Kate (78 FJ40) meets 12HT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some updates!

More test fitting. The first shot is with the 40 radiator in place to check clearance and alignment. The 12HT is a tight fit but when you have it in the right spot its obvious. With the engine in this position I can just get my hand between the head and the firewall.
Second shot is the problem with late 60 power steering in a 40. The lower rad connection is right into the PS pump. I could probably get a custom 90 down there but it would still be tight and right into the fan shroud.
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG

More radiator fit testing. A friend suggested using an HJ60 rad which will take care of the lower outlet issue but causes a new issue with the mounting for the radiator. The radiator will just fit between the headlight connections and I will have to make a lower cradle for it like the stock 40 rad. Ill have to make a shroud for whichever rad ends up in there.
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG

some phone pics in the next few = crappy pics. I went with a new trans isolator on a later model 60 series cross-member. The output just clears the frame member but its all fitting well.
IMG_0333.jpg
IMG_0334.jpg

OKI

Randy,

You will need to bring this truck to Okinawa with you.

Landcrusher80

Randy,

You will need to bring this truck to Okinawa with you.

Landcrusher80

Rudy,

I would like to and I can but, you and I both know that the weather and winds on Oki will ruin a 40 in a heartbeat. I would rather keep it here in the U.S. where I can find good shelter for her.

Kate still has 1978 pin striping on her!

I will see you soon!

Take Care,

Randy

OOOHH Cant wait to see it in her

LOL...that's quotable stuff right there...:D

Lynchmob: I had the same problem with the 3FE rad I was using with my FJ80 swap. The bottom outlet pointed right at the PS pump. I was going to recore my rad to a HD 4 core anyway, so I just had the shop put in a 90* elbow while they had my rad. Seems to work quite well, actually...but it is tight near the shroud...so I do have to watch that.

Looks good so far! :beer:

looking good. so what did you decide on the radiator. I know you have thought of it but how about an electric fan?

looks like when I do mine I will have to do something about the rear frame tube since I'm going to be running dual cases.

Nice work.

looking good. so what did you decide on the radiator. I know you have thought of it but how about an electric fan?

Im leaning towards using the 60 rad. I dont really have any reason to use an electric fan. There is plenty of clearance between the rad and the fan and the fan is also centered enough that the shroud shouldnt be too hard to make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom