Just got this '69 from 1 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They look to be repainted at a minimum. The stock grey is very flat and that appears to have some metallic flake to it. If the rig is still running drums on all 4 corners, then you can take a look at the back and see if the rims are riveted together as opposed to welded. My old school original spare still has the rivets and that's a pretty easy way to tell if they are original or modified/newer.

Rivets! And they are 5.5. They must have gotten rusty and he painted them. I am going to have to repaint these back to a flatter grey.

I used to do a lot of body work with my dad back in the day. Good thing I saved all of the equipment. I'm planning on repainting it, but throwing a little flattener in the paint so its not so glassy.

Looks like stock rims to me, compared them to pictures of the 1962 rims I got rid of. Look the same. Any one know when those hub caps were stock, not sure of a 69. Also not sure but when did the stock wheels come in gray. Early 60's where black if I remember correctly, so at what point did that also change.

I'll be at the Puyallup swap meet as well. Bringing the cruiser with you? I'll have mine. probably get lost in the heep pile.

Looks like a NICE cruiser. Maybe you need new door hinge bushings to help with your door alignment? Check out this link from a fellow muder

https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/348666-fj40-door-hinge-bushings-brass.html

BTW, welcome to Mud :flipoff2: (official welcome salute)

Thanks. The hinges are pretty solid. No movement. I guess I'll see if the hinges can be aligned at the mounting point and possibly move the door stopper in.

But I do think I'm going to get those bushing at some point.

Rivets! And they are 5.5. They must have gotten rusty and he painted them. I am going to have to repaint these back to a flatter grey.

I used to do a lot of body work with my dad back in the day. Good thing I saved all of the equipment. I'm planning on repainting it, but throwing a little flattener in the paint so its not so glassy.

See...they looked OK to me ;)

Take your time, keep it all, and just enjoy yourself :beer:

Oh...and keep posting pics as you proceed with any work :D

I'll be at the Puyallup swap meet as well. Bringing the cruiser with you? I'll have mine. probably get lost in the heep pile.

I was hoping to bring it there but I have no intake/exhaust manifold gasket. I'm stuck. I bought one from Oreilly and didn't realize it was wrong. All of the local parts stores have it wrong. These gaskets are for 2F motors. I ordered the correct one from Specter, but it won't be here in time.

I'm hoping to find some tires at this swap meet. What are my chances?

The pic links are all whacked.. I'm getting warnings all over the place.

Be aware folks...

Cool pics tho...

Hey Craig, I haven't been to this swap meet before, I just heard about it a week ago. Should be cool. Can't say about the tires but I'm guessing there will be a bunch of choices. I've got some stock steelies for mine and am hoping to put some 33 10.50 Toyos or BFG's on them. Love to find some 33 9.50's but I hear they are unobtanium.
Good looking cruiser, it would be a shame to deviate from original considering what you've got there.
Oh, and keep the winch but find a stock bumper. That winch is period correct and a good looking winch for the 40.

Last edited:
Thanks for the story and photos - always nice to see a clean stocker that can easily be put back to its former glory.

Whatever you do, don't decide it's a slug (acceleration-wise) and wake up some day with an urge to put a V8 in it. Drive it for what it is.

Sorry about all this picture link issues. I'm not seeing that on my end. Maybe you're not using a MAC :p

I'm guessing the dealer put that bumper on it when they added the winch.

NO WAY will I ever change the motor. I love stock, original equipment. Except when it comes to these: ( o )( o )

Sorry about all this picture link issues. I'm not seeing that on my end. Maybe you're not using a MAC :p

I'm guessing the dealer put that bumper on it when they added the winch.

NO WAY will I ever change the motor. I love stock, original equipment. Except when it comes to these: ( o )( o )

some one will gladly take those off your hands.:D

Dude that Truck is SWEET! Could you take some more pics of the engine bay, I have a late 68-early 69 model and your engine area looks pretty stock.

Great find.

The pic links are all whacked.. I'm getting warnings all over the place.

Be aware folks...

Cool pics tho...

x2
Don't click on the picture link. A fake virus scan popped up before my real virus software kicked in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom