Just got this '69 from 1 owner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very, very cool old rig! I test drove one similar when I was looking to buy my 'Cruiser. The 3-on-the-tree is cool just cuz it's so rare!

I hpe you enjoy it for many years to come and keep it quite stock!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Dang does that have some kinda early smog pump setup? Whats with the air rail looking thing down the drivers side of the head? Way cool and awesome score! My 7-69 was close to this original but thanks to the PO some things are lost forever! Wish I could of skipped him and went straight to the original owner like you did!

That's the original emissions control stuff. Those letters I took pictures of are from 1970 when the dealer instructed the owner how to remove it all. I guess he didn't do it. The belt is not on the pump though so its doing nothing.

My71FJ40 those rims are from a 2/1982 toyota pickup...i bet your spare does have a stamp, you just cant see it well

the pick-up rims are probably these:
42601-60082 RN37, 38, 47, 48; 5.5JJ-15, W/OWHEEL CAP RETAINER

Boo :frown: Anybody out there looking to trade a stock set of fj40 wheels for these nice pickup ones? :p...:rolleyes: Oh well, the rig was a great find no matter what for only $700! Thanks again Dave aka crockett for a great deal!

Dude, thank you! I've been trying to find the right tires for days. At least 8 hours in research and reading. That link you sent is exactly what I am looking for.

Deans been looking at tires for years :)

he should be buying some soon :rolleyes:

:D

Cool...Let us know how they ride when you get them :)

JohnnyC is correct...a lot of research trying to find the correct tires, and parts, for my rig, but life got very difficult for us, so the project had to be put aside for a short spell...while in the bigger picture, it is just a toy, we do hope to see it on the road this summer.

Craig...just my opinion here, but I would probably NOT repaint that 40. Rather, I would take the steps needed to clean it up, and preserve it as it is. I have seen old Land Rovers preserved vs a restoration, and you just can't beat the character a rig can build up over the 40 + years of its life. Restoring it, and repainting it, would make it look like any other restored 40, and take away a lot of the uniqueness, and character yours has...just something to think about :cheers:

PS...mine was too far gone to simply "preserve" it as is...but that is what I would have done if it looked anything like yours :beer:

Craig...just my opinion here, but I would probably NOT repaint that 40. Rather, I would take the steps needed to clean it up, and preserve it as it is. I have seen old Land Rovers preserved vs a restoration, and you just can't beat the character a rig can build up over the 40 + years of its life. Restoring it, and repainting it, would make it look like any other restored 40, and take away a lot of the uniqueness, and character yours has...just something to think about :cheers:

PS...mine was too far gone to simply "preserve" it as is...but that is what I would have done if it looked anything like yours :beer:

Have to agree here. In fact I was going to post the same thing. Any truck can have new paint- but character cant be sprayed on. I'd just about give my left *** for a truck in that exact condition. Either way you go you have a great ride though.

Best!

Pete

I wouldn't be able to scan it without removing it. I don't want to remove it until I spend days figuring out how to get it off without destroying it. When I do repaint this I will be putting that decal back on. That thing is sick! Think about the story behind this sticker. This is a Chrysler and Plymouth dealer. All american. Then they decided to get some Toyotas...to the average American...Jap crap. They were most likely too afraid or embarrassed to put Toyota in large letters on this thing. I could be wrong but that's how it was in Ohio where I'm from with the GM plant int he town next to us.

I've been lucky enough to find 1 owner stock vintage stuff my whole life: 63 Beetle, 58 Vespa, 67 Nova, 69 GTO, and random bicycles. Lucky I guess.
View attachment 500504

If you look closly in this pic this cruiser was bought from the same dealer who changed their name, same story grandpa's cruiser bought it from the grandson, cheers, Larry
002resize.jpg

Very nice cruiser I would leave it stock. But I would get rid of the trailer lights being used as tail lights fimd the original tail lights and brackets. Plus where the trailer lights are there should be a reflector on each side. The original owner of my 68 trashed it on the inside then the second owner changes stuff after he bought it in 1974 like installing a 4 speed, buckets seats and repainting it after he put it on it's side. But at least he kept it rust free. I blame the first owner for everything. The second he is alright. I do wonder what the third the third owner will have to say when he buys it.

If anybody is interest I do know where there is a very clean rust free 1970 FJ40 with under 70K, one owner.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to leave the original paint for a long time. My plan is to go over with with rubbing compound and then polish. That will clean up all the little rust spots and keep it from getting worse. I'm just concerned about the undercarriage. But I'm in no rush. I just want to get it back to original first.

Here's what I have right now going on it: stock exhaust, tail lights, and reflectors. I'm getting all OEM stuff. Those damn reflectors are EXPENSIVE! Stuff should come today in UPS. I have to wait for the gaskets though. They should be here Tuesday.

Here's a questions for you "all originals" types like me. Do I take the new oil filter setup he put on it and put the big oil canister back on? He changed it so it takes modern filters, but gave me the original.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to leave the original paint for a long time. My plan is to go over with with rubbing compound and then polish. That will clean up all the little rust spots and keep it from getting worse. I'm just concerned about the undercarriage. But I'm in no rush. I just want to get it back to original first.

Here's what I have right now going on it: stock exhaust, tail lights, and reflectors. I'm getting all OEM stuff. Those damn reflectors are EXPENSIVE! Stuff should come today in UPS. I have to wait for the gaskets though. They should be here Tuesday.

Here's a questions for you "all originals" types like me. Do I take the new oil filter setup he put on it and put the big oil canister back on? He changed it so it takes modern filters, but gave me the original.

We "all originals" types like to call ourselves purists...and BTW...it is the worse kind of sickness :D

I would leave the oil filter system you have on now for a short spell. Do a few oil changes till the oil looks decent after 3000 K (more or less) , then swap back in the old canister type. Look at this way...you can put the canister back in any time since you have it, so why not take advantage of using reg filters for the time being...you have other stuff to look after :beer:

You can give your frame a good "cleaning", and spray it with fluid film or something similar. I have not done it yet, but have read about some who have, and seem to be happy with the way it protects the metal...check out their website :cheers:

Larry, that's crazy. It is the same dealer!

Yea, Same guy's, They sold Toyota's when they were junk except the Land Cruiser, cool that there are two survivors from that dealer, cheers, Larry

Nice rare find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom