system and make sure my truck was level. I explained that there are two bolts that need to be loosened to regulate the system. I expressed my concern with not wanting to damage them and that having a certified Toyota technician address the issue was probably the way to go.
The Service woman then went on to tell me that the "air bag" suspension is a highly complex system and that she would have a mechanic look at it. I explained to her that my truck had "KDSS", not an air bag suspension. I read the definition from my phone to her...
The Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) technology was employed initially in the Lexus GX 470, and subsequently the 200 Series Toyota Land Cruiser. The system was invented and developed by Kinetic Pty Ltd, a small R&D company based in Dunsborough, Western Australia.[1] It optimally adjusts front and rear stabilizers based on a set of interconnected hydraulic cylinders. The interconnection is made up of hydraulic piping and a control cylinder which is located at the frame rail.[2] KDSS, which is fully mechanical, can disengage the stabilizer bars (the bars are jointed, allowing movement independent of one another).[2] This system will not engage during normal driving conditions, when hydraulic pressure is equal. In off-road conditions, KDSS activates when it senses that a wheel has dropped.
Her reply was "I am pretty sure it has air bags because the Lexus has them"!
When I picked up truck that afternoon she told me that the bolts were "frozen" and that there was nothing they could do. When I asked her if she knew of another shop that I could take my truck to since Toyota couldn't handle the task, she replied; "I wouldn't mess with it, the airbag suspension cost about $8K to replace, I would wait till it fails before you go messing with it"!
As I was attempting to leave she complemented my truck and asked if I had bought it that way? I assume referring to my wheels and TRD badging. I told her that I had added a few to things and deleted the chrome etc. since Toyota does not offer us a TRD version. She replied; "They do now"! Of course I was intrigued and took the bait... She pulled out her phone to show me a photo of a 2020 ARMY green Sequoia TRD Pro that was on their lot. I immediately replied, that is not a Land Cruiser, it is a Sequoia". She was like... "oh, I guess your right".

So my question, should I bother with attempted to break these bolts loose and adjust my KDSS or should I just keep it moving and not worry about it?

1568204367636.png

Don't waste your time with service advisor for sure. There are a ton of threads on here about how people have successfully freed up their KDSS valves.

Get a can of Kroil, spray them every morning for about a week, then use a high quality t handle 5mm or a good equivalent socket, you should be able to break them free. But remember, don’t loosen them any more than three full turns.

Got it, I already hit them with PB Blaster once. I will get some Kroil spray and give it a shot. Thanks

PB Blaster is fine as well.

I'd call Toyota and open a case regarding that dealership. That incompetence is staggering

I got my frozen KDSS bolts free. It took about 2 weeks but came down to patience and liberal application of PB blaster every other day. Don’t force it. Once free, I coated them in anti-seize and then coated the rest of the valve in LPS3. Should be good to go for a few years...

Also, there are a few who have had their KDSS valves replaced by the dealer because the were visibly rusted and wouldn’t open.

I would go the kroil route and try that first. Oh and definitely a different service advisor!

It sounds like you should buy a Lexus with AHC... :p

Good luck with the Kroil!

Thanks for the advice gents. I don’t even know why I went to this stealership any way. It’s always something with them.

Years ago I special ordered a 2017 TRD Pro Taco and gave them a deposit. Several months later I received a call from my Salesman who told me he had bad news. He told me that they were only getting one that year and that the one ordered had actually been promised to their top sales person. I was like WTF? He was like yeah sorry about that. I just told myself it wasn’t meant to be and got my deposit back. I found a new arrival at Another dealer in NE Philly 2 weeks later. Sold it 6 months after my purchase. Hated the new 6 cylinder. No torque. Main reason why I love the LC’s V8.

The KDSS valves in the attached pic look great.. shouldn’t have any problem getting them loose.

And someone posted above about LPS3 to prevent further rust. The stuff is amazing.

That was a random photo of the KDSS valves, I wish they were mine.
Still boggles my mine that a damn dealership refused to fix them or replace them and thought it was fine to to say “rusted no further action”. My LC has 25,000 miles on it and no rust.

75A26CD3-7884-4FA7-A52B-EA9D0B66E775.jpeg

Get a high quality 5mm to 3/8” ratchet bit. Snap-on or similar. You want very good tool steel. Then 3/8” extensions, this reduces flex. Then make sure the bit is fully seated in the bolt head, use a small hammer or striking object if needed. Then when actually trying to loosen it, push upward to keep the bit seated. I’d even consider using a floor jack with light pressure to totally prevent the bit walking out.

Oh, and I’d expect no more from most dealers. Make sure they didn’t break your recirculate door.

I appreciate all of the great advice. For now I am going to continue to lubricate it and in about 2 weeks and then I am going to take it to my mechanic and have him take a shot at it.
I am surprised Toyota chose to use such an inferior valve under the vehicle that is susceptible to rusting and off road action. Why wouldn’t they use a heavy duty bolt head on a Land Cruiser since things are supposed to last 25+ years?

I appreciate all of the great advice. For now I am going to continue to lubricate it and in about 2 weeks and then I am going to take it to my mechanic and have him take a shot at it.
I am surprised Toyota chose to use such an inferior valve under the vehicle that is susceptible to rusting and off road action. Why wouldn’t they use a heavy duty bolt head on a Land Cruiser since things are supposed to last 25+ years?

All they’d need to have done is paint the stupid valve! It’s a combination of lack of coating and a type of steel that is prone to dramatic corrosion. I’m guessing these weren’t tested in climates that have road salt.

The newer trucks don’t have 5mm Allen heads.. they are 8 or 10mm external hex. Much better.. but they still didn’t coat the bare metal. IMO LPS3 should be recommended to every single new LC200 buyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom